Arturia Drumbrute
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 13-05-2017, 11:41 PM   #1
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317639
Arturia Drumbrute

After a moment of thinking too much to stoop to action, I decided to purchase the Arturia Drumbrute (Arrives tomorrow fingers crossed) I know I've said it in other threads but this is the hardware drum synth that I have been waiting for!! I will say that Arturia has won my heart with their product line. I think most of it is probably due in part to their clever gimmicks of introducing noobs like me to eurorack setups. But what I really look forward to in the Drumbrute is a more hands on approach to drum sequencing and breaking the shit out of patterns.The soundbank itself is really interesting in the sense that the cymbals and claps have a almost gritty factory sound which is something I am ok with. The kicks, they fall a bit short on punch but its nothing that cannot be fixed by running pedals through the machine. I'm very excited actually to experience the whole production and creation process that comes with hardware experimentation. But to be fair, I'm not giving up the ol FL DAW.

Advertisements

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jVs
relic (14-05-2017)
Old 14-05-2017, 02:30 AM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538130
Thanked 6,944 Times in 4,941 Posts
Re: Arturia Drumbrute

Lately I've been using Kick one as snare beef (low mids) or a top kick. Saturation or even distortion. Pretty heavy compression with a 1176 emulation (I'm using U-he Presswerk's preset).

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
jVs (14-05-2017)
Old 14-05-2017, 03:16 AM   #3
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Lately I've been using Kick one as snare beef (low mids) or a top kick. Saturation or even distortion. Pretty heavy compression with a 1176 emulation (I'm using U-he Presswerk's preset).
You know It never even occurred to me that one of the kicks as a means to make it a bit thicker. I've a boss distortion pedal that I will probably incorporate into this set up. I've thought about getting a multi fx unit for the DB but I think I am just getting ahead of myself right now.

------------------
Thanks to jVs
relic (16-05-2017)
Old 16-05-2017, 07:54 AM   #4
thanatos
Master of the LFO
thanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MC
MC Status: 733536

some samples and food for though
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
thanatos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thanatos
jVs (17-05-2017)
Old 17-05-2017, 12:37 AM   #5
jVs
IDMf Supporter
Scruffy City

And so it begins tonight. I will have to take back my prev statement about the kicks lacking punch because straight out of the box this thing is bestial. Maybe GS was just trying to ruin my experience or more realistically the amp they were running it through had some janky eq going on..Anyway who fucking cares, This thing is all the sexies.

------------------
Thanks to jVs
relic (17-05-2017)
Old 17-05-2017, 05:35 AM   #6
Failsafe
Granular Poster
Failsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

I'd really like a versatile analogue drum machine (in my price range) and this does seem like it could be the one. I just hope you can get away from the typical 808/909 kick sounds but I'm sure you'll be able to. And yea the sequencer looks great, I love the way you can set different steps for different sounds, polyrhythmic!
Failsafe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Failsafe
jVs (18-05-2017)
Old 18-05-2017, 03:47 AM   #7
jVs
IDMf Supporter
Scruffy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failsafe View Post
I'd really like a versatile analogue drum machine (in my price range) and this does seem like it could be the one. I just hope you can get away from the typical 808/909 kick sounds but I'm sure you'll be able to. And yea the sequencer looks great, I love the way you can set different steps for different sounds, polyrhythmic!
I'm reading through the manual right now and I have no doubt that a year from now I'll still be discovering new capabilities of this machine. And what makes it even better and worth every penny is that when I begin to effectively eurorack, every module is going to open up yet another level of possibilities and make the DB even greater!

If it helps you on any level of your consideration, Know that you are guaranteed that the sting of buyers remorse and second guesses will be nonexistent.

------------------
Thanks to jVs
SampleScienc (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 09:41 PM   #8
SampleScienc
Knob Twiddler
SampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond repute
Canada
MC Status: 2860

Quote:
Originally Posted by jVs View Post
I'm reading through the manual right now and I have no doubt that a year from now I'll still be discovering new capabilities of this machine. And what makes it even better and worth every penny is that when I begin to effectively eurorack, every module is going to open up yet another level of possibilities and make the DB even greater!

If it helps you on any level of your consideration, Know that you are guaranteed that the sting of buyers remorse and second guesses will be nonexistent.
I've been thinking about buying one for a couple of weeks now. I tried it at a store and really like the sound and interface, but couldn't help but feel that for 600$ CAD, it's a bit expensive. I decided to buy a MS-20 mini instead and decide in a few months if the DrumBrute is worth it for me. I already have the Akai Tom Cat and Rhythm Wolf, so it's not like my analog drums needs aren't covered. But there's still something interested and special about the DrumBrute that makes it stays on my mind. The random function on it is really interested and the "swing" (I don't remember if it was called that) seems very groovy.

In any case, you're right about the modular integration. In an Eurorack it must be a really fun and versatile machine!

------------------
SampleScienc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to SampleScienc
jVs (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 12:16 AM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleScienc View Post
I've been thinking about buying one for a couple of weeks now. I tried it at a store and really like the sound and interface, but couldn't help but feel that for 600$ CAD, it's a bit expensive. I decided to buy a MS-20 mini instead and decide in a few months if the DrumBrute is worth it for me. I already have the Akai Tom Cat and Rhythm Wolf, so it's not like my analog drums needs aren't covered. But there's still something interested and special about the DrumBrute that makes it stays on my mind. The random function on it is really interested and the "swing" (I don't remember if it was called that) seems very groovy.

In any case, you're right about the modular integration. In an Eurorack it must be a really fun and versatile machine!
I saw a used on going for $350 USD on Elektronauts. Hold off and maybe look for a lightly-used one on a deal : )

The MS-20 mini is wonderful btw. Really good at percussion as well. Some great online tutorials on youtube.

------------------
Thanks to relic
jVs (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 07:48 AM   #10
jVs
IDMf Supporter
Scruffy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleScienc View Post

For me one of the greatest features in addition to running guitar petals through each or whatever suits your needs, each individual channel on the DB you can beatslice the fuck out of it which if you are running a grainulizer or bit crusher through it, You're going to end up with devastating effects. You're not wrong to go with the MS-20 mini and to be completely honest, If it were not putting me above my means I would have financed that beast as well. But now, I am yet again in a dilemma as to what direction I want to go next because I did the one thing I never should have done, I fucked with a Korg Monologue kinda knowing good and damn well it was going to make me think to myself that it will fit quite nicely in my grand scheme of things.

Now that I really think about it, I probably was faring better with a drug addiction as opposed to this hardware fever, FFS I knew exactly what I wanted and it was 300X cheaper. In fairness, Everyone I talked to about hardware said that an idea of a "few" pieces was an illusion of enabling property.

------------------
Old 06-06-2017, 08:37 PM   #11
SampleScienc
Knob Twiddler
SampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond repute
Canada
MC Status: 2860

Quote:
I saw a used on going for $350 USD on Elektronauts. Hold off and maybe look for a lightly-used one on a deal : )

The MS-20 mini is wonderful btw. Really good at percussion as well. Some great online tutorials on youtube.
Just got the MS-20, played with it for 2 hours. This synth is no jokes! I'm already in love.

------------------
SampleScienc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to SampleScienc
relic (09-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 09:56 PM   #12
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19460

I have owned 2 drum brutes, and they are pretty good for what they are. I want to save up for some mother 32s and just do an album with like two m32 and a drum brute. It has great quality, and for the price I think its great compared to our other options.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to NewWorldOrder
SampleScienc (07-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 06:44 PM   #13
Caoutchou
Minor Glitch
Caoutchou has a spectacular aura aboutCaoutchou has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Is it me or does it sound muffled? Had a chance to play it in a music store and wasn't a big fan of the sound. Just sounds like the kick isn't really 'punchy'.
Caoutchou is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:21 PM   #14
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoutchou View Post
Is it me or does it sound muffled? Had a chance to play it in a music store and wasn't a big fan of the sound. Just sounds like the kick isn't really 'punchy'.
Did you listen on headphones or just whatever speakers the music shop had it routed to? Did you compare it to other drum machines on the same listening device? Not saying you are wrong, in fact I don't entirely disagree. Kick 1 is a pretty narrow sweet spot and sounds kinda like "that 90's techno kick". Kick 2 is softer kind of 808 thing going on.

No analog drum machine ever is going to sound like a big layered, distorted, compressed and EQ within an inch of its life kick right out of the box : ) I find that the DrumBrute likes a lot of post processing. Which I don't mind at all because it allows a lot of different flavors.

I often layer the two kick voices. Now you've got all kinds of good going on and lots of control. Kick one as top kick, kick 2 the bottom. Then send it through the master out so you can use the filter. Choose the HPF, turn up the resonance and adjust your frequency until you are emphasizing the fundemental of the kick.

If you are using both kicks you can also play with accents on each and not always triggering both at the same time, so if you have a tune with a busy kick drum you can get some fun variations going on.

All the famous Roland x0x boxes turned out to be terrible for the use they were initially intended but spawned tons of music being used in different ways. I approach any instrument like this. OK--so the kick drums are not the tits right out of the box--how can I use the options the DrumBrute presents to get someting unique/usable? As I said above, I think, the Kick one is also nice to layer with the snare for a bigger snare sound. You could probably do the fiilter trick for snares too if you really need that 200hz snare thump.

In our modern world of electronic music, I don't think the DrumBrute is one and done solution for percussion for most people. But it sure ain't a shabby start.

Also, screw anyone that doesn't like the DrumBrute cymbal and oh/ch....SO DURTY

------------------
Thanks to relic
jVs (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 10:54 PM   #15
jVs
IDMf Supporter
Scruffy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoutchou View Post
I had the same initial impression when I first derped with it, Of course looking back on it now the amp that it was fed through had an EQ built into it, An EQ that I made no effort to adjust. One thing I can say for fact is that the bass is surprisingly crunchy out of the box. I've had mine for going on a month now and there is a day that I don't sit down with this thing and bust out something ridiculous. If you had a few FX pedals running to and from this thing, you could easily do a performance as a standalone device. It fits well into my workflow just because it was literally built with every function to slice and manipulate offbeat patterns.
And another cool function is that if you set the bpm 200+ it sounds more like a synth and less like drum patterns.

------------------
Thanks to jVs
relic (09-06-2017)
Old 16-06-2017, 08:08 AM   #16
Detroit-Berlin
Minor Glitch
Detroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

The Brute is also a good companion to other drum machines when performing live, very intuitive and hands-on.
Detroit-Berlin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 02:30 PM   #17
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit-Berlin View Post
The Brute is also a good companion to other drum machines when performing live, very intuitive and hands-on.
Ive not done much live jamming on the DBrute but it seems a very capable live instrument.

------------------
Old 17-06-2017, 10:54 PM   #18
Detroit-Berlin
Minor Glitch
Detroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to allDetroit-Berlin is a name known to all

Quote:
Ive not done much live jamming on the DBrute but it seems a very capable live instrument.
Yeah, it's great but not as a main unit because occasionally it will freeze.
I use a midi clock with reset button in case that happens, everything keeps playing and I can restart the brute and mix it in when it's up and running again. So I don't trust it as a master unit in my setup.
Old 17-06-2017, 11:00 PM   #19
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit-Berlin View Post
Yeah, it's great but not as a main unit because occasionally it will freeze.
I use a midi clock with reset button in case that happens, everything keeps playing and I can restart the brute and mix it in when it's up and running again. So I don't trust it as a master unit in my setup.
Ive got a reset button in my MIDI signal chain. Pretty essential in general imo.

------------------
Old 18-06-2017, 11:12 AM   #20
Detroit-Berlin
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Ive got a reset button in my MIDI signal chain. Pretty essential in general imo.
True, but it's (at least I think it is) not so common that the reset triggers at the beginning of the next bar which my ERM midi clock does and thats a feature I truly love

Advertisements