IDMf Mailing List
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Suggestions & Feedback Constructive feedback space about the forum, the IDMf label, or improvements you'd like to see.

« Regarding PMs | - »
Old 29-11-2017, 06:38 PM   #1
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184410
Thanked 3,688 Times in 2,749 Posts
IDMf Mailing List

Any chance of somebody with the power to do so setting up a mailing list..GMail would do..so when the site goes down like it recently did, you could fire off a notice to everyone that the site will be back up and that it hasn't vanished into cyberspace completely?

It wouldn't take that much time to set something like this up and would need only minor tweaking / updating of the addresses, as new ones needed to be added. The notice could be saved..so it's a case of writing it only once and then mailing it out to the list when needs dictate.

Tbh, it kinda sucks to be left wondering just what what the hell is going on and if the site will be back up or not. We don't need details or anything..just to be let know that the issue is only temporary and to sit tight.

Conversely, if the site ever does fold, it would be a handy system to have in place to at least let folks know the forum had folded.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 06:45 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541480
Thanked 7,011 Times in 4,983 Posts
Re: IDMf Mailing List

I know not everyone likes or uses Facebook, but we do usually make an accounement there.

That being said, I think we’ve chatted recently about doing a maillist and potentially doing some kind of news letter. We’ve got a lot of plans. Things are probably about to slow to a hault for the holidays, but after that we will be tackling needs and wants alike. From what I know of the board software it may actually be a huge task to grab every member email.

If one of the admins can easily get me a member email list, I’d be happy to set things up. I think I’d recommend something people can unsubscribe from themselves. Having to manually remove people from a mailing list is busy work that just won’t get done.

Might look into MailChimp or some other newsletter services.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (29-11-2017)
Old 29-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #3
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 41710

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Any chance of somebody with the power to do so setting up a mailing list..GMail would do..so when the site goes down like it recently did, you could fire off a notice to everyone that the site will be back up and that it hasn't vanished into cyberspace completely?

It wouldn't take that much time to set something like this up and would need only minor tweaking / updating of the addresses, as new ones needed to be added. The notice could be saved..so it's a case of writing it only once and then mailing it out to the list when needs dictate.

Tbh, it kinda sucks to be left wondering just what what the hell is going on and if the site will be back up or not. We don't need details or anything..just to be let know that the issue is only temporary and to sit tight.

Conversely, if the site ever does fold, it would be a handy system to have in place to at least let folks know the forum had folded.
There is that Discord channel in the meantime! It can be pulled from a google search even when the forum is down
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 07:36 PM   #4
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Thanks guys for chiming in on this.

For the record, I'm talking about an official mailing list to be used for offical business..nothing wrong with FB / Discord if you use them, but not everybody either does or wants to..and it shouldn't be expected of members to have to join something else in order to find out what's happening with this site. I'm not saying or implying that has been suggested..just that there's really no reason NOT to have a mailing list for a member-based site like this..it's something really should have if we're talking about doing things seriously.

Anyway, by the sounds of it, it's already in the works..so I'm just chewing the cud here..thanks the replies.

------------------
Old 29-11-2017, 08:52 PM   #5
TheStumps
Knob Twiddler
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 7510

I'm for this idea!
One thing.
May want to make a mail list that can be subscribed to by members rather than automatically subscribing, as a courtesy as some people see it as spam or haven't been here in a long time.

------------------
You, or anyone else, are free to do anything with the music that I make. I consider all of my productions to be public domain. If someone asks, I will give them the source files and any related sample files if they are needed. Music is a dialogue, not a speech. Any listener must be free to become the speaker at any time for the life of the dialogue to be retained. Let us, then, discuss in tone.
TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TheStumps
relic (29-11-2017)
Old 29-11-2017, 10:17 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStumps View Post
I'm for this idea!
One thing.
May want to make a mail list that can be subscribed to by members rather than automatically subscribing, as a courtesy as some people see it as spam or haven't been here in a long time.
Agreed. I don't want to auto sign the whole forum really.

------------------
Old 29-11-2017, 11:50 PM   #7
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33560

Don't mail me, bro.

Seriously, good idea, but it needs to be opt in, not opt out as far as a newsletter-y thing or release announcements go.

I do think it's a good idea to collect a separate and complete list to use for things like site outages - like 1-2 emails a year for only the most important of things (ie not releases or whatever).

It's the interwebs. No reason you can't do both.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
relic (29-11-2017)
Old 29-11-2017, 11:54 PM   #8
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Thanks for the input guys. It makes it way easier when we know what people want instead of guessing. My feeling was a significant amount of people wouldn't want to an opt-out scenario for a newsletter.

------------------
Old 30-11-2017, 02:18 AM   #9
TheStumps
Knob Twiddler
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 7510

You can also make the opt-in option available on sign-up.

------------------
You, or anyone else, are free to do anything with the music that I make. I consider all of my productions to be public domain. If someone asks, I will give them the source files and any related sample files if they are needed. Music is a dialogue, not a speech. Any listener must be free to become the speaker at any time for the life of the dialogue to be retained. Let us, then, discuss in tone.
TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 03:28 AM   #10
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 14660

Mailing list is a good idea.
Didn't know there's a Idmf Facebook page^^

------------------
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Schnork
relic (30-11-2017)
Old 30-11-2017, 07:08 AM   #11
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903759
Thanked 3,491 Times in 2,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
If one of the admins can easily get me a member email list, Id be happy to set things up. I think Id recommend something people can unsubscribe from themselves. Having to manually remove people from a mailing list is busy work that just wont get done.
If current admins have server / db access they should be able to easily extract this. Roo, Lol, if you do PM me and I will send you the query to run...

Maybe some legal issues regarding opt-in / solicitation. However, I think if first email goes out with an unsubscribe / opt-out message prominently displayed then should be okay. Plus, pretty sure IDMf'ers wouldn't be too bothered by this.

If they don't have DB access, I'm pretty sure I have some DB backups floating around from a while back which I could extract a list for you guys.

Just wouldn't include anyone who's signed up since I revoked my access and stopped taking snapshots.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 08:00 AM   #12
Dr. Sleaze
Microknight
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 4010

Would it not be possible to put the option in the control panel. Or make a sticky with a link, to where we can put our email. You should at least catch the regulars that are on the forum often.

------------------
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 08:53 AM   #13
Sound--
Minor Glitch
Sound-- has much to be proud ofSound-- has much to be proud ofSound-- has much to be proud ofSound-- has much to be proud ofSound-- has much to be proud ofSound-- has much to be proud ofSound-- has much to be proud ofSound-- has much to be proud ofSound-- has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1260

From edit options in the control panel:
"From time to time, the administrators may want to send you email notices.

If you do not want to receive these notices, disable this option. "

There is an option already if you want to receive email from admin/opt out, as well as the same option for other forum members.
Sound-- is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 06:12 PM   #14
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound-- View Post
From edit options in the control panel:
"From time to time, the administrators may want to send you email notices.

If you do not want to receive these notices, disable this option. "

There is an option already if you want to receive email from admin/opt out, as well as the same option for other forum members.

Yeah, but the point is we should have a list based off the system / servers, in case the host goes down..meaning even admin would have no way of contacting anyone to let them know what is happening.

If a list is set up and run off the system..say, with the likes of GMail or some other service..then they just log into that and fire out a message to all those on the list saved in the contacts folder. I'm basically talking about a backup system to contact folks aside from the built in one that already exists here for the likes of newsletters and in-house updates..which is the feature you're talking about.

------------------
Old 01-12-2017, 02:09 AM   #15
Sound--
Minor Glitch
Sound-- has much to be proud ofSound-- has much to be proud ofSound-- has much to be proud ofSound-- has much to be proud ofSound-- has much to be proud ofSound-- has much to be proud ofSound-- has much to be proud ofSound-- has much to be proud ofSound-- has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1260

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Yeah, but the point is we should have a list based off the system / servers, in case the host goes down..meaning even admin would have no way of contacting anyone to let them know what is happening.

If a list is set up and run off the system..say, with the likes of GMail or some other service..then they just log into that and fire out a message to all those on the list saved in the contacts folder. I'm basically talking about a backup system to contact folks aside from the built in one that already exists here for the likes of newsletters and in-house updates..which is the feature you're talking about.
I'm assuming admin can use the info already here, meaning emails and if users opted out, to make such a list.
Sound-- is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Sound--
A.M (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #16
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound-- View Post
I'm assuming admin can use the info already here, meaning emails and if users opted out, to make such a list.
Yeah..most likely..that's what Jaded is talking about doing.

Advertisements

------------------

« Regarding PMs | - »