How to gain more popularity?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2017, 07:25 PM   #1
soundmodel
Microknight
soundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant future
Finland
MC Status: 1810
How to gain more popularity?

So I've made (I think) reasonable music sketches for some years now.

But I'm wondering why aren't I getting any publicity? Probably because I'm not seen in anywhere.

What should I do to get the people that like my music to show it?

Advertisements

------------------
soundmodel is offline   Thanks
Old 02-11-2017, 07:44 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 183860
Thanked 3,677 Times in 2,739 Posts
Re: How to gain more popularity?

There's a couple of threads on here about this topic..I know I've read them over the years, but I can't for the life of me remember just where they are on here. Try using the forum search feature up on the top menu bar and see what it give you. There's a recent one [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
..but I know there are others.

The question you're asking is really a hard one to answer, as we can all suggest various "things" you can do to promote your music, but "to gain more popularity" is not really something you can get a solid answer to, as what you're asking depends on how others view you as an artist and what they think of your work in general..and both of those things are going to differ from person to person.

Basically, nobody on here can tell you how to make yourself more popular to others..all we can do is try and give you some idea of the options open to you on how to promote yourself and your music..the popularity will take care of itself if you get the other two right.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 02-11-2017, 08:09 PM   #3
Iyashi Sound
Microknight
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4360

Perhaps your expectations have been unrealistic to begin with.

Wanting people to praise you seems a bit narcissistic to me to be honest, but I also know how low self esteem can be a real bitch sometimes.

hmm..

Have you tried actually finishing some tracks for a demo and sending it out to labels that might be interested?

Judging from the rather sloppy mess of unfinished tracks on your streaming accounts, I'm not really surprised if no one has headhunted you so far. It gives me the impression that you still need to mature as a producer.

So I'd suggest you start focusing on finishing your tracks, and to start compiling the best finished tracks for a demo, that you can then send out when it's ready.

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 02-11-2017 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: spelling
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks
Old 02-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #4
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyashi Sound View Post
Perhaps your expectation have been unrealistic to begin with.

Wanting people to praise you seems a bit narcissistic to me to be honest, but I also know how low self esteem can be a real bitch sometimes.

hmm..

Have you tried actually finishing some tracks for a demo and sending it out to labels that might be interested?

Judging from the rather sloppy mess of unfinished tracks on your streaming accounts, I'm not really surprised if no one has headhunted you so far. It gives me the impression that you still need to mature as a producer.

So I'd suggest you start focusing on finishing your tracks, and to start compiling the best finished tracks for a demo, that you can then send out when it's ready.

Following on what Iyashi suggested, I'd tell you not to upload everything you make..and then when you do upload, make sure it's finished and really shines to the best of your ability. You don't have to be great to gain a following..many listeners like to see their artists grow over time and be able to track the progression of their style..but you really need to publish / release only finished work..short demos and sketches are not really enough to build any sort of following.

Last edited by A.M; 02-11-2017 at 11:29 PM.. Reason: Left out a very important "NOT"

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 02-11-2017, 11:24 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8540880
Thanked 6,999 Times in 4,974 Posts

Me three--not even most musicians want to listen to "sketches". And given the ocean of well done enough, but ultimately average music on the internet it's going to be a chore, beyond just making something special that people will want to listen to, for one to get noticed.

I think the model of performing and and interacting with a real audience to create a fan base of return listeners is far from outdated. People just want to believe they'll become internet famous and can do it all from their bedroom. I'd say this is highly unlikely. If you really want to do it, you'll have to leave your studio (IMO).

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks
Old 02-11-2017, 11:31 PM   #6
Flexagon
Regular Freak
Flexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of lightFlexagon is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

Agree with everything above.

Will also add this. You are only following one other user on both HearThis.at and Soundcloud. Unless you engage with other people no-one will know you exist.
Flexagon is offline   Thanks
Old 02-11-2017, 11:59 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8540880
Thanked 6,999 Times in 4,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexagon View Post
Agree with everything above.

Will also add this. You are only following one other user on both HearThis.at and Soundcloud. Unless you engage with other people no-one will know you exist.
I'm not getting on the OP's case here, but I think this is reflective of a lot of bedroom producers. I used to believe this way as well--that one could just passively generate a fan base by uploading listenable music. Given what even free digital tools seem to promise, it seems possible. But the reality is the artist has to break the ice. There is a lot of noise in the average first, world Westernized mind.

The only way to maybe go about a legitimately passive route is to have fantastic music and and pay for it to be on Spotify.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks
Old 03-11-2017, 12:01 AM   #8
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33560

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Me three--not even most musicians want to listen to "sketches". And given the ocean of well done enough, but ultimately average music on the internet it's going to be a chore, beyond just making something special that people will want to listen to, for one to get noticed.

I think the model of performing and and interacting with a real audience to create a fan base of return listeners is far from outdated. People just want to believe they'll become internet famous and can do it all from their bedroom. I'd say this is highly unlikely. If you really want to do it, you'll have to leave your studio (IMO).
I totally agree with all of this. I'd also say the opposite is true. If you make incredible music and put it out, people who enjoy that style will find it. When was the last time that anyone came across a truly amazing musician that no one else knew about? Nobody ever says "and here's the logical progression of Zepplin and they've got 8 albums on Soundcloud and I've discovered them", because someone is already into them if they're actually that good. Really amazing music gets found and passed around these days because it's too easy not to. There are no Aphex Twins languishing in obscurity in the internet age.

But the fact is that most people (me, you, that person) don't make music that's that amazing. We make superficially interesting tunes that are familiar and easy to digest in whatever genre we choose, but we're not breaking meaningful ground. The only way to propel that sort of music is through networking, live performance, and attaching something to it beyond the pure musicality. People who put a song on Soundcloud and wonder why they're not attracting a following are likely deluding themselves as to the quality and impact of their work.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks
Old 03-11-2017, 12:04 AM   #9
MOODi
IDMf's latest spammer
MOODi has a spectacular aura aboutMOODi has a spectacular aura aboutMOODi has a spectacular aura about
Saskatoon
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
The only way to maybe go about a legitimately passive route is to have fantastic music and and pay for it to be on Spotify.
Even then, Spotify isn't guaranteeing you views, but getting yourself on Playlists is a great way to get views and listens on Spotify though - there's no denying that.

I think the honest to god way to becoming popular is to...

A) Make good, quality music

B) Network with people, both online - and in person (this one is specifically important if you live in a city that has any sort of Electronic scene as the best way to get your music out there in person, is DJing - and in order to do so you need to meet the people that book and throw the events in your city).
MOODi is offline   Thanks
Old 03-11-2017, 12:18 AM   #10
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 154410
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,855 Posts

I walked in here just to kill your MASSIVE, MASSIVE ego, call you a cunt, walk out and slam the door behind me.

But I will refrain from doing any of those things.

Here's a tip: do what other people don't do. Think outside the box. Fuck the internet. Get popular in your town/country. Kick that shit in the balls and stop lazily believing you will get pre-chewed answers on a forum full of old jaded fucks who don't give a shit about being popular anymore. Be badass and unstoppable. And flush that ego down the shitter. It will hurt. Do it. Earn respect.
thom is offline   Thanks
Old 03-11-2017, 06:08 AM   #11
soundmodel
Microknight
soundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant future
Finland

BTW, I've learned about the sketch thing from Boards of Canada's Old Tunes albums.

They featured a lot of mostly short, but strongly themed tracks. One could say them to lack the structure of a "full song", but then again I interpret them as full songs, even if they're short.

Tracks can work even when they're just e.g. 1:30 long. What matters is that the full length is "intentional".

I hate listening to tracks where it seems like some parts have been written "in order to fill in something", rather than really contribute to the theme.

------------------
Old 03-11-2017, 06:18 AM   #12
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmodel View Post
BTW, I've learned about the sketch thing from Boards of Canada's Old Tunes albums.

They featured a lot of mostly short, but strongly themed tracks. One could say them to lack the structure of a "full song", but then again I interpret them as full songs, even if they're short.

Tracks can work even when they're just e.g. 1:30 long. What matters is that the full length is "intentional".

I hate listening to tracks where it seems like some parts have been written "in order to fill in something", rather than really contribute to the theme.

That may very well be so, but the point here is YOUR "tracks" aren't coming across as full tracks..plus BOc have a huge following, so they can basically do whatever the hell they like and their fans will love it regardless.

You don't have that luxury at this stage..you need to build a solid body of work that will engage the listeners out there and, hopefully, result in them sticking around and following you in future.

In short, you asked a question and you've got a bunch of answers back from us here, so take from those answers what you like..or don't, it's obviously up to you in the end what you do and how you do it.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Thanks to A.M
relic (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 07:13 AM   #13
soundmodel
Microknight
Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
That may very well be so, but the point here is YOUR "tracks" aren't coming across as full tracks..plus BOc have a huge following, so they can basically do whatever the hell they like and their fans will love it regardless.

You don't have that luxury at this stage..you need to build a solid body of work that will engage the listeners out there and, hopefully, result in them sticking around and following you in future.

In short, you asked a question and you've got a bunch of answers back from us here, so take from those answers what you like..or don't, it's obviously up to you in the end what you do and how you do it.
Yes my tracks aren't full tracks.

But I haven't understood that it would be problematic. Because I personally can be "amazed" by even short segments of audio. By the way, I can usually decide whether I like a song or not by just listening to 5-10 seconds of it. If I don't like the instruments/sounds in that part, then I don't like the track, even if it had other parts that I'd like. A good track for me is then a track where every second is enjoyable.

Also, my approach to music making works this way. I tend to try to sketch the "main thematic" part first and then build around that. Since if I'm not satisfied with what I have initially, then I don't understand how it could magically work further down the line.

------------------
Old 03-11-2017, 01:48 PM   #14
Iyashi Sound
Microknight
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4360

Quote:
I tend to try to sketch the "main thematic" part first and then build around that. Since if I'm not satisfied with what I have initially, then I don't understand how it could magically work further down the line.
I suggest studying Beethoven's piano music then. Many of the themes he uses are overly simple or downright unsatisfactory if seen in isolation. The compositions are then about exploring them in spite of their flaws. It's not magic, but skill at work.
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks
Old 03-11-2017, 07:50 PM   #15
A.M

Quote:
Yes my tracks aren't full tracks.

But I haven't understood that it would be problematic. Because I personally can be "amazed" by even short segments of audio. By the way, I can usually decide whether I like a song or not by just listening to 5-10 seconds of it. If I don't like the instruments/sounds in that part, then I don't like the track, even if it had other parts that I'd like. A good track for me is then a track where every second is enjoyable.

Also, my approach to music making works this way. I tend to try to sketch the "main thematic" part first and then build around that. Since if I'm not satisfied with what I have initially, then I don't understand how it could magically work further down the line.
Good luck with that..hope it all goes well for you.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Thanks to A.M
relic (04-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 05:29 AM   #16
st3aLth
Soundscaper
st3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3410

Spam
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
In simple terms, spam is the sending of commercial or any other advertising to persons who receive it do not want.

Last edited by st3aLth; 12-11-2017 at 05:34 AM..

------------------
st3aLth is offline   Thanks
Old 12-11-2017, 05:54 AM   #17
Vault O)))
Still Retarded™
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 41710

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3aLth View Post
Spam
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
In simple terms, spam is the sending of commercial or any other advertising to persons who receive it do not want.
Does this extend to retarded posts?

------------------
Placeholder for Unregistered's next dick pic
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Vault O)))
ms_ (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 08:58 AM   #18
SaneTBP
Minor Glitch
SaneTBP is a name known to allSaneTBP is a name known to allSaneTBP is a name known to allSaneTBP is a name known to allSaneTBP is a name known to allSaneTBP is a name known to all
Espoo
MC Status: 560

co-signing almost all of the feedback ITT, gave you some more in SC!
SaneTBP is offline   Thanks
Old 12-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #19
Toothpinch
Radial Developer
Toothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1960

Popularity comes from promoting. Advertising. Talking to people. Making connections.
The top artists on Soundcloud are sub-par rappers. Did they get big replays by sitting on their hands?
Nope.
They bought plays, talked to people and acted bigger than they were to the right people.

"Get gud" is only part of it.. you gotta hustle hustle hustle.

You're only following 1 person on Soundcloud..
Not going to get anywhere in isolation.

As for me? Am I really one to give advice? Only because I've been Googling the same thing and getting the same answers as above. And it's been working (be as it may)
I'm far from a superstar - but I've been getting much more traffic as of late and it's pretty nice.

Last thing - case in point - you at least got a few of us to listen to your songs just because of this post.

----

Last last thing.. Being social to other artists / fans is great too - I've made new friends and feel like it's more than "just making music and trying to get heard".
I talk to people all over the world now and it's expanded my feeling of just being a bedroom musician to something bigger.

So, I'll give you a follow - and you follow me back.
That'll be one more connection.

Last edited by Toothpinch; 12-11-2017 at 01:57 PM..

------------------
Toothpinch is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Toothpinch
A.M (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 02:34 PM   #20
soundmodel
Microknight
Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothpinch View Post
Popularity comes from promoting. Advertising. Talking to people. Making connections.
The top artists on Soundcloud are sub-par rappers. Did they get big replays by sitting on their hands?
Nope.
They bought plays, talked to people and acted bigger than they were to the right people.
Yeah I've realized that even if I may make more technical music than musicians on average, I'm probably just too shy to promote myself, because I fear rejection (because I work in such esoteric genres).

But then again, Aphex Twin is esoteric, but look how popular some of his tracks have become. There are people that listen to more than one genre.

Advertisements

------------------
Closed Thread