Sigur Rós is Ambient? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Your Music

IDMf Netlabel

The Studio

Community Center

Music By Genre

Groups

Old 07-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #21
Infiltrator
Regular Freak
Infiltrator is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10
Re: Sigur Rós is Ambient?

You could even call them Prog Rock.... as they are very unique and their music is definitely breaking barriers and stereotype rules of music.
I personally would not call Sigur Ros ambient though....

Advertisements

Infiltrator is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #22
Xarnda
Learning The Ropes
Xarnda is on a distinguished road

Their first album "von" is nothing but a dark soundscape
Xarnda is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #23
robotrobot
Minor Glitch
robotrobot has a reputation beyond reputerobotrobot has a reputation beyond reputerobotrobot has a reputation beyond reputerobotrobot has a reputation beyond reputerobotrobot has a reputation beyond reputerobotrobot has a reputation beyond reputerobotrobot has a reputation beyond reputerobotrobot has a reputation beyond reputerobotrobot has a reputation beyond reputerobotrobot has a reputation beyond reputerobotrobot has a reputation beyond repute
South Jersey
MC Status: 2595

well as the adorable old black lady on the front porch rocking chair would say 'Baby, you can call Sigur Ros whatever you want.'
robotrobot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: bedroom tower fan
Old 09-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #24
GKM
Granular Poster
GKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of light
Tropical Cairns
MC Status: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamacar View Post
Well they have some songs that are post-genre ambinoise,
and some songs that are pre-ambicore moon-gaze.
I once heard an early track that had elements of post-anti-jazz-power-scandi-slowcore.
So yeah... Labels aren't so important.
Are these real categories, or did you just make it up?

I'm so unsure of categories these days? When I upload a new album onto CDBaby, listing the category is more difficult them writing and producing the album!!! My music it not hardcore "ambient" but it's more ambient then anything else.

I've not heard any Sigur Ross stuff but from the quick search I did it seems they are quite famous. That's gota be good for a relatively obscure style like ambient. I'm happy to call em ambient if it brings new listeners to the style.
GKM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #25
electrodevo
Minor Glitch
electrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MC
MC Status: 28001

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKM View Post
I've not heard any Sigur Ross stuff but from the quick search I did it seems they are quite famous. That's gota be good for a relatively obscure style like ambient. I'm happy to call em ambient if it brings new listeners to the style.
Sigur Ros is normally categorized as "post rock".

As with all genres, the difference is fuzzy, but to me there is significant difference. Post rock is usually pop / rock first with some *influence* of non-rock genres in the textures used. Sigur Ros, like many other "post rock" bands, definitely are ambient influenced, however, they still utilize rock / pop hooks and structures quite frequently.

While music classified as "ambient" can be melodic as well, ambient music tends to be a lot more abstract at its core, with quite a bit of the genre as simply pure texture music with no melodic element or structure at all in many cases. The more an ambient piece moves away from structure, melody or rhythm, the more "niche" it becomes. ("Ambient music" can sometimes be popular to be honest if it has a touch of any of the above.)

"Post rock" also isn't necessarily ambient, you have bands like Godspeed You Black Emperor! in that category who aren't terribly ambient influenced at all.

------------------
electrodevo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to electrodevo
GKM (09-14-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #26
GKM
Granular Poster
GKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of light
Tropical Cairns
MC Status: 460

I can relate with what you are saying. I totally identify with your language, terminology and communication style. Thanks!
GKM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:14 AM   #27
synthsandjunk
Regular Freak
synthsandjunk is on a distinguished road

I've always thought of most post rock as "ambient Rock" because that's what I called it when I was 16 (30 now.)
synthsandjunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #28
Vinc2
Learning The Ropes
Vinc2 will become famous soon enough
Annecy
MC Status: 60

For me, Valtari is a pure ambient record.
Same thing for Von, Ba ba Ti ki Di do, and Saeglopur EP.

Advertisements

Vinc2 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote