Deeper bass in mix
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #1
backtotape
IDMf's latest spammer
backtotape has a spectacular aura aboutbacktotape has a spectacular aura about
Warsaw
MC Status: 160
Deeper bass in mix

Small question, any plugins/techniques to get real deep/wide bass without mud sound?

Thanks!

Advertisements

backtotape is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:09 PM   #2
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5742943
Re: Deeper bass in mix

It really depends on what you're wanting. So like a sub bass you can lowpass the crap out of it and add something like distortion to it post process to get some neat interactions. Knowing I want to do this I tend to test out the lowpass with the distortion added already. Then trying styff like delay or chorus and/or layering in different bands, etc. Unless you're looking for a specific sound or whatever.

The trial and error can be fun. But you're going to want the low end to stay centered and preferable to u, try to keep any delaying on it minimal. Worst thing in the world for me is the bottom end bouncing in the L and R channels one after the other, just because I wanted to get a wider sound out of the upper portion.

Also, mud can come from the mid portion. So try playing around with notching or bell eqing that area.

As far as plugins,. I don't have a lot at the moment. My daw has everything needed to do much of what I need. But there are surely plugins that will do a specific task. Someone may have that information. You could also try googling "stereo widening vst". May be some fun stuff try in your endeavors.

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:35 PM   #3
backtotape
IDMf's latest spammer
Warsaw

I need something like 80s bass wide bass. I have Volca Bass but I think some good chorus will solve my problem
Old 06-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #4
poniel
IDMf's latest spammer
poniel will become famous soon enoughponiel will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Do you have Korgs Polysix? I got some real nice 80s bass on this and
stereo widening built into the synth. Highly recommend for authentic 80s tone.
poniel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to poniel
backtotape (14-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 06:14 PM   #5
poniel
IDMf's latest spammer
poniel will become famous soon enoughponiel will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Got to careful adding effects to create wideness. Like chorus or something
You will lose your low frequencies if your not careful. Should be used in extreme moderation with bass
As to not lose its power. Can be used but subtly for tone
poniel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to poniel
backtotape (14-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 06:16 PM   #6
Daggit
Sample Destroyer
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
Because science
MC Status: 4160

If you don't mind mono bass, overdub a sinewave. It's kind of hard to do unless you record the MIDI an octave higher to hear it better. Then quantize it and shift it down and octave or two and freeze it. It can fill in the bass nicely. I haven't done it in a while, but it's a common technique.

------------------
Hear my tunes at https://hearthis.at/daggit-gr/
Using: M-Audio KeyStation 49es, Alesis M1Active 320 USB, HP EliteBook, Xubuntu Linux w/WINE, Reaper, FL Studio, lots of freeware VST instruments and effects.
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Daggit
backtotape (14-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 08:13 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8529230
Thanked 6,766 Times in 4,822 Posts

For "deep" and "wide" you'll either want two parallel channels or two seperate bass patches. Two channels options: a mono channel for everything under ~150-200hz . Then add stereo widening techniques to the other channel subtracting all the lowend content. Seperate patches for a "top" and "bottom" bass just gives you more control. In that case I usually use a LPF square wave (mono the patch inside the VST synth if possible) for the "bottom" and then saws for the top (HPF).

Last edited by relic; 06-09-2017 at 08:21 PM..

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #8
backtotape
IDMf's latest spammer
Warsaw

Thanks for all nice tips! I create bass line with small panning form left to right with tempo sync... Now I can't paste link but it sound not bad...
Thanks to backtotape
Daggit (14-09-2017)
Old 14-09-2017, 05:57 PM   #9
Daggit
Sample Destroyer
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
Because science
MC Status: 4160

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotape View Post
Thanks for all nice tips! I create bass line with small panning form left to right with tempo sync... Now I can't paste link but it sound not bad...
That's a pretty cool idea.
I like the idea of mono-compatibility bass while still having some stereo info, but not being too wide or wierd. I will have to try that too.

Advertisements

------------------
Hear my tunes at https://hearthis.at/daggit-gr/
Using: M-Audio KeyStation 49es, Alesis M1Active 320 USB, HP EliteBook, Xubuntu Linux w/WINE, Reaper, FL Studio, lots of freeware VST instruments and effects.
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote