I'm started making music and immediately stuck in 8 bars loop
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 17-08-2017, 08:44 PM   #1
st3aLth
Soundscaper
st3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3410

Advertisements

------------------
st3aLth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 09:45 PM   #2
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269462008
Thanked 2,768 Times in 1,840 Posts
Re: I'm started making music and immediately stuck in 8 bars loop

I feel your pain.

On the other hand, 8 bars are a good starting point, make sure all the elements in those 8 bars fit perfectly and work great together, then in your daw, copy/paste those 8 bars for about 3/4 minutes, now plan the build up and drop in energy and delete elements so that the tracks builds and drops in intensity.
The start adding small variations every 4th bars, and more noticeable variations every 8, keep going until you have a track...

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
st3aLth (18-08-2017)
Old 18-08-2017, 04:26 AM   #3
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39260

^ I agree with this.

Just start with the climax and backtrack if you're really digging what you have so far. That's usually what my creativity allows for in the beginning, too. Work on builds and drops around your climax and soon you'll have something dynamic.

------------------
Totally not clickbait this time, I swear
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 05:06 AM   #4
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13020926

good

some people dont even reach that point
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 05:06 AM   #5
DRR
Minor Glitch
DRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to beholdDRR is a splendid one to behold
Derbyshire
MC Status: 660

After the 8 bars, my next stage is 'top-down' - I put in an arranger track at the top and label where I'm going to have the intro, theme, breakdown, drop, etc. I also add a time track so that I can see how long each section will take at my chosen bpm.
Then I drop my 8 bar section into whatever section I'm going to work on next, and modify accordingly. I find that new counter melodies etc then suggest themselves.
DRR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to DRR
st3aLth (20-08-2017)
Old 20-08-2017, 07:34 AM   #6
st3aLth
Soundscaper
st3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
I feel your pain.

On the other hand, 8 bars are a good starting point, make sure all the elements in those 8 bars fit perfectly and work great together, then in your daw, copy/paste those 8 bars for about 3/4 minutes, now plan the build up and drop in energy and delete elements so that the tracks builds and drops in intensity.
The start adding small variations every 4th bars, and more noticeable variations every 8, keep going until you have a track...
I found this method not so handy for me. At least at this current song.
What I also found is that songs have composition .
  • intro
  • verse
  • chorus
  • outro
  • riser
  • build up
  • drop
Link to check : http://subaqueousmusic.com/dubstep-a...ong-structure/
And a best way to tinker that thang by doodling with loops (sample packs in different genres i think) i think . nice place here for that work : https://www.looplabs.com/ :justlookatit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
^ I agree with this.

Just start with the climax and backtrack if you're really digging what you have so far. That's usually what my creativity allows for in the beginning, too. Work on builds and drops around your climax and soon you'll have something dynamic.
exactly what i talking bout builds and drops.
One more link Production Basics 2: EDM Track Structure https://youtu.be/lzwpbn1pS08?list=PL...33OT7Wj4EAltGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeoR View Post
good

some people dont even reach that point
You make me laugh

Last edited by st3aLth; 20-08-2017 at 07:43 AM..

------------------
Old 20-08-2017, 08:50 AM   #7
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,447 Times in 1,902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3aLth View Post
holy shit, how did you make it to 8? i'm still in 5
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to fidelium
Parricide (23-08-2017)
Old 20-08-2017, 12:38 PM   #8
Lorenzo
Regular Freak
Lorenzo will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I have a method that works in some contexts: I think that starting with the idea of composing a full track doesn't take you so much far, because you force your creativity in a limited way. You should work on different ideas, even in different projects, and then blend them together. Sure, they should be similar and on the same scale, but it's useful also because if you have a rythm or melody you made you can work on it if you like, else you can insert it in a track where it could fit well.
Lorenzo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lorenzo
Vault O))) (20-08-2017)
Old 22-08-2017, 03:50 AM   #9
st3aLth
Soundscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelium View Post
holy shit, how did you make it to 8? i'm still in 5

It turned out that I cut a cappella and it turned out exactly 8 bars.

Also, I learned that chrous in traditional music genres in edm called drop

------------------
Old 23-08-2017, 07:23 PM   #10
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024319

when im stuck i usually throw some parts around semi-randomly and experiment with changing up the arrangement.

i cant even imagine how many times i have dumped my experiments though, probably >95% of the time

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 01:04 AM   #11
Bluesh1ft
Knob Twiddler
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
In another world, usually
MC Status: 2160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
I have a method that works in some contexts: I think that starting with the idea of composing a full track doesn't take you so much far, because you force your creativity in a limited way. You should work on different ideas, even in different projects, and then blend them together. Sure, they should be similar and on the same scale, but it's useful also because if you have a rythm or melody you made you can work on it if you like, else you can insert it in a track where it could fit well.
There is a kinda of misconception about good producers/composers that they, without blinking, can finish a song from start to finish and its basically all formed in their mind. While I am sure that was the case in some instances people dont realize that even composers such as Mozart wrote down sections, modes, scale variations, etc. and them utilized them for different songs. So finding little bread and butter methods without a full thematic concept is quite normal. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.
Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Bluesh1ft
DRR (24-08-2017)
Old 24-08-2017, 08:12 AM   #12
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,447 Times in 1,902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3aLth View Post
It turned out that I cut a cappella and it turned out exactly 8 bars.

Also, I learned that chrous in traditional music genres in edm called drop
does the d in EDM stand for "drop"?

every drop matters

EDM

fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to fidelium
st3aLth (27-08-2017)
Old 24-08-2017, 05:41 PM   #13
Harko City
Minor Glitch
Harko City is just really niceHarko City is just really niceHarko City is just really niceHarko City is just really nice
Indiana
MC Status: 360

if you're making trap beats you're already over qualified.
Harko City is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Harko City
Vault O))) (24-08-2017)
Old 27-08-2017, 03:35 AM   #14
st3aLth
Soundscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelium View Post
does the d in EDM stand for "drop"?

every drop matters

EDM

Man... I don't know what the FUCK you just said, Little Kid, but you're special man, you reached out, and you touch a brother's heart.
Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

------------------
Old 28-08-2017, 12:33 AM   #15
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39260

Once you do 9 bars... it's like sucking your own dick, that's all I'm going to say.

------------------
Totally not clickbait this time, I swear
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 06:15 PM   #16
localspace
Minor Glitch
localspace is a jewel in the roughlocalspace is a jewel in the roughlocalspace is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Maybe you should let go of the entire idea of composing and just focus on the fun of messing with sounds? 8 bar loop?? Cool.. make 8 more of them. See what happens if you splice them together.. and just take it from there. That's always how I did and I rarely get stuck on a track. They may not all be great tracks.. some may be similar to other.. I'm perfectly happy using the same sounds or techniques over and over again, that's how you hone your skills though..

Obsessing over how to get your 8 bar loop to become the next dubstep banger... meh, maybe not so productive?
localspace is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 05:21 AM   #17
emblade
Regular Freak
emblade has a spectacular aura aboutemblade has a spectacular aura about
Minnesota
MC Status: 160

duplicate 8 bars change shit around to a different sclae and then drop acid and smoke some herb and replay it over and over till it sounds good

Advertisements

emblade is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote