What is the ecosystem for Virtual Synthesizers?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:53 PM   #1
akromyk
IDMf's latest spammer
akromyk is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
What is the ecosystem for Virtual Synthesizers?

Sorry, total newb here. I'm into bands like Nine Inch Nails and Sonoio and was hoping to recreate what they do with synthesizers in a virtual environment. I'd love to be able to get close to what Alessandro Cortini does, but with using a computer instead of actual physical synthesizer. I was hoping someone could give me a compass as to where to go to get started with creating such sounds on my PC. I should mention I'm willing to spend a few bucks to work/learn with better software versus using something cheap that can quickly limit me.

Advertisements

akromyk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:54 PM   #2
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 104500
Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,353 Posts
Re: What is the ecosystem for Virtual Synthesizers?

This is old, but it should at least get you thinking more about what you need. Once you have a general idea, then you can get more specific to what YOU need.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:52 PM   #3
Daggit
Knob Twiddler
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
Because science
MC Status: 4110

vember short circuit, and dsp highlife for sampling. freebies download.

------------------
Hear my tunes at https://hearthis.at/daggit-gr/
Using: M-Audio KeyStation 49es, Alesis M1Active 320 USB, HP EliteBook, Xubuntu Linux w/WINE, Reaper, FL Studio, lots of freeware VST instruments and effects.
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 05:26 PM   #4
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17260

Cortini uses his modular system a lot. So if you want to try to replicate some of his stuff in software, then NI Reaktor 6 is your best bet, probably. The user library has a lot of stuff that would enable you to approximate his eurorack set up. As well as ensembles that resemble more traditional subtractive synths that he uses as well. Either way, it's very deep and flexible piece of software that can keep you occupied for years.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 07:30 AM   #5
FTD
Master of the LFO
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC
MC Status: 3463355

Alessandro Cortini is big into Buchla so you're looking at Reaktor on a computer. Which I wouldn't recommend to any beginner unless you specifically were looking to get into modular. If you just want to make and play with synthesized noises that are bit different from the presets of the big soft synths have a look at the following freebies.

Da Hornet is great for little glitches, beeps and abrasive noises - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

TAL U-No-62 is quite outstanding considering it's free. Copy of the of the Juno 60 and loads of warm bass and rasping tones - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

TAL-Elek7ro, again another great little soft synth good for bleeps, glitches, FX - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

On the FX side of things

Ambience is a very feature rich reverb - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Tal Chorus - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Camel Crusher - a very effective BitCrusher, use sparingly or not depending [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

There's a lot more but just these selections alone are more than enough to get you started and experimenting. Add in a delay and obviously an EQ/compressor and you would have enough do a full track.

What DAW are you using or plan to use?
FTD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FTD
Vault O))) (16-08-2017)
Old 16-08-2017, 09:08 AM   #6
localspace
Minor Glitch
localspace is a jewel in the roughlocalspace is a jewel in the roughlocalspace is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDoG View Post
Cortini uses his modular system a lot. So if you want to try to replicate some of his stuff in software, then NI Reaktor 6 is your best bet, probably. The user library has a lot of stuff that would enable you to approximate his eurorack set up. As well as ensembles that resemble more traditional subtractive synths that he uses as well. Either way, it's very deep and flexible piece of software that can keep you occupied for years.
Second this. I got it when I bought Komplete, but got sucked into Reaktor big time. Blocks (the modular system) is great. If you can't find it in the library it comes with, some in the user library has probably already made it. Definitely check out the EuroReakt set of Blocks if you get it. If you do eventually want a real modular system, it's still a good option since you can 'patch' it into your hardware and fill in gaps in your own system.

There's a similar thing from Softube, which has involvement from Doepfer and such. But you have to buy any extra modules you want to make. The user library is Reaktor's real power.. there is some really high quality stuff in there.

I've only had it for a couple of months so I've barely scratched the surface. I'm just playing with ensembles I found and it's great. I don't think it's that difficult to get into. Programming your own instruments seems to be a node based system that doesn't look that crazy to wrap your head around.

It's worth it to wait out a sale, or bundling up if you like the other stuff in NI Komplete. I got Komplete during a sale for about what you pay for just Reaktor right now. Komplete is total overkill, half of it you'll never need.. but since they're throwing it in anyway, I'll take it. If I now ever want to get into pristinely reproduced virtual piano playing... I could.

Advertisements

localspace is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote