Getting Underruns/Clicks Recording Synth to PC
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 27-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #1
ambtconnoisseur
Minor Glitch
ambtconnoisseur is a jewel in the roughambtconnoisseur is a jewel in the roughambtconnoisseur is a jewel in the roughambtconnoisseur is a jewel in the rough
Maryland
MC Status: 310
Getting Underruns/Clicks Recording Synth to PC

Hey all,

I have a newbie question here, as I am new to working with hardware and only have an elementary knowledge of the home studio recording process. My question is, what do you do if you are getting underruns/clicks in your synth recordings to a PC? Here's my setup: 2 year old craptop (was originally about $650, 8 GBs of memory, okay Intel CPU), okay mixer (Behringer Xenyx X1222 w/audio interface), Novastation MiniNova synth connected via USB, and 2 brand new balanced TRS cables (from synth to mixer). My recording process is very simplified in order to use less resources on my laptop: I close out all unnecessary processes/programs, open Audacity (though I do have Ableton Live 9), and start recording my synth. It's usually only about 2-3 underruns/clicks that I can notice for every 5 minutes of recording, but I have to zoom way in on the wave in Audacity to spot them and smooth them out, which is very annoying. What can I do to avoid this besides investing in a MacBook Pro (sort of joking)? I have only about $400-500 if I need to invest in additional hardware.

Thanks,
ambtconnoisseur

Advertisements

ambtconnoisseur is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 08:28 PM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389648
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,760 Posts
Re: Getting Underruns/Clicks Recording Synth to PC

Can you increase buffer-size on your Behringer Xenyx?

Might be better if you get a dedicated audio interface. I can't stand Crapringer.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #3
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 29310

I'm with Evelon - invest in a real audio interface.

Also an SSD for tracking. Laptop platter drives tend to be on the slower side (~5400rpm) to save on power, which can occasionally lead to underruns.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #4
Dr. Sleaze
Analog Lurker
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2210

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambtconnoisseur View Post
Hey all,

I have a newbie question here, as I am new to working with hardware and only have an elementary knowledge of the home studio recording process. My question is, what do you do if you are getting underruns/clicks in your synth recordings to a PC? Here's my setup: 2 year old craptop (was originally about $650, 8 GBs of memory, okay Intel CPU), okay mixer (Behringer Xenyx X1222 w/audio interface), Novastation MiniNova synth connected via USB, and 2 brand new balanced TRS cables (from synth to mixer). My recording process is very simplified in order to use less resources on my laptop: I close out all unnecessary processes/programs, open Audacity (though I do have Ableton Live 9), and start recording my synth. It's usually only about 2-3 underruns/clicks that I can notice for every 5 minutes of recording, but I have to zoom way in on the wave in Audacity to spot them and smooth them out, which is very annoying. What can I do to avoid this besides investing in a MacBook Pro (sort of joking)? I have only about $400-500 if I need to invest in additional hardware.

Thanks,
ambtconnoisseur
Is it the Behringer Xenyx X1222 usb. If so download the BEHRINGER USB AUDIO Driver Win 2.8.40 if you don't have it installed. This works best with these mixers.Follow the read me instructions Then go into sound settings on your PC. Set Playback to speakers USB AUDIO CODEC. Then Recording : Line to USB AUDIO CODEC and apply changes. Your mixer is now your main sound device, so you'll need to turn it on when listening to anything on your lappie. Open Audacity go: edit: preferences: Devices. In Devices set: Interface: Host MME. Playback: Device: Speakers (USB AUDIO CODEC). Recording: Device: Line (USB AUDIO CODEC)
Channels 2 (stereo). Apply changes.Then in preferences: Recording set the audio buffer. The settings I had were: Audio to Buffer 100 milliseconds. and Latency Corrections - 130.
This worked fine for me with 2 sequencers and a synth, on a crappy Dell Lattitude E4300 with 4 gig of ram and a 2.2 dual core.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Sleaze is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #5
ambtconnoisseur
Minor Glitch
ambtconnoisseur is a jewel in the roughambtconnoisseur is a jewel in the roughambtconnoisseur is a jewel in the roughambtconnoisseur is a jewel in the rough
Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Can you increase buffer-size on your Behringer Xenyx?

Might be better if you get a dedicated audio interface. I can't stand Crapringer.
Yeah, I figured there was a reason such a nice looking mixer with many features was only $199. It did have good reviews and it fit my needs, so I went with it over getting a mixer and a USB audio interface separately. I'll keep it mind next time I look to buy something from them. It's too bad, because I've had my eye on Behringer's DeepMind 12 synth that looks and sounds good and seems a good value at $1,000. I'll have to do my research on that one before I spend that kind of dough. Anyway, thanks for the tip on getting a separate interface.
Old 28-06-2017, 02:05 PM   #6
ambtconnoisseur
Minor Glitch
Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
I'm with Evelon - invest in a real audio interface.

Also an SSD for tracking. Laptop platter drives tend to be on the slower side (~5400rpm) to save on power, which can occasionally lead to underruns.
Good call on the on the solid state HDD. I'll have to look into this.
Old 28-06-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
ambtconnoisseur
Minor Glitch
Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sleaze View Post
Is it the Behringer Xenyx X1222 usb. If so download the BEHRINGER USB AUDIO Driver Win 2.8.40 if you don't have it installed. This works best with these mixers.Follow the read me instructions Then go into sound settings on your PC. Set Playback to speakers USB AUDIO CODEC. Then Recording : Line to USB AUDIO CODEC and apply changes. Your mixer is now your main sound device, so you'll need to turn it on when listening to anything on your lappie. Open Audacity go: edit: preferences: Devices. In Devices set: Interface: Host MME. Playback: Device: Speakers (USB AUDIO CODEC). Recording: Device: Line (USB AUDIO CODEC)
Channels 2 (stereo). Apply changes.Then in preferences: Recording set the audio buffer. The settings I had were: Audio to Buffer 100 milliseconds. and Latency Corrections - 130.
This worked fine for me with 2 sequencers and a synth, on a crappy Dell Lattitude E4300 with 4 gig of ram and a 2.2 dual core.
Hope this helps.
Interesting and super helpful for me to try immediately. I had read that the mixer was pretty much plug and play, so I didn't download an audio driver. I'll have to try this. I also haven't tried the audio buffer and latency settings in Audacity. I bet that should help too. Thanks!
Old 28-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #8
Dr. Sleaze
Analog Lurker
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Interesting and super helpful for me to try immediately. I had read that the mixer was pretty much plug and play, so I didn't download an audio driver. I'll have to try this. I also haven't tried the audio buffer and latency settings in Audacity. I bet that should help too. Thanks!
The Behringer mixers really aren't that bad for the money. They do the job. I started off with the little Q502 usb recording into Audacity, which is why I had all the info at hand, but as I got more gear I needed something a bit bigger. I still use the little Q502 for my mic and Volca sample, and the second output on the MS 20 mini, which is sent through an FX processor and into the bigger mixer, which has a different processor on the send, but I no longer record into the computer, as I now record straight into a digital recorder.
Thanks to Dr. Sleaze
ambtconnoisseur (06-07-2017)
Old 28-06-2017, 07:52 PM   #9
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941831
Thanked 5,673 Times in 3,575 Posts

Quote:
Also, Audacity...if i may suggest an alternative- Reaper DAW. Download it and try it. Or FL Studio might work for you if you like programming more. But Reaper, it's a great DAW and I'd definitely get that over Audacity. You can download it and try it forever, meaning just a nag screen on startup unless you buy it (60 bucks)

------------------
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
ambtconnoisseur (06-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 12:25 AM   #10
ambtconnoisseur
Minor Glitch
Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sleaze View Post
The Behringer mixers really aren't that bad for the money. They do the job. I started off with the little Q502 usb recording into Audacity, which is why I had all the info at hand, but as I got more gear I needed something a bit bigger. I still use the little Q502 for my mic and Volca sample, and the second output on the MS 20 mini, which is sent through an FX processor and into the bigger mixer, which has a different processor on the send, but I no longer record into the computer, as I now record straight into a digital recorder.
That's interesting, I just got an MS-20 Mini last week and I'm loving it! I'll have to look into digital recorders. Never really considered it.
Thanks to ambtconnoisseur
Dr. Sleaze (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 12:27 AM   #11
ambtconnoisseur
Minor Glitch
Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
Also, Audacity...if i may suggest an alternative- Reaper DAW. Download it and try it. Or FL Studio might work for you if you like programming more. But Reaper, it's a great DAW and I'd definitely get that over Audacity. You can download it and try it forever, meaning just a nag screen on startup unless you buy it (60 bucks)
Awesome, I'll definitely check out Reaper. I've heard of it before, but haven't tried it out. Thanks.
Numerical (08-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #12
Dr. Sleaze
Analog Lurker

Quote:
That's interesting, I just got an MS-20 Mini last week and I'm loving it! I'll have to look into digital recorders. Never really considered it.
The MS is great fun. I've just picked up a Zoom MS 70 CDR fx pedal for mine, as it was reduced by about 1/3 the price in a local shop here, which made it less than sweatwater. No import duty or postage either. Awesome little pedal for the price.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:49 PM   #13
Lotus_Jewel
Radial Developer
Lotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond repute
Earth
MC Status: 2760

I prefer free audio editor over audacity, personally, and would only find myself to use audacity for simply converting wav to mp3...

Also. I did see this mentioned here, get a better quality mixer and ad/da converter, or audio interface... that bheringer is part of the problem likely, Ive had to use their stuff, its okay for now, but always want to upgrade... imho at least.

what sample rate are you recording at though? I get issues when I used to use high sample rates... etc.

I use 48,000 @ 24 bit... when ever I use more, without a REAL interface, I get artifacts such the OP is describing.

I know this may be a pain in the ass saving for, but getting a standalone converter and an ssd recorder, will greatly improve your recordings. Dont forget to play with your sample rates...

other than that I dont know what to say, we all lack bits of experience, I never had issues other than from these points here with artifacts.

except when I over use my limiter.... of course!

by the way OP, your avatar is pretty rad... makes me want to break out my paint and a new canvas. cheers
Lotus_Jewel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lotus_Jewel
ambtconnoisseur (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 02:25 PM   #14
ambtconnoisseur
Minor Glitch
Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus_Jewel View Post
I prefer free audio editor over audacity, personally, and would only find myself to use audacity for simply converting wav to mp3...

Also. I did see this mentioned here, get a better quality mixer and ad/da converter, or audio interface... that bheringer is part of the problem likely, Ive had to use their stuff, its okay for now, but always want to upgrade... imho at least.

what sample rate are you recording at though? I get issues when I used to use high sample rates... etc.

I use 48,000 @ 24 bit... when ever I use more, without a REAL interface, I get artifacts such the OP is describing.

I know this may be a pain in the ass saving for, but getting a standalone converter and an ssd recorder, will greatly improve your recordings. Dont forget to play with your sample rates...

other than that I dont know what to say, we all lack bits of experience, I never had issues other than from these points here with artifacts.

except when I over use my limiter.... of course!

by the way OP, your avatar is pretty rad... makes me want to break out my paint and a new canvas. cheers
I've never heard of Free Audio Editor for whatever reason, but I will check it out. I prefer using a precise audio editor to layer samples and recordings, which is much better than clunky/crowded DAW. I like the simplicity and working with the waveforms directly.

And yeah, I'm finding out Behringer's reputation isn't of the highest quality because they seem to offer "value" by cutting corners in their designs (one reason I haven't bought the DeepMind 12 psuedo-analog poly synth yet).

One thing that's seemed to help with the underruns is changing the recording buffering speed from 100 (default) to 500 (I just randomly chose a much higher number out of frustration). I also set my sample rate to 48,000 @ 24 bit. I think the issue is resolved now, but I'll find out more definitively as I record more synths and so forth.

You're the second to mention getting a digital recorder. What's the benefit and can you still edit your recording precisely in an audio editor on the computer afterwards?

Also, my avatar is an image of a Gerhard Richter painting (one of my favorite visual artists). I'm very into contemporary art and art history, despite half of it being garbage (just like the music or film industry!).
Lotus_Jewel (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #15
Lotus_Jewel
Radial Developer
Lotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond repute
Earth

Quote:

I've never heard of Free Audio Editor for whatever reason, but I will check it out. I prefer using a precise audio editor to layer samples and recordings, which is much better than clunky/crowded DAW. I like the simplicity and working with the waveforms directly.

And yeah, I'm finding out Behringer's reputation isn't of the highest quality because they seem to offer "value" by cutting corners in their designs (one reason I haven't bought the DeepMind 12 psuedo-analog poly synth yet).

One thing that's seemed to help with the underruns is changing the recording buffering speed from 100 (default) to 500 (I just randomly chose a much higher number out of frustration). I also set my sample rate to 48,000 @ 24 bit. I think the issue is resolved now, but I'll find out more definitively as I record more synths and so forth.

You're the second to mention getting a digital recorder. What's the benefit and can you still edit your recording precisely in an audio editor on the computer afterwards?

Also, my avatar is an image of a Gerhard Richter painting (one of my favorite visual artists). I'm very into contemporary art and art history, despite half of it being garbage (just like the music or film industry!).

here is where you should be DLing it from... [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
its the official website. when you install if you choose to, be careful selecting what packages to install, it will attach some freeware... warning here. so be careful, and use a virus scanner. I never had a problem here other than not pay attention one time and it installed some browser tool... meh.

I only use it cause i think, it looks nice. the gui that is. it works with wave form visually so you should see what you need to edit. though, i cannot say if it will work as you are seeking... Ive not used an editor to layer, etc... and i dont have much experience digging deep in free audio editor, so I really cant say how much it can or cant do, sorry bud.

beringer is okay, i used to use the djm800 look alike dj mixer, had a line mixer, a power amp, i even had a pair of their dj monitors. and all works well if treated well. I did notice though, and this is my opinion here, the yellow was always trouble... stay in the green... once used heavily for a while, it sounds like shit... and thats heat being added to the components and that creates more noise. it will serve you well and when you get a piece of gear, your skills will greatly improve rapidly... and your ears will thank you to.

the ssd recorder is a fast recording method and saves cpu resources for the processing or daw, or effects, etc... I have not ever purchased one, but I do use one in the studio when i go there to finalize a project and test an ear on it before its sent to a master.

I have little experience and knowledge on these, so im sure there are better folks out there with more information for you.
I think though, the latency is lower, and the depth is greater... than recording with a home pc... like me at home studio. I want one... and a converter. I still need an interface as well. a real one. 1k$ and up area... real.
Thanks to Lotus_Jewel
ambtconnoisseur (10-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #16
Dr. Sleaze
Analog Lurker

Quote:

The thing with Behringer, like you said is they offer things at a more affordable price. Sometimes their stuff is not so good or really bad, but not everything, and a lot of people have very good things to say about their gear, but as with everything you need to do a lot of online research before you part with your greens. As far as the Deepmind 12 goes, it's quite a lot of synth for the money. and some people have had issues, but as this is the first synth they've ever produced, it's not a huge surprise, so just keep an I on the forums and don't rush in until you see that the issues have been addressed.

Now as for the digital recorder. I'm talking about a hand held slyle like this:
which you can conect your mixer to directly and record straight to sd card 4800 @ 24bit with no latency problems, and then transfer to your DAW of choice to cut up proccess and mix. You also have a portable recorder if you want to do some field recordings to make your own samples.
I have one of these:
This allows me to either record the whole thing live, or record seperate tracks and then mix them. play them out into my FX proccessors, back through the mixer and re-record them, all without a computer. It's a bit old skool, but that's how I like to work.
Thanks to Dr. Sleaze
Lotus_Jewel (20-07-2017)
Old 20-07-2017, 07:02 PM   #17
Lotus_Jewel
Radial Developer
Earth

That R8 is really nice looking... Im gonna check that thing out. cheers
Old 21-07-2017, 12:43 PM   #18
Dr. Sleaze
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus_Jewel View Post
That R8 is really nice looking... Im gonna check that thing out. cheers
If you need to know anything specific, let me know.

Advertisements

Thanks to Dr. Sleaze
Lotus_Jewel (24-07-2017)