Never follow your hero?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #1
DoomBrain
Analog Lurker
DoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710
Never follow your hero?

You should never meet your hero's as they say or in this day and age follow them.

As this week I have found that one of my favourite drum and bass artists has disappointed me, not through a direct insult to myself but a political post on their page which I did not agree with.

Initially the instinct is to comment and vent an angry view for this post, but wait as this may lead to a dispute and even anger and resentment towards the artist. The decision was to unfollow the page and avoid any interaction at all, as the thought of not enjoying the music as much because of a simple difference in opinion would be pointless.

This leads me to think that should artists separate their personal views from their electronic music?

Should electronic music even have any political stance? As I see most dance music as completely neutral although their are some exceptions.

Unlike some genres such as Metal, Punk and rap which may have political and moral agenda's which I get, that's fine and you can expect to see and hear what that is intended for.

It is great to follow certain celebs on today's platforms, but if you get too close you maybe disapointed to what you see.

Over 10 years ago there would be hardly any connection or insight into your favourite DJ or music producer, which in some ways was a good thing. You would hear the new music purchase on a record, CD or even download, who is this? It's a name... I like him. That was it but the music will stay with you without any background story, no opinions just sound.

Advertisements

DoomBrain is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:25 PM   #2
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 106650
Thanked 2,107 Times in 1,375 Posts
Re: Never follow your hero?

Should the artist have to separate themselves from politics, opinions, and values, or is that on the listener to decide if they can still enjoy music if they disagree with someone?

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
Numerical (09-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 10:29 PM   #3
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51810
Thanked 1,036 Times in 764 Posts

Some of the most beautiful music was written by conflicted souls. Some straight up assholes wrote some truly exceptional music. But, admittedly, there are moments where it boils up and leaves a foul taste. If it stops being enjoyable, listen to something else. Otherwise, compartmentalize.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:24 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8537430
Thanked 6,930 Times in 4,932 Posts

Most of my favorite authors/poets were assholes in someway or another. Simple, unconflicted people are boring to a wide audience. Also, I think often music is a social/political release for the musician even if the music isn't overtly political. But I think in a world driven mad by capitalism at least dance music has to take a a look at itself and decide what it wants to be. It can either be Ultra Music Festival or it can be a party put on with what some kids could scrape together and setup in a basement. Of course there is a potential happy medium, but of it is of course about what is realistic as well.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:50 PM   #5
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38897

We're all just people dude, we have life to live and opinions to share.

I enjoy a lot of nazi metal/punk eventho I hate any sort of judgement and violence, I don't think you should limit your musical taste.

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mctoast
nervewar (30-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 12:12 AM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

art does not equal artist

/end

------------------
Old 08-06-2017, 12:26 AM   #7
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 32710

I think it's completely ridiculous that an artist would think anyone would give a shit about their opinion regarding anything besides art (unless they're also actually an expert on some other field). I also think it's ridiculous that people care about what artists have to say about anything, art included.

Like when Paul Newman (who I liked and respected as an actor) says 'go save the whales', it totally doesn't make me want to go save whales any more than I already did or didn't. Like, he's an actor, not a whalologist.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
Numerical (09-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 03:25 AM   #8
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39110

Should they? It depends on whether or not they want to alienate butthurt fans, I guess.

I tried to boycott NSBM, neo-nazi noise and Christian rock one time and I just couldn't do it. Even that horrible asshole Ian Watkins made some decent music that I connected with when I was 12. I can't hate people and enjoy music at the same time, so I'd rather just enjoy the music

------------------
Totally not clickbait this time, I swear
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:32 AM   #9
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 8910

Yeah it can go sideways for sure. I've been fortunate to meet a few of my heroes and even play with a couple. Thankfully they were all amazingly gracious and humble. Also took time to do a real great job pretending they gave a shit. I feel lucky because I'd drop their sorry asses if they upset me.

Oh I guess one did. kinda. Derek Trucks kept hitting on my girlfriend although friendly enough. He's definitely a hero. So that was a little upsetting.
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:50 AM   #10
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51810
Thanked 1,036 Times in 764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Most of my favorite authors/poets were assholes in someway or another. Simple, unconflicted people are boring to a wide audience. Also, I think often music is a social/political release for the musician even if the music isn't overtly political. But I think in a world driven mad by capitalism at least dance music has to take a a look at itself and decide what it wants to be. It can either be Ultra Music Festival or it can be a party put on with what some kids could scrape together and setup in a basement. Of course there is a potential happy medium, but of it is of course about what is realistic as well.
Best parties I ever went to were in abandoned structures. Back when Techno was occasionally spelled Tekkno and subject to ridicule by the sort of folks now all into brostep and EDM. Good times.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #11
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,447 Times in 1,902 Posts

oh my god this post is moist with irony

this is great.

i love the part about how ten years ago apparently none of us had insight into the opinions of our favorite music artists. quite possibly the most incorrect statement made this last century. you must be from a different planet than me and most people. "no opinions just music" fuck off, goddamn. how old are you? this point sounds like it was made by a person who thinks music just started in the last decade.

music has always been political. it has always had a statement. the people who make it will say it loud or subliminally.

why the fuck do you want to listen to music wirhout knowing the background story? dude you and i are not of the same mold.

fucking christ.

Last edited by fidelium; 08-06-2017 at 12:09 PM..
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:05 PM   #12
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

The problem lies with people who are judgemental and can't separate the person from art. He didn't ask to be your hero, you put him up on a pedestal and made him your savior. You did that. He is just a guy bound to have faults like anyone else!
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:10 PM   #13
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,447 Times in 1,902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
The problem lies with people who are judgemental and can't separate the person from art. He didn't ask to be your hero, you put him up on a pedestal and made him your savior. You did that. He is just a guy bound to have faults like anyone else!
amen.

fuck you and your need for a hero.

grow up.
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:11 PM   #14
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Having a hero revealed to be human is certainly an experience we all have to go through. Ultimately it ends up being a good thing.

------------------
Thanks to relic
Wasteface (26-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 06:36 PM   #15
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5660

You have to learn to separate the art from the artists, especially in a genre dominated by antisocial musicians who seem to go to the extreme end of any discussion. They aren't good with people, and they don't know the meaning of "comfortable medium".

Let your burger touch their vegan soy wheatgrass smoothie and they act like the world is ending...call them out for being in their 40s trying to fuck underage girls at shows and you're a hater...don't buy their merch and you're not a real fan...it goes on and on. Most people are assholes...its just a matter of how big an asshole they are. If you try to block out all assholes you'll miss a lot of great art.

Prime example-I don't think anyone had a good opinion of Picasso. Most people who met him say he was the biggest asshole they'd ever met, but the guy made amazing visual art. So whaddya do? Miss the art, or overlook the asshole?

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #16
DoomBrain
Analog Lurker
DoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by oDDgOD View Post
You have to learn to separate the art from the artists, especially in a genre dominated by antisocial musicians who seem to go to the extreme end of any discussion. They aren't good with people, and they don't know the meaning of "comfortable medium".

Let your burger touch their vegan soy wheatgrass smoothie and they act like the world is ending...call them out for being in their 40s trying to fuck underage girls at shows and you're a hater...don't buy their merch and you're not a real fan...it goes on and on. Most people are assholes...its just a matter of how big an asshole they are. If you try to block out all assholes you'll miss a lot of great art.

Prime example-I don't think anyone had a good opinion of Picasso. Most people who met him say he was the biggest asshole they'd ever met, but the guy made amazing visual art. So whaddya do? Miss the art, or overlook the asshole?
Great response and constructive, it does seem that the greatest art minds are always the most aggravated.
DoomBrain is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:26 AM   #17
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45942681
Thanked 5,690 Times in 3,584 Posts

down with dope up with hope

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:50 PM   #18
SMHERTZ_Music
Granular Poster
SMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to behold
Italy - UK
MC Status: 660

Well it's an intricate topic, Massive Attack always express their political views, I don't see why an artist shouldn't have the freedom to talk about whatever he wants, regardless of his genre of music. In the specific realm of electronic music, we are so accustomed to see DJs an producers hiding behind the console or in studios, it's not so usual for an artist making instrumental music to talk a lot about him or herself, we identify them with their craft. Truth is that these guys are normal people like us, we shouldn't expect nothing but to feed us with good tunes!

------------------
SMHERTZ_Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:25 AM   #19
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2960

I wouldn't be mad at someone for having their opinion, especially political one. Doesn't seem right to be mad, but I guess it's in human being.
Personally, I get mad after personal insults, nothing more. Insulting my inteligence, or my family. Beyond that I think everyone has the right to their opinion. You may say to yourself, meh you are wrong, and just continue. No need to be mad.

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mario D
Vault O))) (14-06-2017)
Old 13-06-2017, 10:28 PM   #20
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19460

You know there are electronic artist such as Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode, and even say Tricky which have engaged in politics. Electronic is a vast genre of music and yes there is party music, but it is still music.

No genre should be held to personal standards because all music should be an expression of one self, and if that is political so be it. El-P and Killer Mike are electronic, but constantly tackle the political. Kaskade on the other hand does not.

Music is music and people are people so in either way the music should be a reflection of the group.

Advertisements

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote