Wikipedia Founder Launches New Site
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 25-04-2017, 03:18 PM   #1
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 180810
Thanked 3,616 Times in 2,696 Posts
Wikipedia Founder Launches New Site

The founder of Wikipedia has launched a new site called "Wikitribune", to bring journalists and volunteers together, with a view to fighting "fake news" and to offer a source of news that the general public can depend on, in order to keep informed about what is going on in the world around us

Don't know if it will be as good as they hope it will be, but I'm guessing it will certainly take off regardless.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 04:00 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8537430
Thanked 6,930 Times in 4,932 Posts
Re: Wikipedia Founder Launches New Site

I'm really glad to see this happening. Wikipedia is really proof of a way forward with digital media that isn't controlled by the same old gate keepers. Very cool.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (25-04-2017)
Old 25-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #3
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39110

Fuck books, and now - fuck news. Jimmy Wales can have all of my $ now

I landed on an error page there but I'm sure they'll get that squared away

------------------
Totally not clickbait this time, I swear
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
A.M (26-04-2017)
Old 25-04-2017, 06:45 PM   #4
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Yeah..there's not really all that much to see there at the mo..but if that green/blue bar across the top of the page is anything to go by, then they're about 1/5 of the way there raising funds to get this off the ground..with the best part of a month to still to go.

The "supports" number has grown by nearly 1000 since I made my first post about it here..not that that's got anything to with it..just saying.

------------------
Old 25-04-2017, 08:03 PM   #5
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1836827

Great, be interesting to see how it unfolds and develops. Usually a lot of media is biased towards a particular political party or agenda.
Anyway, in my view, anything that hammers Murdoch is fantastic news in my book!

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #6
BoJoProductions
Minor Glitch
BoJoProductions is a jewel in the roughBoJoProductions is a jewel in the roughBoJoProductions is a jewel in the roughBoJoProductions is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
Great, be interesting to see how it unfolds and develops. Usually a lot of media is biased towards a particular political party or agenda.
Anyway, in my view, anything that hammers Murdoch is fantastic news in my book!
I swear the most annoying thing at the moment is just everything being branded "fake news". Infuriating that people can say this for things they simply disagree with - cognitive dissonance to the extreme. Agree with the Murdoch comment though. All editors have views, but this bloke has simply too much power.
BoJoProductions is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 01:23 AM   #7
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903359
Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I'm really glad to see this happening. Wikipedia is really proof of a way forward with digital media that isn't controlled by the same old gate keepers. Very cool.
Meh... Best way Wikipedia could fight fake news is to find a way to resolve their decade long bot war once and for all...

And pretty ironic too that Wikimedia would be a solution to fake news...
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 02:02 AM   #8
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 153310
Thanked 3,066 Times in 1,842 Posts

Oh wow I can't wait to see what will uhm... percolate through. Buttblood, I suspect.

It will be interesting.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
Jaded (13-07-2017)
Old 16-07-2017, 08:39 PM   #9
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560

Personally, I've been moving away from Wikipedia over the last several months.
Just do an advanced search for "alternatives to wikipedia" or "wikipedia alternatives" or "best wikipedia alternatives".

Thus far, one of the best one's I've found is Everipedia.

Wikipedia went downhill when they mandated every entry be sited to a pre-printed article elsewhere. That just doesn't work for music genres or other real life categories. Also, there are now full-time self-appointed wikipedia "experts" who basically just censor the living daylights out of wikipedia and get off on it. Also, wikipedia has become overrun with corporate advertisements and product placements.

If you need science and math, it's ok, but there are other good resources out there.

The known trend is, DONT USE MAINSTREAM SOURCES... THEY EVENTUALLY GET TAKEN OVER AND WATERED DOWN TO CORPORATE PISS.
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #10
Mycelial Cords
Regular Freak
Mycelial Cords is just really niceMycelial Cords is just really niceMycelial Cords is just really niceMycelial Cords is just really nice
Warsaw
MC Status: 360

Thanks great, thanks for the info. May become a great way to support media you trust. Curious to see where it goes.
Mycelial Cords is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 10:53 PM   #11
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024319

this is going to turn into a huge battlefield of arguments. i cant wait to get in the thick of it and wind people up

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 10:58 PM   #12
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC

reading through this a bit more and it seems you have to pay to get involved, despite pushing itself as being free :/
it will flop

------------------
signature loading...
Thanks to Parricide
deadmau7 (25-07-2017)
Old 18-07-2017, 11:05 PM   #13
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
reading through this a bit more and it seems you have to pay to get involved, despite pushing itself as being free :/
it will flop
My understanding was you had the option to become a supporter and pay..otherwise the service would be free. Must double-check that.

Edit: Yeah..it says on their site that the service will always bee free...ad free and no paywall. If you want to help support them, then they offer "subscriptions" which basically gives you the option of becoming someone who gives something on a regular basis to help keep the serve running.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
Daggit (19-07-2017)
Old 20-07-2017, 05:22 AM   #14
Parricide

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
My understanding was you had the option to become a supporter and pay..otherwise the service would be free. Must double-check that.

Edit: Yeah..it says on their site that the service will always bee free...ad free and no paywall. If you want to help support them, then they offer "subscriptions" which basically gives you the option of becoming someone who gives something on a regular basis to help keep the serve running.
i get the impression that if you dont get the monthly subscription then your input will be tucked away down the bottom out of site, if on there at all.
i think they are getting away with pushing it as free because its free to explore. i could be wrong, but thats how i read it. i hope im wrong, if so refer to my other comment

------------------
signature loading...
Thanks to Parricide
A.M (20-07-2017)
Old 26-08-2017, 04:28 AM   #15
volterock
Microknight
volterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MC
CA, USA
MC Status: 147079

This news of news is great news.

I guess we won't be able to download it though until they release the wiki time machine. Can still download wikipedia though for the impending Apocahypse
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...abase_download

Advertisements

------------------
Let me blog you: http://volterock.com

Newest release:
volterock is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote