What is IDM today?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Intelligent Dance Music / Electronica IDM, braindance, ambient techno, electronica or whatever else you call Warp/Skam/Schematic/Planet-Mu/Rephlex/Raster-Noton type music goes here.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:49 PM   #1
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269462008
Thanked 2,768 Times in 1,840 Posts
What is IDM today?

So guys, a couple of questions for you all.

What is IDM today? Is it still Intelligent DANCE Music or that dance has somehow been replaced by experimental music?

And what does it mean to you to be active on a forum about IDM?

Advertisements

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
Jaded (19-02-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 06:24 PM   #2
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024319
Re: What is IDM today?

IDM means nothing to me. genres in general mean nothing to me. i just love making and listening to music, i dont really think about what genre it happens to be labelled as.

the reason i love this place has nothing to do with IDM either. one of the great things about this place is that it covers far more than just IDM, half the members here dont even make IDM, but its ok and its accepted. it doesnt even matter what genres or styles you make, we are all in to the same thing, music.

i didnt really answer your question, but there is my input

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Parricide
Sons of Achab (11-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 06:25 PM   #3
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744029641
Thanked 7,244 Times in 4,503 Posts

loldm
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:44 PM   #4
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12851960

I think it was always a silly name for experimental electronic music that journalists at the time couldn't disconnect from the rave and dance music scene of the time.

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false

My Techno Music News & Techno Mixes Blog

Submit mixes to TechnoMusicNews.com
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:50 PM   #5
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20360

I think that nowwadays, IDM is just another way of saying that you make spruced up techno music, if I'm being honest, I don't like the modern stuff that much.

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:04 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8537930
Thanked 6,940 Times in 4,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikighost View Post
I think it was always a silly name for experimental electronic music that journalists at the time couldn't disconnect from the rave and dance music scene of the time.
I never thought *any* of it was very danceable myself. Maybe some stuff like Uziq which was basically just "spruced up" jungle (thanks @mute machine, gonna borrow that). I always preferred, but rarely use the term brainfunk--to me funk music gets your body moving, brain funk gets your mind moving.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
lolirl (11-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 07:05 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
I think that nowwadays, IDM is just another way of saying that you make spruced up techno music, if I'm being honest, I don't like the modern stuff that much.
What do you consider modern spruced up techno that calls itself IDM?

------------------
Old 10-01-2017, 07:44 PM   #8
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25810

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
What do you consider modern spruced up techno that calls itself IDM?
Clark? Really like that fellows stuff and it's pretty techno-ish

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:13 PM   #9
sl9dge
Regular Freak
sl9dge will become famous soon enoughsl9dge will become famous soon enough
Paris
MC Status: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
IDM means nothing to me. genres in general mean nothing to me. i just love making and listening to music, i dont really think about what genre it happens to be labelled as.

the reason i love this place has nothing to do with IDM either. one of the great things about this place is that it covers far more than just IDM, half the members here dont even make IDM, but its ok and its accepted. it doesnt even matter what genres or styles you make, we are all in to the same thing, music.

i didnt really answer your question, but there is my input

It's very true ! But I think there are genres. What people should do is to just stop letting themselves trapped in genres they like and ignore those they don't like.

IDM was an experimental electronic music genre, using non-musical noises serving musical purposes. Nowadays, more and more producers has this genre as a reference. It's like their Mozart or something. So everyone does a bit of IDM when producing. We all try to include some clever production ideas into our projects so there is no IDM anymore because it's in all of us now LOL DEEP THOUGHTS
sl9dge is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:51 PM   #10
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
What is IDM today? Is it still Intelligent DANCE Music or that dance has somehow been replaced by experimental music?
To me IDM in relation to this forum denotes a mind-state of the average poster more than a musical genre. Most people that find their way to a forum like this, while likely not making proper IDM themselves, are typically going to be more open minded on everything from musical styles to ways of being, thinking, and doing.

I don't think "IDM" is really even a thing today being as many aspects of what IDM was has seeped out even into the mainstream of music. I mean sure people still try and pigeon hole stuff into certain genres but, everything is so cross influenced today that even "IDM" itself pretty much just become a hodgepodge of things from evocative 4x4 to glitch. Looking at the IDMf catalog shows this pretty well I think actually.

Quote:
To me this forum isn't about IDM, it's about the production of IDM - see above for my opinion of what IDM actually is. Being as it's about IDM production what it means to me to be an active member is - I'm here to learn from and help others in the production of music. That would go along with the assumption that I am making music or involved in the production of music on some level, otherwise what am I doing here?

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
lolirl (11-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 10:08 PM   #11
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
My hell
MC Status: 8560

Infant of a Diabetic Mother

------------------
sent from another world
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:15 AM   #12
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I never thought *any* of it was very danceable myself. Maybe some stuff like Uziq which was basically just "spruced up" jungle (thanks @mute machine, gonna borrow that). I always preferred, but rarely use the term brainfunk--to me funk music gets your body moving, brain funk gets your mind moving.
Interesting.
I always figured that the "intelligent" bit meant that you should basically forget about the "dance" bit.
In like a sneery way, and as a a backlash to all the twats that just wanted to dance to anything with a 4/4 beat at weekends?
Surely this was always just pretty much stoner couch music in reality?
Braindance is maybe a better idea, but hardly any less pretentious.

I've said it before but IDM was never taken seriously as a name for this stuff in the UK, and to even go along with it pretty much made you a middle-class suburban Select-reading wanker with no idea of proper raving.
Always very much "what the americans call..." ambient techno and then later "glitch" for the want of a better description.

Sorry to all the lovely Americans we have here, I know it's not your fault guys.

Nowadays with so much diversification I'll basically post anything I like from breakcore to minimal techno and anything inbetween in the IDM release section, and only because I think that there's a good chance "IDMers" might like it, not because I consider it IDM.

edit: lol, or basically what RFJ said.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:20 AM   #13
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33060

Intelligent Design Music, obviously.

Little flanged high-passed cymbal hits at 150bpm as proof of God?

Intellectually Destructive Music, obviously.

The rumbles make me dumberer.

Insanely Depressing Musak, most obviously.

My deep, dark secret is that I don't really like IDM. I'm not an Aphex Twin fan. Don't wanna listen to The Orb. I like Autechre, but some days I'm more into the idea of Autechre than I am actually listening to it. Pretty much every Techno and EDM track I've ever sat through has bored the hell out of me. Like, I get it, and sometimes I appreciate it, and I respect it, but I'm not 'into' it.

I'm mostly here because this is the most active and intelligent electronic music community I've seen that isn't populated by a bunch of circle jerking fucktards, and I happen to like and make music with machines. What I mostly enjoy about this community is that there's a lot of respect. I'd like to think whether I personally enjoy a track or not doesn't have bearing on whether I can constructively comment on it, and I'd hope people would do the same for me if and when I actually post crap. As long as this place respects the people and the process, it's a treasure trove of awesome.

Quote:
I don't know and I don't really care. I'm not a dancer. It was a poor choice of words made up by the press that happened to stick.
Quote:
It means people won't immediately dismiss my 20 minutes of mid-range rumbles as unlistenable noise and bother to critique and comment. Also, people who actually know things about music production talking about music production, which is helpful and interesting no matter what you're actually producing.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:27 AM   #14
lolirl
Administrator

Somebody make him a mod, quick.
Thanks to lolirl
fidelium (02-02-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 01:40 AM   #15
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39260

Quote:
This just made me realize that I only come here to post about metal

------------------
Totally not clickbait this time, I swear
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:57 AM   #16
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 19360

i make spaghetti
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:33 AM   #17
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181010
Thanked 3,620 Times in 2,700 Posts

Take a good dollop of Artificer's take on this and mix in a generous helping of what lolirl said. Let that stand for a while, then fold in a few ounces of what RFJ said. Mull the whole lot over for a couple of hours, until you are well and truly baked..then sprinkle the end result with a few of Parricide's words.

Basically, if I like the sound of something, then its "good music" to my mind, regardless of if it is pop, underground, intelligent or dumb..I never really have followed trends or genres and I still don't, preferring my own sense of good and bad to guide me..and it seems to have worked just fine for me over the years.

As for this place..I come here because of the really intelligent people on here who know a thing or two about music production, knowledge that is applicable to the production of all genres of music. I come here for the banter and battles, the laughs..as well as the occasional lows.

I come here because it's my "one-stop-shop" for real music, made by people who come across as being as real as the music they make. I get we all come from different backgrounds and cultures..that nobody really knows anyone online and all that, but there's a certain level of camaraderie on here that is hard to find elsewhere.

Enough said..that above covers everything I think.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:03 AM   #18
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

^ditto.

This is, all around, the best music forum I've found.

------------------
Thanks to relic
A.M (11-01-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 09:55 AM   #19
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 153310
Thanked 3,066 Times in 1,842 Posts

What aiki said. Period. Sometimes things are that simple and it is the case here.

Yes the forum is named after a non-thing, really.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:11 PM   #20
sl9dge
Regular Freak
sl9dge will become famous soon enoughsl9dge will become famous soon enough
Paris
MC Status: 110

Idea-M

Advertisements

sl9dge is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote