The off topic thread - Page 1570
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Your Music

IDMf Netlabel

The Studio

Community Center

Music By Genre

Groups

Old 02-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #31381
rewir3d
rewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MC
MC Status: 3047969
Re: The off topic thread

The main reason I suggest remaining at the same distance is unless he really understands the dynamics of his own voice and how it is effecting the overall signal and sound he is creating by stepping or leaning back, he may just be inducing more issues in doing so.

Advertisements

------------------
rewir3d is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:42 PM   #31382
rewir3d
rewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsweeper View Post
Recording vocals is buttass hard, If the mic input is too low, the quiet parts get drowned in the noise floor, but if it's too high, CLIP CITY

is it time to get an ~✧*:・゚Audio Interface*:・゚✧~??
Turning down the input is not what you want to do at all since it is greatly effecting the signal to noise floor ratio. Stay as high as possible. An interface will help with a cleaner signal and less noise floor which in turn gives you more headroom in itself.

Try to look up and understand the frequency response chart and polar patterns of your mic as well.

------------------
Old 02-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #31383
ab
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46062914

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewir3d View Post
Stay as high as possible.
soundd advice, will do, subsribed

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:37 PM   #31384
rewir3d

^ As long as you at least took something from it

------------------
Old 02-10-2016, 09:00 PM   #31385
Lug
Pissbucket
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80934430
Thanked 2,884 Times in 1,920 Posts

decided to follow a seminar on US civilization called "Mainstream and Marginality in the US" I was like "oh cool, counterculture shit!" and well of course it's a fucking economy class. The fuck, I never read a single article about economics in my whole life. Well, gotta start somewhere.

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lug
Muse-ic (Today)
Old 02-10-2016, 10:41 PM   #31386
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
��
MC Status: 262775279
Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
What's your soundcard? Laptop integrated thing?

YEP

Taking all of the responses together, it sounds like I really oughtta get an interface. I don't even turn the input down that low, but the noise floor seems rather high, probably because I'm using a usb mic on a shitty laptop.

Also I don't even have a mic stand lol, but I ought get one too. I knew about the "look up slightly to open throat" thing, and I try my best to keep it higher so you don't have to slouch down to sing into it...but we still record everything sitting at this point woopz.

Also I noticed that the sound changes a bit depending on how close you are to the mic. I'd rather avoid using distance to level volume when I can.

RECORDING VOCALS IS SO NEW AND EXCITING WOAH

------------------
currently seeking: cool dweeb to help me write some really silly lyrics
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:59 PM   #31387
FunkMasterBrown
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222259234
Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote:
YEP

Taking all of the responses together, it sounds like I really oughtta get an interface. I don't even turn the input down that low, but the noise floor seems rather high, probably because I'm using a usb mic on a shitty laptop.

Also I don't even have a mic stand lol, but I ought get one too. I knew about the "look up slightly to open throat" thing, and I try my best to keep it higher so you don't have to slouch down to sing into it...but we still record everything sitting at this point woopz.

Also I noticed that the sound changes a bit depending on how close you are to the mic. I'd rather avoid using distance to level volume when I can.

RECORDING VOCALS IS SO NEW AND EXCITING WOAH
its the proximity effect, the closer you are the more low end it has? if the range in volume of his voice during one take is so much that its too quiet one minute and clipping the next you have 3 immediate options:

move the bloke closer and further away, change the gain during the performance, use a compressor. you don't really want to be compressing as it goes in because you cant un compress it later if you make a mistake and if the range is as extreme as it sounds you would have to compress quite a bit too. you don't want to piss about with the gain either I would suggest. he really doesn't have to move far at all, doesn't even need to move his feet just lean back a bit

rewired has been on courses though so even though he didn't once mention a solution to your problem he did say not to take my advice so that settles that

you could try compressing to control the dynamics as long as you don't alter the dynamics of the signal

thank god I'm working the next 2 days

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:50 PM   #31388
rewir3d

Your advice was telling him to move more during his performance and look down into the mic lol. It must be tiring being you, disputing everyone all the time.

Yes my audio degree instantly gives me more credibility then you man, simple. I studied the shit out of signal flow. Ran a neotek, neve vr, and SSL console. Learned proper mic techniques and an understanding of how a mic itself works, how to read polar patterns and frequency response charts, etc., etc..

People who don't understand compression will advise against it but I am telling you I seen plenty of professional engineers use plenty of it in the recording phase!

------------------
Old Yesterday, 12:04 AM   #31389
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
��

Oh boys, stop it! Don't fight because of little ol' me~

But seriously just don't.

I would like to clarify also: There's really not a huge amount of dynamics in the performance; There's no whispering to suddenly yelling or anything like that. But a normal amount of dynamics is still such that I have to worry that the quiet parts will get noise fucked and the loud parts will clip. Ideally I think I need to be able to compress/limit before it even hits the sound card but obviously I can't do that yet (and also might be wrong as fuck because recording is obviously not my strong suit )

------------------
Old Yesterday, 12:05 AM   #31390
FunkMasterBrown
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222259234
Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,477 Posts

ive got a music production degree you arse

edit: Its really tiring

Last edited by FunkMasterBrown; Yesterday at 12:14 AM.. Reason: i say bellend way too much

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:34 AM   #31391
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39263899

I wonder where the recent-esque "hipster scene" revival of undying love for Fleetwood Mac came from....

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to candlesayshi
th☼m (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:02 AM   #31392
rewir3d

Quote:
Oh boys, stop it! Don't fight because of little ol' me~

But seriously just don't.

I would like to clarify also: There's really not a huge amount of dynamics in the performance; There's no whispering to suddenly yelling or anything like that. But a normal amount of dynamics is still such that I have to worry that the quiet parts will get noise fucked and the loud parts will clip. Ideally I think I need to be able to compress/limit before it even hits the sound card but obviously I can't do that yet (and also might be wrong as fuck because recording is obviously not my strong suit )
I def suggest an interface! With the increased sample and bit rate, that will give you a lot more dynamic range then you currently have and will help with situations like this one for sure

------------------
Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM   #31393
brb
≠a² from Delaware
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
Brum
MC Status: 69851019

There's nothing wrong with sitting down to sing, in theory. It depends on context, the individual style of the singer, genre, etc. I wouldn't suggest it if you were singing opera or showtunes but if you're not using much of your diaphragm and singing in more of a pop/rock/folk style then I don't see a problem, especially if you tend to perform sat down anyway.

The mic position also depends on the vocal and performance style and the recording conditions - most performers will not sing up live (Liam Gallagher style), while vocal recording booths traditionally have the mic high. How you choose to do it should fit the requirements of the singer and the recording conditions.

On the subject of input levels, you need to get as hot a signal as possible especially if your setup is noisy (which it will be using an integrated soundcard). Lower input level will mean a lower signal to noise ratio when you come to amplify the recording. There will be more hiss, fuzz, strange right angled blocks of DC offset and digital weirdness. Higher input levels might mean more hiss if you're not taking advantage of the dynamic range, but that's mainly down to individual vocal style and mic technique. Find the balance that's right for the circumstances and voice.

Check out Lenny Peters's sat down singing and fucking weird mic technique which seemed to work for him:

Also mic choice is super important. The rule of thumb drilled into me was to use a mic that best compliments the style of singer (e.g. if they have a bright/lispy sibilance use a mic with a duller response, if they have a dull/muffled voice, choose a mic with a brighter response). If you don't have a choice of mics you can experiment with adding/removing pop shields and windscreens. Try to get the sound as good as you can before resorting to EQ and compression, IMO.

You can make a decent pop shield from an old pair of tights and a bent wire coat hanger. A pop shield will probably fix a lot of plosive clipping problems. You can also make a kiiiind of ghetto recording booth with a cardboard box lined with a thick fleece garment or towel and the mic fixed at the back. It seems like a silly idea but it can work wonders in reducing reflections and ambient noise.

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM   #31394
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
��

I have a pop filter, and we record in my clothes-filled walk-in closet. The clothes lining the walls really work wonders as far as ghetto recording booths go

I'm wondering if picking up a usb mic ages ago wasn't such a good idea

------------------
Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM   #31395
brb
≠a² from Delaware
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
Brum
MC Status: 69851019

I think you can probably hack a jack socket to a USB mic, assuming you can access the analogue part of the signal without fucking up the mic casing itself. The + and - wires leading off from the business end would do, just solder (or really tightly splice and glue) some wires from those points to the + and - wires of a jack cable. Preferably do it lower down the signal path so you're not changing the internal physical characteristics of the mic casing though.

Probably lots of health and safety reasons not to do that, but fuck it. If the analogue signal travels all the way down the USB cable you could make a nice female USB to female jack adaptor. Just avoid the +5V (or whatever it is) pin. If there's some bulky box (perhaps with a volume control?) on the USB cable, that would be a great place to do the hack (preferably on the volume control output pins but essentially before any analogue-to-digital witchcraft).

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM   #31396
SKYCORE
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
where we planted the seeds
MC Status: 34960

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
There's nothing wrong with sitting down to sing, in theory. It depends on context, the individual style of the singer, genre, etc. I wouldn't suggest it if you were singing opera or showtunes but if you're not using much of your diaphragm and singing in more of a pop/rock/folk style then I don't see a problem, especially if you tend to perform sat down anyway.

The mic position also depends on the vocal and performance style and the recording conditions - most performers will not sing up live (Liam Gallagher style), while vocal recording booths traditionally have the mic high. How you choose to do it should fit the requirements of the singer and the recording conditions.

On the subject of input levels, you need to get as hot a signal as possible especially if your setup is noisy (which it will be using an integrated soundcard). Lower input level will mean a lower signal to noise ratio when you come to amplify the recording. There will be more hiss, fuzz, strange right angled blocks of DC offset and digital weirdness. Higher input levels might mean more hiss if you're not taking advantage of the dynamic range, but that's mainly down to individual vocal style and mic technique. Find the balance that's right for the circumstances and voice.

Check out Lenny Peters's sat down singing and fucking weird mic technique which seemed to work for him:

Also mic choice is super important. The rule of thumb drilled into me was to use a mic that best compliments the style of singer (e.g. if they have a bright/lispy sibilance use a mic with a duller response, if they have a dull/muffled voice, choose a mic with a brighter response). If you don't have a choice of mics you can experiment with adding/removing pop shields and windscreens. Try to get the sound as good as you can before resorting to EQ and compression, IMO.

You can make a decent pop shield from an old pair of tights and a bent wire coat hanger. A pop shield will probably fix a lot of plosive clipping problems. You can also make a kiiiind of ghetto recording booth with a cardboard box lined with a thick fleece garment or towel and the mic fixed at the back. It seems like a silly idea but it can work wonders in reducing reflections and ambient noise.
SWAYING LOL

------------------
KVLT sittin on my face
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:20 PM   #31397
th☼m
Savage Mad Cunt
th☼m is a savage MCth☼m is a savage MCth☼m is a savage MCth☼m is a savage MCth☼m is a savage MCth☼m is a savage MCth☼m is a savage MCth☼m is a savage MCth☼m is a savage MCth☼m is a savage MCth☼m is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 85560
Thanked 1,711 Times in 1,062 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlesayshi View Post
I wonder where the recent-esque "hipster scene" revival of undying love for Fleetwood Mac came from....

They toured not too long ago. Also they are/were a great band and all...and like most people with half a heart in their chest, I love this song:

So good. So damn good.

I wanted to buy three ticks for my mum, sis and me but I had no money. How's that for a story.
th☼m is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM   #31398
Jaded
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 6838309
Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,291 Posts

Quote:
I have a pop filter, and we record in my clothes-filled walk-in closet. The clothes lining the walls really work wonders as far as ghetto recording booths go
If you only have one or two mics, then mic choice isn't really going to help you. Mic choice with two mics is just reminding you that you have no choice.

If you don't have a preamp, then checking your levels isn't really going to help you. More than anything, vocals really need preamps.

It's already been said that you could just buy an audio interface. But if you can't afford one, you could always just try the old punch in punch out and set your levels accordingly for each stage of the performance. You won't be able to do the whole performance in a single take, but you can still at least get a clean signal and capture everything you need.

Another option if you don't want a preamp is to get a mic pad (I'm assuming your mic doesn't have one) like this:
http://www.earthworksaudio.com/produ...ries/mic-pads/

The result is 20dB of attenuation which should provide you with a dynamic range more suited to the performance.

Quote:
I'm wondering if picking up a usb mic ages ago wasn't such a good idea
Well, there's nothing wrong with the mic itself. If you have predictable levels (like dialog) then it's perfect as is. But if you have something less predictable (like singing or instrument playing) then you're going to have these problems.

Regardless of whether it's a USB or traditional mic. You're always going to encounter these problems with larger condensers.

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
EDIT: TL;DR: [citation needed]
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote

The off topic thread Tags
asshole olympics, benwaa's lovechild, cockball collective, nip nip ballsack hairy hairy bum, off topic, offbeat, relic, relic smells of roses, taco, thom's vaginas, wat, we are anal cunt and you're not, wiener cupping tuesdays