Controlling Ableton (Maschine/Launchkey)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 26-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
A Tree
Sample Destroyer
A Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond reputeA Tree has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2560
Controlling Ableton (Maschine/Launchkey)

Maschine Mk2 1.8.2
Live 9.1.1
Win8 x64
Launchkey 49

It's Sunday today. Which means, no tech support. And, it was Saturday yesterday, which meant, no tech support. I'll start this rant with a proposal to start a weekend warrior tech support company which may or may not help the person (charge a 5 dollar fee for the desperate) and make out like bandits. People won't even expect to have their issue resolved because, heyyo... they're idiots and they didn't try turning it off and on!

I did, however try all the steps mentioned here [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

twice.

Uninstalled, re-installed. Searched for all known sub folders and was redundant about copy/pasta-ing the necessary folders.

See the "Loading the Ableton Live Controller Editor template" section? See how they insist you "Append"? Mine doesn't do that. There is no "append", nor "replace" in the drop down. I did, however go to the folders in my operating system and replaced them.

See the "Setting up Ableton Live for use with the MASCHINE Mk2 Controller"? Mine doesn't have "virtual" input/output. Just mk2 in/out. Which, it's been suggested is a common oversight. But, seven hells, I can't even make that mistake because there is no "virtual" option available in the drop down for me to overlook!

It's such a bitch to install Maschine's software. I have ridiculous speed on this comp and it still takes forever. But I went through the pain, regardless because I'm not going to give in and go buy an apc when I also have a launchkey.......... but wait, that fucking thing won't work either!

Sure, it's great for mapping and (why not just map it and build template, and, and and). Because it should do what it's fucking advertised to do, that's why. This "in control" function is not happening. I gave up on it early on because the best answer I got was to ensure the usb port was 3.0. It was/is. Still, nada. No software for this thing, so, kinda up shit's creek.

The funny thing about this, is the least expensive piece of outboard equipement I own actually works. My little starter Akai mpk Mini maps to ableton's controls so effortlessly (just push program and away you go) but the pads are bit shite, as is the usb connection wonky.

Anyway, hopefully my frustration has entertained some. I have no doubt, I am in fact an idiot. Though it isn't encouraging when you come across threads on NI's own forum that are devoid of solutions. I'm hoping Monday will yield better results.

Any help or insight from experience is always appreciated.

Or you could just join with me in cursing the gods.

Last edited by A Tree; 26-01-2014 at 08:54 PM..

Advertisements

A Tree is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
panten
Granular Poster
panten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MC
MC Status: 52283
Re: Controlling Ableton (Maschine/Launchkey)

I think the latest updates to Maschine, and maybe even Live, broke the NI scripts.

An alternative to this is using the utterly fantastic MXT-Live by the similarly named nativeKontrol.

The guy who makes these MIDI Remote Scripts is called Stray (metastatik on the Ableton Forum) and he's a really nice guy; easy to talk to and very helpful. It does cost money but that guys is a genius and is fixing all manner of holes and inconsistencies in the default Push scripts.

Advertisements

panten is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to panten
A Tree (06-02-2014)