[Techno] devils_avocado - The Unvonvetional One
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 08-04-2018, 11:30 PM   #1
devils_avocado
Minor Glitch
devils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710
[Techno] devils_avocado - The Unconventional One

Version 6, and a WIP/Work In Progress.

Direct link: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Please let me know if I've been inconsiderate regarding any rules. I know I need at least 35 posts to post links so I assume I'm okay to share my unfinished track here?

Was planning to finish it fully except without mastering it and releasing it, because even at its most finished state I'd need feedback, because I suck, based purely on the fact that most people find my weirdness weird - even when they like it.

Technically I'd say if I had to pick a genre it's techno. Bit it's really just what it is. It is what it is. I'd call it Weirdtronica, lol.

Yeah I know it's super long, 14 minutes. But it's an unfinished demo/revision, version 6. Has been even longer previously, gradually trimming it down as I work on it. Just listen for as long as you want and if you put it on loop and have nothing better to listen to, it starts to feel shorter after a while, so long as it's not too painful to the ears.

Anyway, hope you enjoy, but even if you hate it that's better than being bored to death

I am clearly, yeah, a 100% amateur. Know next to zero theory.

Semi-enjoy or whatever. I guess.

Last edited by devils_avocado; 09-04-2018 at 12:33 AM..

Advertisements

devils_avocado is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Techno] devils_avocado - The Unvonvetional One.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:33 AM   #2
wipeout
Soundscaper
wipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MC
San Francisco, CA
MC Status: 2023747
Re: [Techno] devils_avocado - The Unvonvetional One

3:00 is cool. I'm listening on my laptop so i don't hear much bass. It really sounds more like a mix than a singular track. I think all your synths sounds nice(around 9:00). 14:00 for a song is quite long though. I think you could cut some of the loops running by 1/2 to shorten the song and make it more cohesive. Some of the transitions are very abrupt. This works well in some cases but not in others. Looking at the sound wave the track stays the same volume pretty much the entire time so for 14:00 there's not a lot of break for the listener's ears. You could work on the dynamics in that regard by adding a build up or something with quiet parts to help with your transitions. I enjoyed it!

------------------
wipeout is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:06 AM   #3
devils_avocado
Minor Glitch
devils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to behold

Thank you Wipeout!

Are there any moments in particular you would consider overly abrupt changes?

And yeah regarding the length I definitely plan on shortening it a lot. My tracks gradually get shorter over time as I revise them.

Regarding it being the same volume all the way through, yeah, I don't really know much about mixing I don't expect that to change much anytime soon unless I knew a lot more about how to do it. I should probably take a music production course someday as that should help with that. Takes a lot to motivate me to go out places though lol.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:45 AM   #4
HalfTrek
Regular Freak
HalfTrek will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Hi just quickly listening through with my morning coffee

Some notes:

- Main synth on the start is a bit rough for my tastes. Maybe filter it a bit? Or use another one all together.
- On 1:52 there is a sudden volume increase. Seems to decrease again around 3:58?
- Also liking that 3:00 part, but it does meander on..entire song meanders on ;-)
I too can sometimes make my tracks a bit long (but not 14mins though) and afterwards I usually think about going back and editing it or even chopping it up in 2 or 3 tracks.
- I always like some broken beats, so very nice! They do have trouble coming through at point though, like around 8 mins. Seem to fluctuate in volume, did you use sidechain maybe?
- Overall as you mention yourself, a lot could be gained in mixing. I'm no mixing pro but I think I would try and make that lead synth thing and that synth bass take up less space by using EQ and also turn them down and push the drums up at points - or possibly better, take the rest down (although some beats are louder then others, so maybe first fix that)
- Ow and maybe try and make a shorter version
HalfTrek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 01:00 PM   #5
devils_avocado
Minor Glitch

Thank you for the info! Agree with most of your advice!

The main synth at the start... I definitely really like one half of it but I do agree that at least half of it needs altering. That 'main synth' at the start is actually two different synths playing together, believe it or not. One of them I really like how it is thick and bassy but the other one is a little too quirky and needs a tweak.

Agree with pretty much everything else you said.

P.S. Sorry I haven't been around on IDMF much in general folks. I actually suddenly have a lot less spare time now because I actually got a new lady friend! Me and her aren't together yet so it's early days yet, don't wanna make it public or anything in case it goes downhill and doesn't work out. But anyway I'm super happy but also that's why I don't have much time to post as much as I did when I joined!

Advertisements