Trouble with getting back to "writing mood"
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #1
mikemath7
Regular Freak
mikemath7 is a jewel in the roughmikemath7 is a jewel in the roughmikemath7 is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260
Trouble with getting back to "writing mood"

Last week I composed a pretty good melody on which to build the rest of a new track of mine. This week, every time I opened my project from DAW and started looping the audio clip to build the track further, I've had trouble getting back to that focused state of mind, the writing mood. You know, that mood where you feel inspired and it's easy to progress with your track.

Do you guys have similar experiences and maybe tips/methods to share on how to get back into that composing headspace?

Advertisements

mikemath7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 171760
Thanked 3,435 Times in 2,563 Posts
Re: Trouble with getting back to "writing mood"

I'm pretty sure there's a thread on here all about this topic already..just can't find it now..sorry.

That said, ..yeah..it's all part of the creative process and I wouldn't worry too much about it. You'll find the more you try to actually be creative, the harder it will be. I'm not talking about editing or general production stuff here..but that part you're talking about, where you're composing / writing new stuff and you're totally "in the zone".

Sorry to say few can manage to stay in that place all the time , every time they sit down and fire up their DAW..but what I've found works best for me..and gets results..is to just focus on improving what I have already and taking it from there.

I usually find what works best is to loop the part I already have and then just try out different sounds / instruments and play along with it without any expectations and see where that takes me..and it usually leads me on to the next step in the project..something clicks or sounds cool and then I focus on that part and begin the process all over again.

Also, there's nothing wrong with setting something aside and starting something new, if that works for you..you never know, the track you're currently trying to write might not be the one your creative side is trying to get out into the open, so don't limit yourself and try to force anything..that never helps.

The number one thing, though, is to have fun.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
mikemath7 (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 03:29 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8528680
Thanked 6,755 Times in 4,814 Posts

Consistantly working on someting to do with your music--better yet scheduling it at the same days/times--will make it easier for you and your brain to get into that writing mode. It isn't easy to do and I'm not good at it, but with out consistancy and/or a schedule your brain will have to do much more warming up.

Even if its only 45 minutes or an hour at the beginning or end of each day and whatever you do ends up not getting used, making this a practice in your life will make things easier.

I also find that sometimes I come up with something one day that I really, really like and then I just never feel that "magic" with the melody/beat/whatever again after that initial spark. It happens. Don't worry about it. Not even the super stars sit around just shitting golden eggs : )

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:49 PM   #4
mikemath7
Regular Freak
mikemath7 is a jewel in the roughmikemath7 is a jewel in the roughmikemath7 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
I'm pretty sure there's a thread on here all about this topic already..just can't find it now..sorry.

That said, ..yeah..it's all part of the creative process and I wouldn't worry too much about it. You'll find the more you try to actually be creative, the harder it will be. I'm not talking about editing or general production stuff here..but that part you're talking about, where you're composing / writing new stuff and you're totally "in the zone".

Sorry to say few can manage to stay in that place all the time , every time they sit down and fire up their DAW..but what I've found works best for me..and gets results..is to just focus on improving what I have already and taking it from there.

I usually find what works best is to loop the part I already have and then just try out different sounds / instruments and play along with it without any expectations and see where that takes me..and it usually leads me on to the next step in the project..something clicks or sounds cool and then I focus on that part and begin the process all over again.

Also, there's nothing wrong with setting something aside and starting something new, if that works for you..you never know, the track you're currently trying to write might not be the one your creative side is trying to get out into the open, so don't limit yourself and try to force anything..that never helps.

The number one thing, though, is to have fun.
Thanks for your advice! The tricky part is definitely maintaining the fun side, because there's a limited amount of time in one day to spend on the track and ideally I would like to make as much progress as possible. But I will sit my ass down and try your approach on my track! And I feel like I really want to push and finish this track that I started rather than change to a new one, because I've done that in the past and found that this same phenomenon has multiplied. I guess the main reason is that I don't yet have a clear vision on how I want the end result to sound like.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
mikemath7
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Consistantly working on someting to do with your music--better yet scheduling it at the same days/times--will make it easier for you and your brain to get into that writing mode. It isn't easy to do and I'm not good at it, but with out consistancy and/or a schedule your brain will have to do much more warming up.

Even if its only 45 minutes or an hour at the beginning or end of each day and whatever you do ends up not getting used, making this a practice in your life will make things easier.

I also find that sometimes I come up with something one day that I really, really like and then I just never feel that "magic" with the melody/beat/whatever again after that initial spark. It happens. Don't worry about it. Not even the super stars sit around just shitting golden eggs : )
This is definitely a good strategy, thanks! How specifically do you schedule your process when you create a track? Something like "make a chorus at 4pm" or even more detailed tasks?
Old 10-08-2017, 03:53 PM   #6
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 104500
Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,353 Posts

Have multiple ideas or projects on the go at the same time at different stages. You might not be in the mood for composing, so do sound design, mixing,etc. that day! Browse samples, make a template, lots of options!

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:59 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Honestly it doesn't have to be that specific. It can even just be an exercise if you don't have a track to work on. My suggestion is really to just do something, anything music related at the same times on the same days. It is a strategy I teach in creative writing classes.

But no, I never schedule myself to write a chorus at 4pm. That might work for some people, but the above is about as structured as I get. I kind of tragically thrive on chaos in most of my life honestly.

PS: I don't know how useful you would find it, but I take most of my creative lifestyle tips from a book called "Writing Down the Bones" by Natalie Goldberg (a U.S. Poet and teacher). She writes specifically about writing, but I feel like the general principles apply to any creative pursuit. And I have adapted some of her exercises for music (not formally, just for myself on occasion).

Its a great book. Its not very structured or formal. You don't even really have to read the chapters in order.

------------------
Old 10-08-2017, 04:48 PM   #8
Daggit
Knob Twiddler
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
Because science
MC Status: 4110

some things that might help...

make sure loops are at least 2 sections long, yet ideally, 4 sections long.
if a loop is too short and small, it will restrict what you can do with it.
also, you can't even do alternative meters/rhythms, if it's only 8 or 16 beats.
you need to have 48 or 64 beats in a drum loop to get nice.

other than that, i struggle with it also.
try to sleep with earplugs to give your ears a rest every night.
your ears might be so worn out that you can't process the ideas of sound well enough to compose.

------------------
Hear my tunes at https://hearthis.at/daggit-gr/
Using: M-Audio KeyStation 49es, Alesis M1Active 320 USB, HP EliteBook, Xubuntu Linux w/WINE, Reaper, FL Studio, lots of freeware VST instruments and effects.
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:14 PM   #9
mikemath7
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
PS: I don't know how useful you would find it, but I take most of my creative lifestyle tips from a book called "Writing Down the Bones" by Natalie Goldberg (a U.S. Poet and teacher). She writes specifically about writing, but I feel like the general principles apply to any creative pursuit. And I have adapted some of her exercises for music (not formally, just for myself on occasion).

Its a great book. Its not very structured or formal. You don't even really have to read the chapters in order.
I will certainly get a copy of that book to check out, sounds very interesting to me. Thank you!
Old 10-08-2017, 10:31 PM   #10
LDKitz
Minor Glitch
LDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

Haha yeah man .. thats a fking struggle.. happens to me everytime , once the main melody is done its rly difficult for me to make some variations..
When this happens , i go through my library ( i use Maschine ) to find a dope sound that inspires me for that particular track.
If i dont have any inspiration and nothing comes out , i just take a break from that track , and focus on something else like a new track or i listen to some music.

Peace
LDKitz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:15 PM   #11
mikemath7
Regular Freak

I spent some time taking breaks and then going back to trying different sounds and samples to play along with the melody in different lenghts etc. It took a few hours but finally I found one that matched perfectly. And then all of the sudden I had 5 more new elements that go together nice with the original melody! Thanks guys for your tips, they really made a difference.
Thanks to mikemath7
Daggit (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 07:31 AM   #12
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 33860

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemath7 View Post
You know, that mood where you feel inspired and it's easy to progress with your track.

Do you guys have similar experiences and maybe tips/methods to share on how to get back into that composing headspace?
You're better off learning how to flex the 'I don't feel like it' muscle. Just like taking up a new exercise program, it feels like shit until it doesn't. Use your allotted 20 minutes or whatever you have each day and make something with it. Then if you happen to have a burst of serotonin / dopamine fueling your next creative endeavor, that's cool too - but you at least learned how to write even when you're just operating on 'normal'.

IMO

------------------
Vault O))) is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
mikemath7 (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 09:05 AM   #13
mikemath7
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
You're better off learning how to flex the 'I don't feel like it' muscle. Just like taking up a new exercise program, it feels like shit until it doesn't. Use your allotted 20 minutes or whatever you have each day and make something with it. Then if you happen to have a burst of serotonin / dopamine fueling your next creative endeavor, that's cool too - but you at least learned how to write even when you're just operating on 'normal'.

IMO
Never knew that was something one could practice getting better at. Thanks for the tip!
Old 12-08-2017, 07:44 PM   #14
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post

IMO
I think it depends on what your goals are. If one just likes twisting knobs and seeing if they come up with something cool and are ok with bailing if the "mood" leaves them I think this is fine. The "I don't feel like it muscle" is already pretty welled trained in most people, I feel. At least in myself.

If one's goal is to consistantly produce music other people might want to listen to, I think significant atrophy to the "I don't feel like it muscle is in order."

To be clear I'm not advocating working out the "forcing it" muscle either. Just to take the time and do something music related, it doesnt need to have some kind of grand end result. Though now that I am rereading your post I'm not sure we disagree, haha.

Opps wake n'

------------------
Old 15-08-2017, 08:46 AM   #15
Kollectiv Vizio
IDMf's latest spammer
Kollectiv Vizio is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

My favorite thing to do is go through all the sounds in massive, and then write something in a new pattern based on each sound. You never know which ones will inspire you to write more from it.

Or you can start with a chord progression. I try to deviate from the common I IV V I or vi IV I V progressions. try throwing in some 7th chords, or just try something new with your chords! That will inspire melodies.

and vise versa, sometimes the melody comes first, then you have to figure out what chords you want underneath.

as for writing words, that's a whole nother animal. It's taken me years to veer away from the common rhymes like - start and heart, break & take, steal & feel.

maybe try using a thesaurus to look up synonyms to words you want to say but don't know how to express.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Kollectiv Vizio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 08:47 AM   #16
Kollectiv Vizio
IDMf's latest spammer
Kollectiv Vizio is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Last week I composed a pretty good melody on which to build the rest of a new track of mine. This week, every time I opened my project from DAW and started looping the audio clip to build the track further, I've had trouble getting back to that focused state of mind, the writing mood. You know, that mood where you feel inspired and it's easy to progress with your track.

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
listen to other songs that inspire you. think of other sounds producers would use, then add your own twist to it.

don't get in the mindset, let the mindset get into you
Kollectiv Vizio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 09:47 AM   #17
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 171760
Thanked 3,435 Times in 2,563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kollectiv Vizio View Post
..don't get in the mindset, let the mindset get into you
My apologies up front, KV..not trying to belittle the worth of what you said..it's spot on..to a point. While this can work for some who are more "disciplined" or passionate about making music, unfortunately it tends not to work for most who are starting out, as they merely end up waiting for the "muse to come calling", which she rarely does..resulting in zero production of any worth.

Also keep in mind mikemath7 has no music theory to speak of at this point, so basically he's really just "starting out" in a very real sense of the term. It's usually more productive for somebody in that situation to try and "re-capture the feeling" of the last successful production session, by merely adding to what they already have..building the project as they go..one piece at a time. This way they're tapping into the same neural pathways they used before, making those connections stronger and building their creative mental muscle memory as a direct result.

In simple terms, the more they sit down and actually interact with a project, the better they become at producing over time. This also results in them developing an intuitive sense of Music Theory as a by-the-way, in turn making the subject of Music Theory more accessible to them and easier to learn.

I know this might very well read as being a little too "touchy-feely" for those who have a firm understanding of..or even a passing association with..Music Theory, but it's what works best in most cases for those who don't.

Basically, some people just would never make music if they had to learn Music Theory first, as it can be really off-putting and hard to get your head around if you aren't drawn to it to begin with.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 10:27 AM   #18
starphase
Minor Glitch
starphase will become famous soon enoughstarphase will become famous soon enough
Palo, Leyte
MC Status: 110

Quote:

I'm relatively new here, so you might not find my advice all that compelling.

Before I got onto music production, I was immersed in doing traditional art. I'm still drawing some, though not as much as I used to before.

What I learned from doing traditional art was the attitude necessary in getting your work done. There will always be that central idea that you got and will build upon, and of course, we'll sometimes struggle 'how' to build our piece upon that idea. There are some who'll really struggle to think up of anything, while others have an imagination wild enough to not have a problem about it.

Funnily enough, there are a lot of parallels in drawing and music production, though I'll only focus on a few aspects. Some of those aspects that had been handful to me was 'relevance' and 'revision'.

By relevance, I mean building upon an idea in such a way that it's a variation of it—something that's related, but unique in and itself. Most of the time the ideas may come off as boring, but you may eventually get something from there.

Another is revision. Drawing a piece and producing music take up a lot of your ideas and time. In drawing, you'll erase a lot of ideas to replace it with new ones, and the same will go with music. All I do to accomplish this is to continue to compose until I get a certain 'vibe' from it, and once I get onto that vibe, I build upon it without overusing it.

What you may need to do is just compose and compose until you get something. I've been producing since 3 years ago, and I've only really gotten into it in the past year. There's still a lot to get you motivated, and sometimes they even come unexpectedly.

Advertisements

starphase is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to starphase
A.M (15-08-2017)