[IDM, Industrial Rock, Experimental] New Hexadafi - Hexphosphorus
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 29-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
HexPhosphorus
Microknight
HexPhosphorus is a jewel in the roughHexPhosphorus is a jewel in the roughHexPhosphorus is a jewel in the rough
Chicago, Los Angeles, Madison, and Portland Oregon.
MC Status: 260
[IDM, Industrial Rock, Experimental] New Hexadafi - Hexphosphorus

This weeks project is trying to remake a few of my old ones and make them better.

Last edited by A.M; 29-06-2017 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: title fixed

Advertisements

------------------
HexPhosphorus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [IDM, Industrial Rock, Experimental] New Hexadafi - Hexphosphorus.
Old 29-06-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33060
Re: [IDM, Industrial Rock, Experimental] New Hexadafi, Hexphosphorus

Fuck, this is good. Maybe a bit repetitive, but really, really well done. Reminds me of Tackhead and similar hard dub.

I like how it has enough of the rough synths and overdistorted elements that it's obviously your work, but there's still...space. Breathing room. It's not just a wall of noise, there's a little space next to the wall and that makes it seem that much bigger.

My only suggestion would be to keep some momentum in the sounds to break up the repetition. Some effect automation on the vocal samples would be cool, for example.

Anyway, it was a great listen. Keep it up.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #3
HexPhosphorus
Microknight
HexPhosphorus is a jewel in the roughHexPhosphorus is a jewel in the roughHexPhosphorus is a jewel in the rough

This is a tough crowd (compared to my friends who just want to compliment everything, even if it sucks), so I take the compliments to heart. I also get very good constructive feedback here.

Maybe what I need is to add some entirely new voice samples and maybe just take a few of the repetitions out entirely and replace them with dynamic synth effects.

------------------
Old 29-06-2017, 09:28 PM   #4
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell

Yeah, I think there's a lot of ways to go with it. You'll just have to try some until something really sits right with you. I will say there's something kind of hypnotic about the repetition after awhile. I think that's what's giving me the dub vibe.

Check these out. Reminds me a lot of what you're going for as far as vocal samples. Might provide some inspiration or something. You'll have to excuse the terrible '80s videos....

Old 30-06-2017, 06:58 AM   #5
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39510
Re: [IDM, Industrial Rock, Experimental] New Hexadafi - Hexphosphorus

Holy shit, you're getting crazy good at this stuff. I love the interlude that breaks up the monotony at about 0:40 and again later, almost like a chorus or segue. The bridge at 1:55 is even cooler, considering most of the distorted / industrial vibes tend to drop out for a second... really nice contrast during those two parts!

My only critique would be that the cycling samples (especially during the main riffs) could either use some sort of manipulation / automation or just a larger sample soundbank to draw from. The only part I considered 'stale' at all revolved around certain samples that I felt like I must have heard 20 or so times by the time the track was over.

But yeah, this is killer, and it was a treat to listen to as well. Your brand of less-abrasive rhythmic noise is right up my alley.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 01:14 PM   #6
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25810

Typing as I am listening so bear with me a little
I have to say I am not a big fan of your lead sounds, the fm bells are usually some of my fave but they seem too thin. And the arpeggio didn't really do it for me, it was too fast and could have used more modulation in the sound or something
It seems to me the samples are too forward and the drums are too quiet. Maybe that was a stylistic choice, I don't know.
Also it feels a little too much to me, as in there isn't enough obvious variation and everything is very much in your face throughout, except the drums I guess.
Maybe try and work on 3 dimensional placement of your sounds a bit more. Using reverb and delay as well as panning.

That said I listened twice and actually like the ideas a lot, so I hope I don't sound too harsh in my critique.

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #7
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Southern Hell

I guess this is also a bad time to point out that Front 242 already used that Farrakhan sample in a very similar way. Wouldn't bother me, but just a heads up.

Old 30-06-2017, 01:27 PM   #8
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
I guess this is also a bad time to point out that Front 242 already used that Farrakhan sample in a very similar way. Wouldn't bother me, but just a heads up.

Such a good song!

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 08:54 PM   #9
HexPhosphorus
Microknight

Yes, this actually started out as a tribute to Front 242 using all of my own samples and music but making something inspired by Fundadafi. It evolved into having it's own unique sound.

Front 242 gets credit for inspiring this one.

I am not a huge fan of Farrakhan. Some things about what he stands for are cool, but I appreciate the points where Malcolm X broke with him.

It's a good voice sample though and it sounds good layered over music and beats.

------------------
Old 02-07-2017, 12:26 PM   #10
Morgen
Savage Mad Cunt
Morgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MC
Kiel at the Baltic Sea
MC Status: 51237806

Wild collage...
Can't help thinking of Front 242 throughout The sample is just so much linked to their track.

------------------
www.soundcloud.com/morgenwurde
www.soundcloud.com/coccus

My new album Assassinous Act, a soundtrack for a fictitious thriller:
http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=147294
Morgen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:44 AM   #11
HexPhosphorus
Microknight

I brought the drums up and added variations in the samples and some things that are new.

I think it sounds good but I am trying to figure out how to improve the clarity and definition of the drums and synths.

The synths are definitely cleaner without the subwoofers rumbling so hard. This is still good though.

------------------
Old 09-07-2017, 10:04 PM   #12
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Southern Hell

Yep, great improvements! It's a solid listen at this point. Samples are way more interesting. The way it sort of settles in and tones down in the middle makes the parts before and after hit a lot harder. I'm glad you walked back the brick walling, it's really opened the sound up.

I agree the drums need a bit more punch. This is pretty much just an EQ issue. You need to carve out frequency space for the synths and drums where they're not stepping on each other. A frequency or spectrum analyzer can help with that - just solo the tracks and see where they're overlapping, then do some quick EQ carving to open some space for one or the other. You can also try sidechaining some compression from the drums to the synths, just be careful not to overdo it so you don't get that weird pumping effect.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:50 PM   #13
HexPhosphorus
Microknight

o I think I am getting this dialed in after going back to this months later. I can't decide if 17a or 17b sounds better.

At this point I would rather make any last minute adjustments in a sound editor and not go back into LMMS until I make a new version for something else.

So.....A or b?
And any EQ or filter/effect/Noise-gate/removal suggestions for either one?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Old 06-09-2017, 11:55 PM   #14
HexPhosphorus
Microknight

I cleaned up and hopefully improved 17a into 17e.

Is this better?

------------------
Old 07-09-2017, 03:54 AM   #15
Tzarar
Minor Glitch
Tzarar is a jewel in the roughTzarar is a jewel in the roughTzarar is a jewel in the roughTzarar is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexPhosphorus View Post
I cleaned up and hopefully improved 17a into 17e.

Is this better?

Link doesn't appear to be working!
I rly like this track, not rly my style but I got into it!!

NewCreativity and nostalgic vibe!
Tzarar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:26 PM   #16
HexPhosphorus
Microknight

Sorry about the link.

Do you think this is ready now?

Advertisements

------------------