Any suggestion on what soundcard to buy? [Webshop link inside]
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 25-05-2017, 04:53 PM   #1
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2960
Any suggestion on what soundcard to buy? [Webshop link inside]

Hi lads,
I'm looking to buy myself a soundcard, think it would be time.
Right now I'm using motherboard soundcard. My computer is pretty strong, but my Cubase still cant turn alot of instruments and I'm sick of it. I need better audio procesing power.

I was thinking soundcard <1500 kn (that would be 200€) and here is a webshop where I would buy a soundcard. It's in kn currency.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Any suggestions on what to buy? These are all USB soundcards in a link I posted.

Advertisements

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
soundmodel
Analog Lurker
soundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant future
Finland
MC Status: 1710
Re: Any suggestion on what soundcard to buy? [Webshop link inside]

How many channels of I/O you need? Do you need MIDI? Do you need microphone preamps?

I've found the Roland "Capture" series to be very good value. I've used Apogee and RME units previously, but I see no point paying that much money anymore for home use at least.

But seems that Roland has also come up with some new models like the Rubix and UAs.

Particularly I'd probably take the Rubix22 over Duo-Capture EX, because it has separate volume knobs for phones and outputs.

Last edited by soundmodel; 25-05-2017 at 05:03 PM..
soundmodel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to soundmodel
Mario D (25-05-2017)
Old 25-05-2017, 05:10 PM   #3
soundmodel
Analog Lurker
soundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant future
Finland

If you can manage with just output, then I noticed that there seems to be a very good 70% off deal on the Roland mobile UA-M10 in at least some country stores of Thomann:

thomann.de/gb/roland_mobile_ua_m10.htm
Old 25-05-2017, 05:11 PM   #4
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmodel View Post
How many channels of I/O you need? Do you need MIDI? Do you need microphone preamps?

I've found the Roland "Capture" series to be very good value. I've used Apogee and RME units previously, but I see no point paying that much money anymore for home use at least.

But seems that Roland has also come up with some new models like the Rubix and UAs.

Particularly I'd probably take the Rubix22 over Duo-Capture EX, because it has separate volume knobs for phones and outputs.
I have monitors, headphones, PC and synthisizer that already goes into pc with USB. Right now that is all I have.

------------------
Old 25-05-2017, 11:39 PM   #5
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181060
Thanked 3,621 Times in 2,700 Posts

I agree with what soundmodel said, even though I have an [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
internal card installed in my studio PC. I know it's a little over what you want to pay..and it's an internal card..but it would give you slightly better latency than, say, the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
..which, obviously, is an external audio interface.

That said, if you really have to stick to the budget you mentioned, then the Roland UA-55 Quad-Capture is a pretty solid unit that a lot of people seem to be very happy using.

One thing I should mention is that upgrading your soundcard..be that an internal or external one, doesn't automatically mean you will be able to run more instruments in your DAW..just that the sound quality of your recordings will or should be better than what you're currently getting from your built-in card that came with your computer.

If you're having issues running instruments, then you might want to look into getting more RAM for you system instead, as it's the RAM that determines how many instruments you can use at the same time in any session of your DAW.

Basically, [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #6
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
I agree with what soundmodel said, even though I have an [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
internal card installed in my studio PC. I know it's a little over what you want to pay..and it's an internal card..but it would give you slightly better latency than, say, the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
..which, obviously, is an external audio interface.

That said, if you really have to stick to the budget you mentioned, then the Roland UA-55 Quad-Capture is a pretty solid unit that a lot of people seem to be very happy using.

One thing I should mention is that upgrading your soundcard..be that an internal or external one, doesn't automatically mean you will be able to run more instruments in your DAW..just that the sound quality of your recordings will or should be better than what you're currently getting from your built-in card that came with your computer.

If you're having issues running instruments, then you might want to look into getting more RAM for you system instead, as it's the RAM that determines how many instruments you can use at the same time in any session of your DAW.

Basically, [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
My PC utilisation (task menager) when my Cubase starts to fail to reproduce to much insturments, is on 30%, ram 30% procesor around same level.
I do have 16 gb of ram, 6*4.6 ghz amd procesor.

edit:
Also, I did some research on this Roland UA-55 card you guys are suggesting me. I can't help to notice this card is really good for an input devices, as well as the casual output afcorse. But I can't help but to think this card is more for someone who would like to record microphone, guitar, midi keyboards etc. I dont' have any of that.
I do see some babies and pretty good looking soundcards around 2500 kn (400), especially some compatible with cubase. You can change Cubase mixer itself with them etc. I could fancy those.

Last edited by Mario D; 26-05-2017 at 02:35 PM..

------------------
Old 26-05-2017, 05:01 PM   #7
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181060
Thanked 3,621 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario D View Post
My PC utilisation (task menager) when my Cubase starts to fail to reproduce to much insturments, is on 30%, ram 30% procesor around same level.
I do have 16 gb of ram, 6*4.6 ghz amd procesor.

edit:
Also, I did some research on this Roland UA-55 card you guys are suggesting me. I can't help to notice this card is really good for an input devices, as well as the casual output afcorse. But I can't help but to think this card is more for someone who would like to record microphone, guitar, midi keyboards etc. I dont' have any of that.
I do see some babies and pretty good looking soundcards around 2500 kn (400), especially some compatible with cubase. You can change Cubase mixer itself with them etc. I could fancy those.
If it's neither RAM or CPU, then have you tried adjusting the buffer size setting for your current soundcard? I know this is maybe a bit obvious, but some people don't think about this. A wrongly set buffer size will give you all sorts of issues, including "pops and clicks" when trying to use multi VSTs at once in a session.

Also, what audio driver are you using? If you're using the one that came with your built-in soundcard, then try downloading [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and try using that instead, if you haven't tried it already. Have a mess with the buffer settings and that might well be all you need to do, saving yourself a good bit of cash.

In short, I['d only think about getting a new card only after trying all the other options. Then I'd be prepared to go with one of the ones you mentioned..around the 400 mark, as it really is a case of "you get what you pay for".

Keep us updated on how things go for you.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
jVs (12-06-2017)
Old 26-05-2017, 05:45 PM   #8
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
If it's neither RAM or CPU, then have you tried adjusting the buffer size setting for your current soundcard? I know this is maybe a bit obvious, but some people don't think about this. A wrongly set buffer size will give you all sorts of issues, including "pops and clicks" when trying to use multi VSTs at once in a session.

Also, what audio driver are you using? If you're using the one that came with your built-in soundcard, then try downloading [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and try using that instead, if you haven't tried it already. Have a mess with the buffer settings and that might well be all you need to do, saving yourself a good bit of cash.

In short, I['d only think about getting a new card only after trying all the other options. Then I'd be prepared to go with one of the ones you mentioned..around the €400 mark, as it really is a case of "you get what you pay for".

Keep us updated on how things go for you.
When I change audio buffering size it does help, but not ultra much, i still have problems with sound procesing. That's one of the reasons why I think it's about my soundcard.
Basicly at 10ms buffering I play my synthisizer when I am looking for chords. And when I built up track I set it to around 50+ buffering while I dont need synth that much. Finished track goes with 200ms buffering if memory serves me right.

------------------
Old 28-05-2017, 07:42 AM   #9
soundmodel
Analog Lurker
Finland

There are also few interesting audio interfaces from a company called Audient.
I don't know how they perform, but they look nice and seem to be good value.

audient.com/products/
Thanks to soundmodel
A.M (28-05-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 11:14 AM   #10
soundmodel
Analog Lurker
Finland

I can recommend the new Roland Mobile UA, if you merely need headphone/stereo lineout.
I find the sound quality to be flawless, it gives good enough latencies and the design is nice.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:28 PM   #11
soundmodel
Analog Lurker
Finland

Quote:
I can recommend the new Roland Mobile UA, if you merely need headphone/stereo lineout.
I find the sound quality to be flawless, it gives good enough latencies and the design is nice.
It can go as low as 32 samples and 2 ms in and out latency, although the control panel says that this has "reduced stability". I can hear some crackles when running something bigger.

On the other hand, 48 samples seems crackle-free.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #12
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Croatia

Quote:
It can go as low as 32 samples and 2 ms in and out latency, although the control panel says that this has "reduced stability". I can hear some crackles when running something bigger.

On the other hand, 48 samples seems crackle-free.
From what I've googled so far,
Steinberg UR22 MK2

Has the most positive reviews on the net what I can find and is the most popular one. For that price.

------------------
Old 02-06-2017, 04:23 PM   #13
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538330
Thanked 6,948 Times in 4,942 Posts

Buy a MOTU. Youll pass it on to your grandchildren. I am running an old MOTU 828 mkii and I cant imagine a new interface performing better.

Not that there arent inexpensive sleeper products in audio...but you pretty much get what you pay for. I dunno. It comes off as snobby but I spent as much money on a series of cheap interfaces as I did on the MOTU.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:35 PM   #14
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
.but you pretty much get what you pay for. I dunno. It comes off as snobby but I spent as much money on a series of cheap interfaces as I did on the MOTU.
Biggest question is, what exactly do I want to get. I just wanna cleanest sound, without to many input output channels coz Ill probably never use them. Im a simple guy and not taking music super serious, just a little hobby i enjoy.

------------------
Thanks to Mario D
relic (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 05:49 PM   #15
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario D View Post
Biggest question is, what exactly do I want to get. I just wanna cleanest sound, without to many input output channels coz Ill probably never use them. Im a simple guy and not taking music super serious, just a little hobby i enjoy.
Yea. If you aren't looking for options heavy, just clean signal that is good--you can get way more clean signal for your money that way. I think I would still recommend something like that from MOTU or maybe RME.

I'd take a look at maybe the MOTU MicroBook. Not read any reviews recently, but considered it for my iPad. I mean when you can get a MOTU for 250 USD...why buy anything else (IMHO etc etc)?

------------------
Old 02-06-2017, 06:06 PM   #16
soundmodel
Analog Lurker
Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Buy a MOTU. Youll pass it on to your grandchildren. I am running an old MOTU 828 mkii and I cant imagine a new interface performing better.

Not that there arent inexpensive sleeper products in audio...but you pretty much get what you pay for. I dunno. It comes off as snobby but I spent as much money on a series of cheap interfaces as I did on the MOTU.
MOTU used to not be reliable for cross-platform operation since the company used to be focused only the Apple Mac platform. And pretty much still is, even though they started supporting Windows as well. But Windows development is clearly secondary interest to their Mac development.

A better alternative for MOTU, unless one uses only macs, would be RME. RME interfaces are really good quality, but they are too expensive for most consumers. I'd consider them prosumer gear, since they're mostly used by professionals working in audio, not that much home musicians, even though their newer products such as Babyface are suited for this kind of task as well. But at 700 euros it's still pretty expensive for most home musicians.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:57 PM   #17
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
MOTU used to not be reliable for cross-platform operation since the company used to be focused only the Apple Mac platform. And pretty much still is, even though they started supporting Windows as well. But Windows development is clearly secondary interest to their Mac development.

A better alternative for MOTU, unless one uses only macs, would be RME. RME interfaces are really good quality, but they are too expensive for most consumers. I'd consider them prosumer gear, since they're mostly used by professionals working in audio, not that much home musicians, even though their newer products such as Babyface are suited for this kind of task as well. But at 700 euros it's still pretty expensive for most home musicians.
Yea. Everyone says that, except I've run had no issues running MOTU products XP-Win 10 and I'm far from a computer genius. Certainly worth mentioning and I often forget bc fanboy

------------------
Old 02-06-2017, 08:36 PM   #18
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33060

Been using MOTU on Windows for ten years with no problems. Never had a driver issue in all that time. Latency isn't the best but it's totally usable, and a sight better than the really cheap interfaces.

My experience with RME is they have decent clock/converters, incredible drivers with awesome latency and really mediocre preamps.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:58 AM   #19
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Croatia

Bought Focusrite 2i2 second generation.
It's alright!
Don't feel much of an advantage while producing to be honest.

------------------
Thanks to Mario D
A.M (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #20
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317639

Just throwing this out there, I've had my 8 channel for going on 2 years now and it has been a proper answer to any issue that would have or could arise. What I really like about it is that if you get to the point you need moar channels, an RCA split will conjoin two units as one. Good luck man and let us know how the story unfolds.

Advertisements

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote