Bvdub fans - yr fav albums/songs?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:38 PM   #1
Ṣalim
Minor Glitch
Ṣalim will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Bvdub fans - yr fav albums/songs?

My favorite albums:
All is Forgiven
I Remember
Return to Tonglu

Advertisements

Ṣalim is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:22 AM   #2
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 113760
Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,324 Posts
Re: Bvdub fans - yr fav albums/songs?

used to like this guy back in 2009 until all tracks started to sound the same and just bore me to death, I like repetitive drones though. White Clouds Drift On And On and We Were The Sun for me.

i cant find Forever a Stranger on youtube, that's my favourite Bvdub's track. I think.

Last edited by ms_; 12-06-2015 at 06:28 AM..

------------------
ms_ is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
Orchidaceae (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 10:10 AM   #3
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp
Orchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MC
MC Status: 65294296

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
all tracks started to sound the same and just bore me to death...
Same here.

If I have to pick 2 favorite albums, I guess I would go with 'All is Forgiven' and his album under the Earth House Hold moniker, 'When Love Lived'.
Orchidaceae is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:08 PM   #4
Ṣalim
Minor Glitch

Quote:
used to like this guy back in 2009 until all tracks started to sound the same and just bore me to death, I like repetitive drones though.
I can see that. Especially Serenity, I can only remember a few things. Other than that one, I like most of his work. It's very emotional and ethereal.
Old 13-06-2015, 06:24 AM   #5
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 113760
Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,324 Posts

another reason might be that he started doing around 4-6 new releases every year and I just got lost and over-flooded with new bvdub material (weird complain, isn't it?). It's just quantity over quality for me. Yes, his stuff is very melodic, emotional and peaceful, I used to dig that a lot and some tracks are still very good. From what I remember his tracks are based on same loops that play over and over again until another loop comes in, and then another. Most of tracks are ruined by vocal samples, single lines or some southeast asian voice phrases that repeat with a delay effect for over 10 minutes. In every track. Sometimes it works, most of times it doesn't. Some releases I can't enjoy because of terrible mixing (see his first LP when he was doing dub techno, but that's alright because it's a first album anyway). I like individual tracks but can't stand his full albums.

I've checked his newest stuff and it seems he got back to beat-oriented chillout-whatever ambient pop. He should use less vocal samples, they ruin everything imo.

...and he should stop with these cliche track titles about how sad he is!

Last edited by ms_; 13-06-2015 at 06:30 AM..

------------------
ms_ is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 07:35 AM   #6
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39280899
Thanked 1,167 Times in 750 Posts

I actually really liked last year's "I'll Only Break Your Heart", but I will definitely agree that his stuff is really samey and hard to sit down with for too long.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 02:23 AM   #7
Ṣalim
Minor Glitch

Quote:
another reason might be that he started doing around 4-6 new releases every year and I just got lost and over-flooded with new bvdub material (weird complain, isn't it?). It's just quantity over quality for me. Yes, his stuff is very melodic, emotional and peaceful, I used to dig that a lot and some tracks are still very good. From what I remember his tracks are based on same loops that play over and over again until another loop comes in, and then another. Most of tracks are ruined by vocal samples, single lines or some southeast asian voice phrases that repeat with a delay effect for over 10 minutes. In every track. Sometimes it works, most of times it doesn't. Some releases I can't enjoy because of terrible mixing (see his first LP when he was doing dub techno, but that's alright because it's a first album anyway). I like individual tracks but can't stand his full albums.

I've checked his newest stuff and it seems he got back to beat-oriented chillout-whatever ambient pop. He should use less vocal samples, they ruin everything imo.
Yeah. I CAN REALLY SEE that (though i'm a fanatic for the guy).

One weird thing is that he makes hour long songs yet he's perfectly capable of making short songs. His latest album A Step Into the Dark has a song that only goes for 2 minutes.

About the vocal samples, same for me. They work sometimes, they don't work sometimes. In the track All is Forgiven it's fine, but in stuff like We Love Together, he adds lyrics and there is almost no consistency.

That's enough criticism from me. Anyhow, based on what you said, try his album Return to Tonglu. That one is more stripped down with the vocals and if there is any, it just appears once in a while.
boomkat(dot)com/cds/136279-bvdub-return-to-tonglu

Last edited by Ṣalim; 14-06-2015 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: said something that sounded bad, didn't mean it like that though. lol
Old 13-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #8
ModernRitual
Minor Glitch
ModernRitual will become famous soon enoughModernRitual will become famous soon enough
Lyon
MC Status: 110

That's true they are very good tracks and others seems little more boring but i like that's sometimes tracks are long cause they bring you on a full univers. With the progression and the evolve of tracks it's make you feel better the message behind it. Maybe they aren't but this my my way to feel his music.

For exemple this one is not the longest one but still bring me in an amzing fantastic musical landscape.

Advertisements

ModernRitual is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote