Beginner to percussion - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 18-10-2013, 03:11 AM   #21
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644318
Thanked 4,901 Times in 3,161 Posts
Re: Beginner to percussion

I listened.

I wouldn't rave to it primarily because I don't really rave to anything, bit that's another story.

Anyway...

The advice you took was to make something that's not the same samey same stuff as all the "big names" and everyone else. Doesn't seem like you're doing anything all that different than what I imagine you were doing prior to "taking the advice."

If I were you I'd start by dropping that lead and the 4x4 kick then work forward from there.

Advertisements

------------------
------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 03:33 AM   #22
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
c-audio's basement, apparently.
MC Status: 31660

synthwell: please please please do yourself a favor and look up the definition of idm and look at the artists that exemplify the genre.

i don't think this is really the place to rave about drops, hardwell and archetypal edm.
i'm trying to be nice here, but the edm that you seem to worship dumbs down most conversations. it treats music as something functional rather than as art. it rarely questions structures, and it tends to work with a very defined and limited palette of sounds.

the world doesn't need any more hardwells, skrillexes or aviciices.

------------------
g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to g0lem
RFJ (18-10-2013)
Old 24-10-2013, 02:32 AM   #23
Rybe
Minor Glitch
Rybe has a spectacular aura aboutRybe has a spectacular aura about
Chicago
MC Status: 160

I can see the sound you're trying to get there. You need to put some knocks behind the main synth. Try getting a drum sample, lower the sustain and then tweek the decay until you get a knocking sound. A lot of those electro house drops are nothing more than a subby kick (which you have) and a synth with a percussive element backing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthwell View Post
I've taken your advice and have been in the studio last night. I managed to make this drop but I just wanted to know if you would rave to it? I'd love some feedback.

Thanks

Rybe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 02:33 AM   #24
Rybe
Minor Glitch
Rybe has a spectacular aura aboutRybe has a spectacular aura about
Chicago
MC Status: 160

But after you read my post please re-read his and take it to heart. The drop is not all that its cracked up to be, shit gets old real fucking fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0lem View Post
synthwell: please please please do yourself a favor and look up the definition of idm and look at the artists that exemplify the genre.

i don't think this is really the place to rave about drops, hardwell and archetypal edm.
i'm trying to be nice here, but the edm that you seem to worship dumbs down most conversations. it treats music as something functional rather than as art. it rarely questions structures, and it tends to work with a very defined and limited palette of sounds.

Rybe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #25
Pelao
Granular Poster
Pelao is a glorious beacon of lightPelao is a glorious beacon of lightPelao is a glorious beacon of lightPelao is a glorious beacon of lightPelao is a glorious beacon of light
Maryland
MC Status: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0lem View Post

^ Truth.

I found that once you get past the point of drops/builds, then you can really start working on true composition. Even if you make music with the intent of getting played out by DJ's you can still make it truly unique, and that starts with eliminating the notion that people want to be forcibly built up. Good music will naturally have the builds and drops; including these artificial ones in a track dumbs down the experience because it assumes that the general audience requires indicators in regards to the structure of the music (like the applause sign in a live audience show. A good show doesn't need to tell people to laugh or clap or sigh or whatever)
Pelao is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #26
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
c-audio's basement, apparently.
MC Status: 31660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelao View Post
^ Truth.

I found that once you get past the point of drops/builds, then you can really start working on true composition. Even if you make music with the intent of getting played out by DJ's you can still make it truly unique, and that starts with eliminating the notion that people want to be forcibly built up. Good music will naturally have the builds and drops; including these artificial ones in a track dumbs down the experience because it assumes that the general audience requires indicators in regards to the structure of the music (like the applause sign in a live audience show. A good show doesn't need to tell people to laugh or clap or sigh or whatever)
i actually disagree with a lot of what you said there.
every single experimental drone (real drone, not the modulated techno trash you hear all over our listening booth that still gets a "drone" label) lacks a build it, and things like radere's body of work, and pieces like devin maxwell's ph4 are very good countercases to the argument something akin to a pentapartite structure of intro rise build drop exit is inherent to good music, or that even that even the build phase is a requirement.

(look mah, i didn't drop throbbing gristle as an example. i'm a big kid naaaaao.)

------------------
g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #27
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644318
Thanked 4,901 Times in 3,161 Posts

^Yes but there is a clear cut difference in tension and release and build ups and drops.

Nothing wrong with a little tension...

And release.

Advertisements

------------------
------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
g0lem (27-10-2013)