those off sounding chords in garage and jungle tunes
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:21 AM   #1
henryspencer
Digital Surfer
henryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MC
MC Status: 2983763
those off sounding chords in garage and jungle tunes

I keep hearing these chords in jungle and garage tunes like machinedrum and disclosure that have this off or dissonant sound and are jazzy in a way. Are these reflective of these artists great knowledge in theory or are they doing something else like tuning the oscelators on a 3 osc synth differently? Any help here on how I can make these or learn how to add these into my arsenal would be great!
Heres examples:

(heard especially in the middle section 2:10)

Advertisements

henryspencer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776
Re: those off sounding chords in garage and jungle tunes

In garage and jungle it's also a distinct possibility that they sampled them from somewhere else. A lot of times chords in those types of songs are sampled and the repitching is what gives them an "off"sounding quality. Not sure if that's the case here, but it's something to consider.
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45947981
Thanked 5,796 Times in 3,640 Posts

That's basically the same tape effect that BoC uses to make the sounds detune a bit.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
mister_crow
Soundwave Mangler
mister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond repute
A tree in Verulamium
MC Status: 2210

I don't think the chords sound like anything too fancy, jazzy maybe, but nothing an amateur couldn't stumble on with a few fingers. Most modern synths have a few knobs that will make stuff sound weird like that (introduce non-harmonic tones in varying amounts.) I'm only really familiar with FL stuff, but look for unison settings, detune, grittiness, prism etc.

------------------
Learn! About the lizard men controlling our lives! Hear! Some music I made! See! A waveform steadily becoming a slightly different grey! Coming to a forum post near you soon.
https://soundcloud.com/mister_crow/entities-wip
http://mistercrow.bandcamp.com/album/to-ep
mister_crow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59510
Thanked 1,190 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinoid View Post
A lot of times chords in those types of songs are sampled and the repitching is what gives them an "off"sounding quality.
In the first track at least it sounds like this was done... (can't listen to the second one in Germany because of copyright shit). If you sample a chord, put it into a sampler and play it at different pitches you can get this effect because you are basically moving the chord shape around into places where it doesn't really belong harmonically...

Example: You take a major chord and plav it with it's root as all of the notes i na chosen key (let's the key is say C major). So lets say you sample a simple major triad (C major in this case). As soon as you repitch it to D, E or A you are playing a major chord where you should be playing a minor chord (if you are going to stay within the key) so this will sound weird a bit off...

So by simply moving chord shapes around you will get off key sounds...

If anyone with a better music theory knowledge disagrees feel free to correct me or explain it better

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 15460

^ well if you never actually install a key it's more of a key change than a offkey moment imo. But it does challenge the "standard harmony".

I listened to the tunes and didn't find anything dissonant or anything ...I'd say it's more in the detuned oscillators (ever so slightly) than the chord.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
henryspencer
Digital Surfer
henryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MC

Thanks folks. The thing I. Hearing here is that these are not just basic triad maj or min chords there's other noted added in and I do t know what these chords . Are they 7 th 9 th or suspended gords by chance?
Thanks to henryspencer
hotwatermusic (04-09-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
redeyeglasses
Ghostly
redeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MCredeyeglasses is a savage MC
Iowa
MC Status: 12331

For this effect people use minor 7ths a lot. Definitely try other stuff too though

------------------
i am nothing more or less than my own big ass
redeyeglasses is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #9
frajen
Analog Lurker
frajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud of
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 1379

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryspencer View Post
Thanks folks. The thing I. Hearing here is that these are not just basic triad maj or min chords there's other noted added in and I do t know what these chords . Are they 7 th 9 th or suspended gords by chance?
I'm not at a piano so this might not be right

At the core, Boiling sounds like:
F#m | C#m | B
synth melody goes from F# to E to F# and sometimes there's an A there
I am not good at discerning individual synth notes but it may be more like
F#m7 | C#m7 (or maybe some Amaj7) | Bmaj7

I haven't heard Eyesdontlie before but at a quick listen it sounds like (middle section with the piano/vocal synth)
C | Am7 | Eb | Bb | Cm7 | G | Eb | Bb

You might be able to get away with a maj7 or 9 or #11 in that Eb
or a maj7 in the Bb

As far as off-sounding goes I think that has more to do with the instrumentation (synths) than the notes. I guess it might depend on how you define off-sounding.

The swells in Boiling sound like extended attacks to me, maybe a low pass filter upwards sweep, I'm probably oversimplifying it though. I think the vocal "aaah" sound in Eyesdontlie is worth listening to again, it's a very rich sound

Last edited by frajen; 04-09-2013 at 12:50 AM..
frajen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to frajen
henryspencer (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 03:20 AM   #10
henryspencer
Digital Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frajen View Post
I'm not at a piano so this might not be right

At the core, Boiling sounds like:
F#m | C#m | B
synth melody goes from F# to E to F# and sometimes there's an A there
I am not good at discerning individual synth notes but it may be more like
F#m7 | C#m7 (or maybe some Amaj7) | Bmaj7

I haven't heard Eyesdontlie before but at a quick listen it sounds like (middle section with the piano/vocal synth)
C | Am7 | Eb | Bb | Cm7 | G | Eb | Bb

You might be able to get away with a maj7 or 9 or #11 in that Eb
or a maj7 in the Bb

As far as off-sounding goes I think that has more to do with the instrumentation (synths) than the notes. I guess it might depend on how you define off-sounding.

The swells in Boiling sound like extended attacks to me, maybe a low pass filter upwards sweep, I'm probably oversimplifying it though. I think the vocal "aaah" sound in Eyesdontlie is worth listening to again, it's a very rich sound
You have a great ear to figure that out and not be at a piano? Howd you do that?

Also what key would eyesdont lie be in then if you dont mind?

Thanks again
Old 04-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #11
frajen
Analog Lurker
frajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud of
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 1379

I have ableton running on my laptop so I can "play" a piano by using home row keys plus a few more (on a MIDI channel). But it's not like actually playing a piano, and it's hard to play more than like 2 or 3 notes at a time

During that section I wouldn't think of eyesdontlie as being in a key. If I had to answer it would be between C major and Bb major.

But from a soloist perspective I might group the bars like

C | Am7 |
C major/A minor notes (white keys), tendency towards Cmaj7 and Am11

Eb | Bb
C Dorian (Bb major)

Cm7 |
Bb major or Ab major (C natural minor)

G |
G7 (Mixolydian if you like) or G7 augmented

Eb |
C (natural) minor or C Dorian. The inclusion of the A can lead into the Bb easier

Bb |
Bb major (I would probably use Bb maj7 as it goes well into Cmaj7)

cheers
frajen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to frajen
henryspencer (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #12
henryspencer
Digital Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frajen View Post
I have ableton running on my laptop so I can "play" a piano by using home row keys plus a few more (on a MIDI channel). But it's not like actually playing a piano, and it's hard to play more than like 2 or 3 notes at a time

During that section I wouldn't think of eyesdontlie as being in a key. If I had to answer it would be between C major and Bb major.

But from a soloist perspective I might group the bars like

C | Am7 |
C major/A minor notes (white keys), tendency towards Cmaj7 and Am11

Eb | Bb
C Dorian (Bb major)

Cm7 |
Bb major or Ab major (C natural minor)

G |
G7 (Mixolydian if you like) or G7 augmented

Eb |
C (natural) minor or C Dorian. The inclusion of the A can lead into the Bb easier

Bb |
Bb major (I would probably use Bb maj7 as it goes well into Cmaj7)

cheers

Thanks but this is really touching on a problem I have been having as can be seen on numerous threads I have started

Allot of these chords progressions I am loving such as this are not in a "key" per say, boards of canada does this allot also. Yet they work so well. The chords here in eyesdontlie seem to work well and yet do not sound like typical chords progression which are often the 1st 7th and 6ths chords in a key (very common in most pop and electronic stuff). So, I must ask, how does one go about writing a chords progression like this? Do you basically just mash around keys until it sounds good or are there any basic rules related to scales or keys one could follow?

Thanks again
Old 05-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #13
hotwatermusic
Master of the LFO
hotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2460

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryspencer View Post
Thanks but this is really touching on a problem I have been having as can be seen on numerous threads I have started

Allot of these chords progressions I am loving such as this are not in a "key" per say, boards of canada does this allot also. Yet they work so well. The chords here in eyesdontlie seem to work well and yet do not sound like typical chords progression which are often the 1st 7th and 6ths chords in a key (very common in most pop and electronic stuff). So, I must ask, how does one go about writing a chords progression like this? Do you basically just mash around keys until it sounds good or are there any basic rules related to scales or keys one could follow?

Thanks again
Take a reading on borrowed chords. A borrowed chord is taken from a parallel key. But fact is most musicians do it without knowing the theory of borrowed chords, actually it may not even be a borrowed chord. Just play what fits, you may interpret as a key change or whatever. If it sounds good it does.
hotwatermusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #14
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist
Dataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MC
MC Status: 47764252

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwatermusic View Post
Take a reading on borrowed chords. A borrowed chord is taken from a parallel key. But fact is most musicians do it without knowing the theory of borrowed chords, actually it may not even be a borrowed chord. Just play what fits, you may interpret as a key change or whatever. If it sounds good it does.
Right.

Borrowed chords, or mode mixture, can be a great way to surprise listeners by playing with their expectation.

Also tonicization (sp?) and modulations can be great for setting up transitions/new sections ideas.

So yes there are a "rules", but it gets pretty deep once you start talkinga bout chromatic harmony.

------------------
Dataf1ow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 04:33 AM   #15
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
NJ
MC Status: 91357173

music is terrible..

yes I believe it is a 3 osc synth with one neutral note and the others pitched up or down to play a chord. There are a lot of vsti-synths with presets set to this by default..

------------------
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 04:37 AM   #16
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer
Deep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MC
MC Status: 17684455

Its a lot less complicated than most people think. Its called chord planning, or parallel harmony. Take 5 minutes and read this article/ watch the video and realize how much you have been over thinking it!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

Deep Dose is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote