Music Theory Question
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
discodance
Regular Freak
discodance is currently spamming hard
Melbourne
MC Status: 10
Music Theory Question

I don't have a musical background and as a result I have zero knowledge of any musical theory. So my question is, do bass lines and melodies stick to a scale. I've noticed when I mess around in the piano roll it can take me ages to hit a harmonic note and I'm wondering if it's due to my ignorance. I've been told you don't need to learn any theory to produce electronic music, however I'm starting to believe that isn't the best advice.

Advertisements

discodance is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts
Re: Music Theory Question

You don't need any theory to produce electronic music...

But that doesn't mean that it wouldn't help you a ton.

We live in the information age, take advantage of it!
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389998
Thanked 2,831 Times in 1,764 Posts

Yes, you usually want to stick to scale. Otherwise it can sound really weird. But one doesn't have to stick to scale.

Some even stick to root note of the chord that is being played, but that's not necessary if you know some theory. Then you are free to move around the scale as you see fit (i.e walking bass).

Yes, music theory usually helps if you have no music theory in the first place.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
jasondasilva
Granular Poster
jasondasilva will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Whilst its true you do not need to learn music theory in order to produce music (not just Electronic), I believe it is wise to do so if your going to spend alot of time making music.

Furthermore to answer your original question yes it would be best to stay in a scale with the bassline and melody, but remember there are lots of different scales! If you can't be arsed to learn Music Thoery then google a certain scale like "A Minor" then look at the notes you can play and play around with them till your happy.

hope that helps.
jasondasilva is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
avantagonist
avantagonist is a savage MCavantagonist is a savage MCavantagonist is a savage MCavantagonist is a savage MCavantagonist is a savage MCavantagonist is a savage MCavantagonist is a savage MCavantagonist is a savage MCavantagonist is a savage MCavantagonist is a savage MCavantagonist is a savage MC
Miami
MC Status: 58054

Just sayin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsweeper View Post
You don't need any theory to produce music...
avantagonist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

Just sayin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsweeper View Post
But that doesn't mean that it wouldn't help you a ton.
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discodance View Post
I don't have a musical background and as a result I have zero knowledge of any musical theory. So my question is, do bass lines and melodies stick to a scale. I've noticed when I mess around in the piano roll it can take me ages to hit a harmonic note and I'm wondering if it's due to my ignorance. I've been told you don't need to learn any theory to produce electronic music, however I'm starting to believe that isn't the best advice.
You can come up to speed real quick just doing a quick internet search on scales and harmony. I'm going to quote the annoyingly overused quote- learn the rules so you can break them.

Harmony is really quite easy if you know scales/chords. As you learn you will develop your ear and you won't need to get so bogged down in theory details.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:43 AM   #8
discodance
Regular Freak
Melbourne

I've had a quick glance at this and it's all too overwhelming and I'm not sure whats necessary. Could you guys give me an idea of what I should be learning.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:45 AM   #9
discodance
Regular Freak
Melbourne

Quote:
I've had a quick glance at this and it's all too overwhelming and I'm not sure whats necessary. Could you guys give me an idea of what I should be learning.
teoria.com woops haha
Old 02-08-2013, 04:47 AM   #10
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45945781
Thanked 5,752 Times in 3,615 Posts

Stick to learning simple things like chords, to start. Buy a chord book for piano, or find some chord charts or videos/DVDs and work on that for a while. Scales are going to come naturally once the chords are in your brain.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:11 AM   #11
tpecs
Missy Elliott
tpecs has a spectacular aura abouttpecs has a spectacular aura about
Batman
MC Status: 160

This helped me oodles... its got enough to help you, but not too much to confuse you.. Enjoy! also he is quite funny!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

(P.S. Its the Raven Spiral Guide to Music Theory!)

------------------
Go to school... do your home work... READ THE BOOK

tpecs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

Quote:
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, but is a large part of understanding scales and chords is intervals (the ratio between pitches, or more simply, the distance between two notes on a keyboard) and their melodic/harmonic relationships. I mean, even if you know your major and minor scales, if you don't understand what intervals are consonant or dissonant, you're still going to struggle to build an effective melody.

Last edited by penguinoid; 02-08-2013 at 04:38 PM..
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
manducator
manducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MCmanducator is a savage MC
MC Status: 251895

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpecs View Post
This helped me oodles... its got enough to help you, but not too much to confuse you.. Enjoy! also he is quite funny!

(P.S. Its the Raven Spiral Guide to Music Theory!)
Whoah, that's an old version!

Look for the hotlinks in the first post of this topic for the most recent version (0.8.1):

manducator is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin

It's not somewthing you learn in a week or a month, it takes a lifetime and then some to master this kind of thing. Dont expect to be a shredder on the piano by Xmas bro. It isnt gonna happen.

------------------
brumski
Old 03-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #15
CocaineAudio
Soundscaper
CocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud of
Newark, New Jersey
MC Status: 1010

Quote:
you really don't put it could help... just pay attention to what you hear.. if it's good and in key it's good.. if it's not its not..

------------------
Follow Me On Twitter: @SluRty
SlurRty Memories (Original Mix) *Released 6-18-14* =
CocaineAudio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #16
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocaineAudio View Post
you really don't put it could help... just pay attention to what you hear.. if it's good and in key it's good.. if it's not its not..
Like the vocals in your sig?

jk.

------------------
Old 04-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #17
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
jk.
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #18
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Austin

Oh, snap!

------------------
brumski
Old 04-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #19
Evelon
IDMf Artist

LolSnapWhatHaveIDone.

Now I wanna see Liar, Liar again.

------------------
Thanks to Evelon
Numerical (04-08-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #20
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4310

I'm not going to lie I think I would be overwhelmed like OP if I had no natural talent in music when it comes to knowing scales, chords, staying in key etc.

Good news is if you have a sense of RHYTHM it might help your music theory along the way.

Advertisements

------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote