It's Just Intonation
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 25-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #1
music producer
Granular Poster
music producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond repute
Central Indiana, USA
MC Status: 2925
It's Just Intonation

Played sessions the last 3 days for Hal Leonard Publishing out of Milwaukee. Yeah, I know publishing company recording can be less than exciting - but these are always very creative. It's their "Essential Elements" series that is used to help kids learn to play instruments by playing along with 'songs' (most of them 8-16 bars long) in a wide variety of styles, so we're called on to mock-up every style under the sun, and then some.

As we were recording something in the bluegrass or country vein yesterday, I was amused upon hearing the guitarist tuning the dobro with just intonation... it sort of bends your ear if you're sensitive to pitch but not used to alternate tunings. Of course singers do all kinds of harmonizing that isn't equal tempered, but it doesn't sound quite as strange as when an instrument is tuned using just intonation.

Advertisements

------------------
music producer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: small plane dive-bombing the fields and spraying chemicals
Old 25-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Slump
Analog Lurker
Slump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to behold
Sacramento, California
MC Status: 663
Re: It's Just Intonation

Just intonation is really interesting because 'just intonation' itself isn't a definite tuning system, but rather an approach to tuning. The same goes for equal temperament; when people say the phrase 'equal temperment' they mean 12 tone equal temperament which is the standard, but there is no standard 'just intonation' that I can think of. The only just intonation i've really experimented with is via a stack of thirds and via a stack of fifths. It's so hard to compose in just intonation, but the process is much more exciting and fulfilling IMO

Anyways, with regards to your main point, it is really odd and quite funny when you really think about it. Just Intonation is pure harmony, mathematically speaking, but since our ears are used to equal temperament by the constant bombarding of it (which is deduced using the root of two) we've come to accept the 'out of tune' [mathmatically speaking] 12TET as in tune and just intonation as out of tune. My mind blew when I learnt that.

------------------
Slump is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
music producer
Granular Poster
music producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond reputemusic producer has a reputation beyond repute
Central Indiana, USA

The open strings on the dobro were tuned to a major chord, and the 3rd was quite a bit south of an equal tempered 3rd. Interesting sound, and seemed to work for his ideas on that particular tune. Of course we're cranking out 5 tunes/hour, so there's no time to deeply ponder the issues of life, let alone the music intricacies of each lovely little ditty!

------------------
Currently Listening To: the fluctuating pitch of the fan on my Mac
Old 27-07-2013, 01:12 AM   #4
PazzyPazzy
Minor Glitch
PazzyPazzy is a jewel in the roughPazzyPazzy is a jewel in the roughPazzyPazzy is a jewel in the rough
California
MC Status: 260

I'm not sure that I'm 100% understood what you were saying. Tuning by intonation - does this mean he was altering the intonation on his guitar to change the tuning he was in - or does this mean he was frequently adjusting the intonation while playing to craft melodies and chord progressions?

In particular on an electric guitar I love bending the neck (with my hand on the headstock) to really drift in some oscillations that can be fed back with a looped signal creating some lovely harmonies and overtones in the vein of noise.

------------------
PazzyPazzy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 03:28 AM   #5
music producer
Granular Poster
Central Indiana, USA

The guitarist tuned his dobro to a major chord, with the 3rd lowered somewhat.

------------------
Old 27-07-2013, 03:49 AM   #6
PazzyPazzy
Minor Glitch
PazzyPazzy is a jewel in the roughPazzyPazzy is a jewel in the roughPazzyPazzy is a jewel in the rough
California
MC Status: 260

Still confused - so he was in an open tuning? With the third degree of the chord flatted by a few micro-tones - or are you saying the G-string was lowered somewhat?

------------------
PazzyPazzy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 04:43 AM   #7
music producer
Granular Poster
Central Indiana, USA

Can't remember for sure - but I believe he tuned to an open C chord with the E a bit low.

------------------
Old 27-07-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390098
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,765 Posts

So you are saying he just "tuned" his guitar, looking like this?
Otherwise it's pretty damn hard to "tune it to just intonation".

Advertisements

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote