I really want to learn some basic theory
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 26-06-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Chaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 753000
I really want to learn some basic theory

I'll start by saying I have a minor learning disability, and sometimes reading these books just confuses the hell out of me. I haven't really read anything that has just clicked. I hate having to compose all my songs strictly by ear, and moving stuff around until it sounds okay at best.

Can anyone suggest a book/web page that puts stuff into laymans terms, or is slightly easier to understand than most of them out there. I don't know if I'm just reading the wrong books, but I never understand much of what's in them. Having ADD as well probably doesn't help with my attention span.

Advertisements

------------------
Chaotix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
statisticquill
Ghostly
statisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond repute
Calgary
MC Status: 7510
Re: I really want to learn some basic theory

Really depends on what you're reading - a lot of books on theory are written by classical musicians and are confusing as hell, and not necessarily applicable to what you're doing.

Perhaps it would be better to find a piano teacher who's willing to help you out with some theory lessons - I am honestly terrible at theory but with the help of a good teacher and a lot of time invested I have a fairly strong understanding of the basics. The other benefit of this is that you learn how to work within the piano roll more easily.
statisticquill is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5743243

Other than only reading or watching something, I'd also like to suggest getting a keyboard. You can gather a lot just by hitting a key and then finding another before or after it that sounds good in a progression(sorry if I assumed too much, sounds like you're mousing/moving midi notes).

I'd already been playing for a while when I watched this but I found it interesting none the less. I haven't watched the rest of the videos he's done though.

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #4
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Chaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 753000

I have a midi keyboard, sadly it's only 2 octaves, but that would be fine for just simple chord progressions I would presume. I'll give this video a watch, thanks! If anybody else has any good links/videos please do post!

------------------
Chaotix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 01:14 AM   #5
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33060

look up Lypur on youtube..easy to learn and has some humor..

read and read and study..no real shortcuts.

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 01:25 AM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8549380
Thanked 7,169 Times in 5,085 Posts

I found Ravenspiral's Guide to Music Theory really straightfoward. Just google it, it's free.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Str8Jaketed (26-06-2013)
Old 27-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #7
CallAndResponse
Soundscaper
CallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4210

You say you've got a learning disability, don't like books and want basic music theory?
Here is your man:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Just scroll through the videos, he has an hour and a half series covering all the basics and its clear and easy to understand. Not only does it have the common basics but it has other well kept secrets like call and response (yes I am aware that is my name) and rhythmic motifs. Enjoy!
CallAndResponse is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #8
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25960

the first thing you need to learn is how what the major scale is and how to harmonize it.

google: harmonize major scale
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I found Ravenspiral's Guide to Music Theory really straightfoward. Just google it, it's free.
+1
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #10
M.D.M.
Minor Glitch
M.D.M. will become famous soon enoughM.D.M. will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Basic music theory is the back bone to great music! Your music just sounds better when you understand the nuances of structure and musical organization
M.D.M. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
I Am Me
Analog Lurker
I Am Me is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
the first thing you need to learn is how what the major scale is and how to harmonize it.

google: harmonize major scale

i googled this, and i dont quite understand how this helps... it seems to me like it just helps you label the chords either major or minor. so in a chord, when any note gets flattened from the original scale, it becomes minor? is this helpful by letting you know that the note that has been flattened needs to be brought up a semitone for it to sound major?
I Am Me is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
RaidenBeats
Fuck 'er Right N Da Pussy
RaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MCRaidenBeats is a savage MC
Ur Lil Sisters Wet Dream
MC Status: 41760

I'm the same way when I comes to learning. I like simple easy to understand terms. I dot want you to throw lingo at me I don't understand. +1 to the raven spiral book btw

------------------
Im looking for people to collaborate with on artistic projects. I am currently looking for a couple artists who can draw very well that want to work on a comic book
RaidenBeats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
I Am Me
Analog Lurker
I Am Me is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Me View Post
i googled this, and i dont quite understand how this helps... it seems to me like it just helps you label the chords either major or minor. so in a chord, when any note gets flattened from the original scale, it becomes minor? is this helpful by letting you know that the note that has been flattened needs to be brought up a semitone for it to sound major?

so, can any1one help me out with this?
I Am Me is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:41 AM   #14
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45945781
Thanked 5,752 Times in 3,615 Posts

I started with the Pentatonic scale.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #15
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Me View Post
I'll try and help. First of all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Me
it seems to me like it just helps you label the chords either major or minor.
nope, only when you flat the third does a chord become minor. The third is what gives a chord its minor or major "color"

The reason harmonizing the major scale is helpful (very helpful), is that it gives you a group of chords that will sound good together. You can more or less throw them in any order and it won't sound bad. There's a lot more to music theory, but like I say, this is the most basic element.

It is kind of tough learning music theory, but you're just going to have to keep reading stuff. Don't just give up after reading one article. Try reading (and messing around with your keyboard while reading) for 15 min a day for a couple of weeks before you give up.

try this video it seems pretty good

people play video games and fart around on facebook for hours every day, if you put that kind of time into music stuff you'll be a whiz in no time.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:36 AM   #16
imma3k
Soundscaper
imma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud of
narnia, chillin with mr tumnus n shit.
MC Status: 1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
+1 again. i found this very helpful, along with some of the youtube videos that have been mentioned. i would read the guide, if it still hasnt stuck watch some of the youtube videos and if still hasnt really helped you could message them for a more simplified explanation or get yourself a teacher.
imma3k is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #17
Wulfsok
IDMf Supporter
Wulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MC
Wulf Palace
MC Status: 40912

I've always hated music theory =/
Just like language, when you 'know' you misspelled a word, based on some strange language rule that you instinctively know from speaking that language since you were young.

With me it's the same with music. I have a hard time putting letters and numbers to sounds, but can still read notation and play by ear.

It's still really useful for composition though, learning a chordal progression that affects a person in a very specific way, etc.

EDIT And Chaotix stop making excuses. You can do anything if you dedicate yourself to it, us humans are amazing creatures. Almost as amazing as dolphins.

Last edited by Wulfsok; 05-07-2013 at 08:28 PM..

------------------
Wulfsok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: chopin
Old 07-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #18
AirRake
Regular Freak
AirRake will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I just finished Music Theory 2 at my university and my professor pretty much told me i was top of the class, she loved me haha. If you have any specific questions or anything you can let me know though. Anything from Basic chords to melody and harmony progressions. I love theory
AirRake is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #19
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirRake View Post
I just finished Music Theory 2 at my university and my professor pretty much told me i was top of the class, she loved me haha. If you have any specific questions or anything you can let me know though. Anything from Basic chords to melody and harmony progressions. I love theory
explain to these goobers why it's important to learn how to harmonize the major scale.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #20
AirRake
Regular Freak
AirRake will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Well pretty much if you know your way around a basic major scale you avoid obviously being out of tune, but more importantly staying away from uncomfortable dissonance. A good suggestion is to start with Cmajor for instance, literally just all the white keys you see on a piano. Make sure you start on a C though, because otherwise it can change the scale completely.

Also, if you want a cheap shortcut for Chord progressions or you dont know much about it. Consider just using the 1st and the 5th in the scale. In the c major scale these are the C major(CEG) and G major (GBD) chord. Just maybe a tip to help get started writing. Any other specific questions though?

Last edited by AirRake; 07-07-2013 at 09:32 PM..

Advertisements

AirRake is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote