The Potential is Attractive (How the Idea of a Hot Girl Will Help You Finish Songs)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
Zenchamusic
Granular Poster
Zenchamusic has much to be proud ofZenchamusic has much to be proud ofZenchamusic has much to be proud ofZenchamusic has much to be proud ofZenchamusic has much to be proud ofZenchamusic has much to be proud ofZenchamusic has much to be proud ofZenchamusic has much to be proud ofZenchamusic has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1110
The Potential is Attractive (How the Idea of a Hot Girl Will Help You Finish Songs)

Hey guys

Finished up a new article today about hot girls and the mindset towards executing songs. [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Excerpt:

Quote:
When I say the potential is attractive, what I mean is that we tend to view the possibilities of anything as far more interesting, engaging, or attractive than it actually is in reality.

Have you ever had a really sweet idea for a song concept in your head? A killer drop but you just couldnít get it out onto paper?

The reality is, your execution will always be short of your vision because once itís on paper it no longer has limitless potential. Putting it on paper is giving it literal limits.

Itís real, itís flawed, itís concrete. It can be no more than it already is. It is inside boundaries. It is contained, it is a structure and it is moving forward.

On the contrary, and idea in your mind is boundless. Itís ever flowing, ever altering and better each time you think about it. Itís exciting, itís ambitious and expansive. Itís unrelentingly creative and fantastic. Itís the best idea you ever had.

Until, again, you put it on paper (or in our case, the sequencer).
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

Zenchamusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:40 AM   #2
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4310
Re: The Potential is Attractive (How the Idea of a Hot Girl Will Help You Finish Song

Pretty good read. In 2 months it'll be a year since I told myself that I would progress and man have I progressed.

From being able to mix better, having a better concept of what compression is, how to make a track sound good as a whole or musically, to my surprise I've learned a lot about myself more than just making music.

The struggle I've had for the first 6-7 months were horrific. I was constantly pandering. Not sure how common this problem is but if theres one that thing slows a musician down is when he or she is pandering.

I guess at some point my mind just clicked and was able to accept that I have to be myself and I can find a way to get out there while being myself.

Heres a good quote from the recent Daft Punk track which I think relates a little to the article that you've just posted -

"Once you free your mind about a concept of harmony and music being correct, you can do whatever you want. So, nobody told me what to do, and there was no preconception of what to do."

------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:42 AM   #3
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts
Re: The Potential is Attractive (How the Idea of a Hot Girl Will Help You Finish Song

So I should imagine my midi controller as a hot dude and take him on a date right?
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mindsweeper
PROton42 (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 06:15 AM   #4
Gravidy
Learning The Ropes
Gravidy is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Good Stuff, I checked out the website and subscribed
Gravidy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #5
statisticquill
Ghostly
statisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond repute
Calgary
MC Status: 7510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsweeper View Post
So I should imagine my midi controller as a hot dude and take him on a date right?
Unfortunately a midi controller will not give you an amazing blowjob.
This idea seems flawed.
statisticquill is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to statisticquill
RaidenBeats (18-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticquill View Post
Unfortunately a midi controller will not give you an amazing blowjob.
This idea seems flawed.
Yeah but I can give the midi controller an amazing knob job.
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #7
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran
MC Status: 69460
Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,031 Posts

Quote:
Yeah but I can give the midi controller an amazing knob job.
*sigh*

------------------
( ु⚈᷁௰⚈᷁ ू)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareTheCircle View Post
It sounds like two records playing at once .
Skrillex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts

P_P
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421874829
Thanked 4,937 Times in 2,856 Posts

Hot girls help me finish songs all the time. When I'm hanging out with some hot ladies, I often get pumped to make some music.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
Stich
Savage Mad Cunt
Stich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MC
Keep Colorado Springs Lame
MC Status: 47810

Quote:
Listen to David Sedaris talk about his dwarf jazz guitar teacher sometime.
Stich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Stich
relic (03-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

I have a few thoughts on this

All you need is a feeling, no ideas.

The potential of a song isn't just endless in ones mind, its endless as it is. There is so much things you can do to a piece of music. One sample can have its own life spanning different genres. There isn't one perfect ideal song to strive towards that you fall short from. To make good music just let the music move you. Feel it. Let the music just take you away into unexplored territories.

If you cannot expand on the song maybe you are overthinking it? Maybe its you who are putting the song within its boundaries by thinking about how it should or shouldn't be. Maybe you try and force a sound or a result that wasn't meant to be. Do not try and bend the spoon that is impossible.

Have you tried improvising? Who knows what might come out off it? Can you have confidence in the music that is you?
If you aren't original you won't make anything original. Originality doesn't come from trying it comes from being, that is within its definition. I also do not think originality is something "given" to a chosen few but something everyone has, most people just don't know how to bring it out.

Last edited by Crude_beats; 02-06-2013 at 07:03 PM..
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Crude_beats
Xenon (27-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #12
Sai of 9th
Regular Freak
Sai of 9th will become famous soon enough
Knoxville, Tennessee
MC Status: 60

Cool ideas.

When I started writing, a track would take a month, maybe longer. I'd get stuck in these concepts of what I wanted the track to represent.

Now, to get ready for a 2 hour gig in July, I'm writing several tracks a week. Nothing has to live or die by each track, each can be a simple moment in time, and that is so freeing. They'll mean something different to each person who hears them, and maybe they'll just be the glue that I use to mix two other songs together. It doesn't matter; only the moment matters.

And yes, a hot guy (for me), definitely an incentive to work harder. I'd like to buy the one I live with that Viper he's always dreamed of!
Sai of 9th is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 02:52 AM   #13
DrRefract
Minor Glitch
DrRefract will become famous soon enoughDrRefract will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Excellent article. It's amazing how progress that seems so painstaking along the way can turn out to be remarkably fast in retrospect.

One of the challenging lessons I've learned is that how inspired I feel and how good the day's production is can have very little to do with each other. Has anyone else found this?
DrRefract is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #14
Zenchamusic
Granular Poster
Zenchamusic has much to be proud ofZenchamusic has much to be proud ofZenchamusic has much to be proud ofZenchamusic has much to be proud ofZenchamusic has much to be proud ofZenchamusic has much to be proud ofZenchamusic has much to be proud ofZenchamusic has much to be proud ofZenchamusic has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1110

Apparently mindsweeper is currently located inside my asshole. Interesting.

Quote:
One of the challenging lessons I've learned is that how inspired I feel and how good the day's production is can have very little to do with each other. Has anyone else found this?
Yea I've noticed that, but they do tend to correlate.

Quote:
he potential of a song isn't just endless in ones mind, its endless as it is. There is so much things you can do to a piece of music. One sample can have its own life spanning different genres. There isn't one perfect ideal song to strive towards that you fall short from. To make good music just let the music move you. Feel it. Let the music just take you away into unexplored territories.

If you cannot expand on the song maybe you are overthinking it? Maybe its you who are putting the song within its boundaries by thinking about how it should or shouldn't be. Maybe you try and force a sound or a result that wasn't meant to be. Do not try and bend the spoon that is impossible.

Have you tried improvising? Who knows what might come out off it? Can you have confidence in the music that is you?
If you aren't original you won't make anything original. Originality doesn't come from trying it comes from being, that is within its definition. I also do not think originality is something "given" to a chosen few but something everyone has, most people just don't know how to bring it out.
Strong words, I agree mostly.

I do think, sometimes, the path you've started down in a production is not one you're equipped to finish (whether that be style, taste, or whatever reason).

Or, in more laymens terms, sometimes a track is just asking to be thrown away. Chuck it and start the next.

Advertisements

Zenchamusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote