Slate Virtual Buss Compressors
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8533730
Thanked 6,856 Times in 4,882 Posts
Slate Virtual Buss Compressors

So, Slate is having an awesome sale right now (50% off all their plug ins!). I had a coupon and decided to invest in Virtual Buss Compressors...I haven't gotten to do anything but install it, get it cozy with iLok and recognized by my DAW.

Just curious about anyone's thoughts, which compressors from VBC you like on what kind of elements? How are you using them on your master buss? CPU load etc? Fav combos and settings?

I've been on a Trip Hop-ish tip lately and hoping to add some harmonic distortion magic to the mixes : )

Last edited by relic; 08-09-2014 at 07:51 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
opiumflirt
Regular Freak
opiumflirt has a spectacular aura aboutopiumflirt has a spectacular aura aboutopiumflirt has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210
Re: Slate Virtual Buss Compressors

Seems like a sale going on on other brands as well (Soundtoys f.ex.)
opiumflirt is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #3
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer
surgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MC
MC Status: 12446433

Right on! Let us know what you think. These have been my go-to comps for a while.

The Gray/SSL seems to be the most popular but for whatever reason I find myself using the Red and the MU more. I use the MU for more subtle compression, and I especially like it in M/S mode when mastering full mixes. For harder compression on drum groups and other stuff, I like the red. I like playing with the drive knob. Slate said a mastering engineer he likes said that 6.6 was the magic number on the drive knob for full mixes. After EQ, I'll usually go MU in M/S mode into the red set as a very slight limiter (ultra fast attack/release w/ less than 1dB reduction on the peaks) with the drive knob at 6.6.

------------------
surgeongeneral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to surgeongeneral
relic (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #4
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1834777

Highly recommend any plugin with Fabrice Gabriels signature code on it and likewise, respect and own the slate collection.

Mu not so much and Red on the drums.
My goto for buss jobs it Cytomics TheGlue and then I tend to use grey on the bass buss along with Kush Audios Clariphonic.

Grey just does the mojo.

I love VCC. I find on the mixdown stage for groups and main buss, I feel a mojo and is cohesive in bringing a nice vibe together.

FGx - I DONOT liek using this on projects. Only on the final mastering (I use mastering losely at my level of recording work), as it tends to crash when trying to reopen projects. So I always leave it in the master buss but disengaged. Not sure why but believe this will be sorted in good time.
Slates virtual tape is good, but I have found myself using uhe Satin more and more on the master.

Looking foward to Fabrices Eiosis release, which should be soon....

I think Slates got his work cut out at the moment with PR and so many projects on the go, there was a recent email sent out to customers of late. New framework and hopefully we will see the Virtual Rack released...watch this "swith on echoboy" Space, space..space.....space

Slates lways worth a demo if you got iLok and the current sale (along wih soundtoys) are very worthwhile.

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to MFXxx
relic (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1533677
Thanked 1,909 Times in 1,225 Posts

The Glue, Tokyo Labs EQ, Ableton's native MB comp and Waves L2 is my current mastering chain. Used it last on an upcoming release on Metropolis Records (yay industrial) and plan to for the next 2 releases I have lined up for Masterizizing.

I use both Glue and MB Dynamics in parallel mode, every plug only does a little bit of work but the cumulative effect is doing it for me.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
relic (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
The Glue, Tokyo Labs EQ, Ableton's native MB comp and Waves L2 is my current mastering chain. Used it last on an upcoming release on Metropolis Records (yay industrial) and plan to for the next 2 releases I have lined up for Masterizizing.

I use both Glue and MB Dynamics in parallel mode, every plug only does a little bit of work but the cumulative effect is doing it for me.
I've started stacking compressors as well, I seem to get a better result having more compressors and each of them doing less work.

------------------
Thanks to relic
chasedobson (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 06:50 AM   #7
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

100%

------------------
Old 09-09-2014, 08:37 AM   #8
badmotor
Savage Mad Cunt
badmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MC
MC Status: 31260

Anyone using Klanghelm's DC8C? I quite like it, but don't see it mentioned much.
badmotor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

^^I've not, but i do use their IVGI on subgroups and on the occasional master. I did an EP for a local acoustic singer songwriter and IVGI really helped round out the master. IVGI made it sound less digitally precise. A little bit goes a long way.

------------------
Old 09-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I'm guessing @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
will be of some help here...

Since a lot of these are software emulations of hardware...how does anyone feel about VST compressors versus hardware?

I've got a couple decent entry level compressors I use when I'm working out of the box sometimes, but I don't often use them when working mostly ITB. (Really Nice Compressor and Joe Meek MC2).

------------------
Old 09-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #11
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

I go to HW when i need a specific flavor, for example, there is a studio in town that has 4 channels of UA LA2A clones, they're really freaking sweet but not something i would go to for a master bus processor, for me they're better at the subgroup level. For master bus processing I prefer pretty transparent plugins, that Tokyo Lab's EQ i mentioned is the exception.

In the live environment (on the level i am working at that is), 99% of the compression is SW in the form of Waves (or the equivalent) plugins on Digidesign, Midas or Digico digital consoles. I think this is more an issue of total mix recall and convenience than anything else, but gone are the days of seeing racks of Distressors at FOH or Monitors.

Regarding the RNC and MC2, I think both of those really hit the spot but fall into the same category as those LA2A clones, better in a mix than when used for masters.

Just my 2 cents. Dont take my word for it, give it a shot. (:

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
relic (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 05:17 PM   #12
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
I go to HW when i need a specific flavor, for example, there is a studio in town that has 4 channels of UA LA2A clones, they're really freaking sweet but not something i would go to for a master bus processor, for me they're better at the subgroup level. For master bus processing I prefer pretty transparent plugins, that Tokyo Lab's EQ i mentioned is the exception.

In the live environment (on the level i am working at that is), 99% of the compression is SW in the form of Waves (or the equivalent) plugins on Digidesign, Midas or Digico digital consoles. I think this is more an issue of total mix recall and convenience than anything else, but gone are the days of seeing racks of Distressors at FOH or Monitors.

Regarding the RNC and MC2, I think both of those really hit the spot but fall into the same category as those LA2A clones, better in a mix than when used for masters.

Just my 2 cents. Dont take my word for it, give it a shot. (:
Thanks for the info as always, I really need to try printing sub mixes through hardware. I don't know why just don't experiment and end up just talking about them. Not long ago I tried a bitcrusher on the master at > 10% wet and got good responses about the mix

------------------
Old 09-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #13
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer
surgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Not long ago I tried a bitcrusher on the master at > 10% wet and got good responses about the mix
Old school MPCs were 12 bit and a lot of people prefer the way they sound. In ableton, sometimes I throw a redux set to 12 bit on drums or other elements if I'm trying to emulate the old school MPC hip hop sound.

Try those compressors yet?

------------------
Old 09-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #14
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeongeneral View Post
Old school MPCs were 12 bit and a lot of people prefer the way they sound. In ableton, sometimes I throw a redux set to 12 bit on drums or other elements if I'm trying to emulate the old school MPC hip hop sound.

Try those compressors yet?
It was the MPC preset on d16 Demicort lol

Havent yet! Work and such have been keeping me down...

------------------
Old 10-09-2014, 12:45 AM   #15
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer

Having helped talk you into them in the first place, I'd love to know what you think. I feel partially responsible, but you were the guy who got me into Slate in the first place so maybe it's kind of even?

------------------
Thanks to surgeongeneral
relic (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 01:13 AM   #16
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeongeneral View Post
Having helped talk you into them in the first place, I'd love to know what you think. I feel partially responsible, but you were the guy who got me into Slate in the first place so maybe it's kind of even?
Haha. I will let you know! At the latest I have Friday off : ) but also planning to get up early tomorrow to finish off my remix for Benwaa's contest...

------------------
Old 10-09-2014, 06:37 PM   #17
WillyZi
Digital Surfer
WillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MC
Chicago,
MC Status: 4460777

I suspect that relic works for there company. Good stuff I might grab one next paycheck! =)

------------------
Listen @ Soundcloud
Follow @ Twitter
[Why X NoT] **Emotional Experimental**
WillyZi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #18
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyZi View Post
I suspect that relic works for there company. Good stuff I might grab one next paycheck! =)
Haha. I wish! How cool would that job be ;p

------------------
Thanks to relic
Numerical (11-09-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 02:48 AM   #19
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941881
Thanked 5,674 Times in 3,576 Posts

I would love to work for Steven Slate. Dude knows audio.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
relic (11-09-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 03:36 AM   #20
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Haha...well..it is possible Mr.Slate's software may have done fucked up my studio workstation!

Advertisements

------------------
Thanks to relic
Numerical (11-09-2014)