[Tutorial] How to make Drums pop even without compression
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 19-01-2014, 01:40 AM   #1
Grenade Freak
Granular Poster
Grenade Freak is a jewel in the roughGrenade Freak is a jewel in the roughGrenade Freak is a jewel in the roughGrenade Freak is a jewel in the rough
SC
MC Status: 310
[Tutorial] How to make Drums pop even without compression

Firstly I am not a expert mixer but wanted to share a technique I use to make my drums pop harder without compressers well sort of. I'm useing ableton so I'll be using drum rack.

1. Download Flux Bittersweet: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

You'll have to sign up for the newsletter.

2. Once downloaded and installed, open ableton, now open drum rack.

3. put the samples you want to use in the rack slots.

(Optional) 4.turn the velocity up on all samples in the rack.

5. Now add a eq to your Kicks and snares. Kick should peak around 60 hz and snares 200-220 hz

6. now add flux bittersweet to your kicks and snares then turn the knob to the right it'll make the sample loud crunchy.

7. add another to flux to master of the drum rack which means dont add the effect to particular sample (You can add individual effects to individual samples in the rack by dragging an effect over the sampler)

8. Now add reverb, just a little bit unless you want more.

9. now freeze the track and drag it to a audio track

10. Finally add a limiter to the audio track as it will most likely go into the red on the volume meter.

I hope you enjoy this tutorial, again I'm a noob at tutorials so if theres anything you need help with just ask. BUT I will not spoon feed you everything, trust me I know what thats like, seeking knowledge I mean. But like my mentor once told me "Its better you learn yourself, than to rely on people".

Good luck and happy producing!:holadines:

just in case add a compressor though

Advertisements

Grenade Freak is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 04:34 AM   #2
eery
Soundwave Mangler
eery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond reputeeery has a reputation beyond repute
Gjøvik
MC Status: 3910
Re: [Tutorial] How to make Drums pop even without compression

what does bittersweet do though? I mean, it does say "processing tool for managing audio transients" but what does that mean?

From looking at it, it just looks like flux soundgoodizer.

------------------

"Get yourself together, man. Move to Philly. Buy a loft. Start a noise band.
Get six or seven roommates… eat hummus with them.
Book some gigs. Paint. Smoke cloves.
Listen to Animal Collective. Start some type of salsa company."
eery is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 05:05 AM   #3
Grenade Freak
Granular Poster
Grenade Freak is a jewel in the roughGrenade Freak is a jewel in the roughGrenade Freak is a jewel in the roughGrenade Freak is a jewel in the rough
SC

Its a transient shaper from what I know it make things tighter

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Old 19-01-2014, 05:10 AM   #4
Grenade Freak
Granular Poster
SC

I'm not good at effects so I wouldn't go into detail. Just know it works well.
Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Old 19-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #5
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

It's an expander/gate, pretty much. Transient shaper seems to be their new/modern name, which also have relative/dynamic threshold (instead of fixed as the expander/gate).

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
Grenade Freak
Granular Poster
SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
It's an expander/gate, pretty much. Transient shaper seems to be their new/modern name, which also have relative/dynamic threshold (instead of fixed as the expander/gate).
lol sorry guy I was just trying to help not doin a very good job I suppose... heheh....
Old 19-01-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

I was also trying to help.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 10:16 PM   #8
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20710

another thing as-well mate eqing a kick at 60 is to low maybe if its a weighty 808 (even then 65 to 70 hz)
but kicks usually hit around the 85 to 115 mark. (i kill off around 50 to 60 hz on a kick ma bey even more as that's where the low rumble is and it generally not needed at all) 100hz is the safest bet for a kick.

Last edited by joem; 19-01-2014 at 10:22 PM..
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 11:34 PM   #9
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110450
Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,416 Posts

Most of us mix by turning things down instead of turning things up and then limiting them. It's all about relative volume, so if you turn all the things down, you have some room.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
Grenade Freak (20-01-2014)
Old 20-01-2014, 12:08 AM   #10
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

Flux may be an expander as Evelon said when turned to the right, but when turned to the left it's a very good transparent limiter and since it primarily acts upon transients in terms of both frequency and timing, it is YES, A TRANSIENT SHAPER (TRANSIENT BRICK WALL PEAK LIMITER).

They are super handy, since most percussive sounds have huge transients which can otherwise "steal" a lot of amplitude headroom which is better otherwise used for EQ or whatnot.

Last edited by Nystagmus; 20-01-2014 at 12:32 AM..

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
Evelon (20-01-2014)
Old 20-01-2014, 02:28 AM   #11
Grenade Freak
Granular Poster
SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
another thing as-well mate eqing a kick at 60 is to low maybe if its a weighty 808 (even then 65 to 70 hz)
but kicks usually hit around the 85 to 115 mark. (i kill off around 50 to 60 hz on a kick ma bey even more as that's where the low rumble is and it generally not needed at all) 100hz is the safest bet for a kick.
yeah sorry I use alot of 808's. I'll take that in my mind thanks, wasnt sure what hz to put for a kick now I know. I'm sorry guys for the shitty tutorial I wanted to share how I do it. But I'm not the only one doing this I adapted this from a tut on music radar I think. Theres are way better than this one so might to check it out if I can find it I'll post it here.
Old 20-01-2014, 02:31 AM   #12
Grenade Freak
Granular Poster
SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
Most of us mix by turning things down instead of turning things up and then limiting them. It's all about relative volume, so if you turn all the things down, you have some room.
lol I guess I'm different.... Is that a bad way of mixing if so I apologize.
Old 20-01-2014, 04:07 AM   #13
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9010

If everything is loud, nothing is loud. Stereos have a volume knob, not a clarity knob.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 04:36 AM   #14
Grenade Freak
Granular Poster
SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar Joe View Post
If everything is loud, nothing is loud. Stereos have a volume knob, not a clarity knob.
Agreed, but I only use this on the drums.
Old 21-01-2014, 04:38 AM   #15
Grenade Freak
Granular Poster
SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar Joe View Post
But I understand none the less apologies
Old 21-01-2014, 05:11 AM   #16
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9010

Don't apologise, dude. Reading my post back it sounds harsh and it wasn't meant to. Far out for a first tutorial, not a whole lot of people bother.

Advertisements

Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote