A Beginners guide to Electronic Music Production - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 31-07-2012, 04:37 AM   #21
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist
Dataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MC
MC Status: 47764252
Re: A Beginners guide to Electronic Music Production

I would disagree with a lot of what you said Funken. And I use two launchpads to perform all my music. Lack of Velocity sensitivity is a drag.

Advertisements

------------------
Dataf1ow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #22
funken
Banned
funken is a savage MCfunken is a savage MCfunken is a savage MCfunken is a savage MCfunken is a savage MCfunken is a savage MCfunken is a savage MCfunken is a savage MCfunken is a savage MCfunken is a savage MCfunken is a savage MC
MC Status: 2647892

For live drumming maybe, everything has it's pros and cons.
funken is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #23
DandroidC
Regular Freak
DandroidC is currently spamming hard
Rockville, MD
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
Someone should add some stuff about setting up MIDI controllers to work with other synths and things.
This. I just bought myself a Novation Impulse 61, and the "manual" it comes with is simply a short packet describing what the knobs and pads do, not how to set them up
DandroidC is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:06 AM   #24
mischjok
Guy with a computer
mischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MC
Not German
MC Status: 65762841

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandroidC View Post
This. I just bought myself a Novation Impulse 61, and the "manual" it comes with is simply a short packet describing what the knobs and pads do, not how to set them up
Man, the very best thing that can happen to you after buying a midi controller is not having to spend hours making your way through a tl;dr. This means that you are allowed to set the controller up in any way that suits you. Your setup will probably vary from DAW to DAW (its like that for me, for example).
mischjok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #25
Flounder443
Learning The Ropes
Flounder443 is currently spamming hard

This is just the thread I was looking for. I am the defination of a noob at the moment but one thing I have is time to expirment. all I needed to see was what to get (my first attempts were with Virtual DJ). Now if only these items were cheap.
Flounder443 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #26
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder443 View Post
This is just the thread I was looking for. I am the defination of a noob at the moment but one thing I have is time to expirment. all I needed to see was what to get (my first attempts were with Virtual DJ). Now if only these items were cheap.
Second-hand midi keyboards, and controllers in general - are usually very cheap. Getting a used midi-keyboard, spending some time making music & figuring out what gear you'd like is a better approach than buying a load of gear only to realize you don't actually need all of it / would rather have something else.

Good luck with your music making & getting your set-up sorted .
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:34 AM   #27
Adub1984
Regular Freak
Adub1984 is currently spamming hard
Dirty jerz

Can't wait to learn all about that stuff.im using my ipad with midi .fl mobile..I guess I'm learning basics
Adub1984 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:50 AM   #28
kortslutning
Learning The Ropes
kortslutning is currently spamming hard

What you need is a brain, computer, monitors, soundcard and a daw you like. Then hours and hours of producing. That's really all you need my friend.
kortslutning is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #29
Modi Music
Granular Poster
Modi Music is currently spamming hard
Oslo

this is an amazing post!

would love to have this a year ago, haha

i will send this link to some of my friends that are starting now
Modi Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #30
thisENIGMA
Minor Glitch
thisENIGMA is currently spamming hard
TX

This is an extremely useful post. I plan to spend a couple hours in here tonight. Thanks for compiling all of this.
thisENIGMA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #31
anstaendig
Learning The Ropes
anstaendig is currently spamming hard
Gummersbach

This post is great. As I'm going to create my own little home "studio" I read a lot and talked to some guys with more experience.

So this is what I think I'm going to buy:

2x KRK RP5 G2
Audio Technica ATH-M50 or AKG K 240 MKII
Ableton Push (as soon as it's released)

I already own a American Audio VMS2 with an integrated interface. I read that the interface is not bad at all with low latency. Can I stick with it at the moment or is it total crap? I know that it's originally for mixing but I'm having a lot more fun making my own sounds, that's why I'm going to buy all that stuff. If the integrated audio interface in the VMS2 is not really an option I searched and thought about buying this interface:

Akai EIE PRo

It would be really nice if some of you gave me a feedback about my choices. Thanks!

Last edited by anstaendig; 17-01-2013 at 08:07 PM..
anstaendig is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 02:54 AM   #32
thisENIGMA
Minor Glitch
thisENIGMA is currently spamming hard
TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by anstaendig View Post
This post is great. As I'm going to create my own little home "studio" I read a lot and talked to some guys with more experience.

So this is what I think I'm going to buy:

2x KRK RP5 G2
Audio Technica ATH-M50 or AKG K 240 MKII
Ableton Push (as soon as it's released)

I already own a American Audio VMS2 with an integrated interface. I read that the interface is not bad at all with low latency. Can I stick with it at the moment or is it total crap? I know that it's originally for mixing but I'm having a lot more fun making my own sounds, that's why I'm going to buy all that stuff. If the integrated audio interface in the VMS2 is not really an option I searched and thought about buying this interface:

Akai EIE PRo

It would be really nice if some of you gave me a feedback about my choices. Thanks!
I hear the ATH-M50s are EXCELLENT quality headphones!
thisENIGMA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 03:52 AM   #33
frenchboy
Analog Lurker
frenchboy has a spectacular aura aboutfrenchboy has a spectacular aura aboutfrenchboy has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

A mixer is useless. The only useful things are monitors.

Anything else except monitors you can recreate with a software.

Last edited by scyn; 18-01-2013 at 01:06 PM..
frenchboy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 04:03 AM   #34
Bucky TNP
Microknight
Bucky TNP is a name known to allBucky TNP is a name known to allBucky TNP is a name known to allBucky TNP is a name known to allBucky TNP is a name known to allBucky TNP is a name known to all
MC Status: 610

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisENIGMA View Post
I hear the ATH-M50s are EXCELLENT quality headphones!
I personally hated them, I sold them like 2 weeks after I bought them for half the price. I know practically EVERYBODY loves them, but I just hated the frequency response so much. They were built well, really clear, but it sounded like an old man farting into a tin can. I bought some Beyerdynamic DT-770's soon after and never looked back, I moved up to the DT-880's eventually
Bucky TNP is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 04:24 AM   #35
anstaendig
Learning The Ropes
anstaendig is currently spamming hard
Gummersbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky TNP View Post
I personally hated them, I sold them like 2 weeks after I bought them for half the price. I know practically EVERYBODY loves them, but I just hated the frequency response so much. They were built well, really clear, but it sounded like an old man farting into a tin can. I bought some Beyerdynamic DT-770's soon after and never looked back, I moved up to the DT-880's eventually
You are the third guy telling me to think about Beyerdynamics. Guess they're pretty good? Maybe I'll change the headphones then. Think I'll test some of 'em at the store...
anstaendig is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 05:09 AM   #36
Jazzyspoon
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
Jazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 35997796

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchboy View Post
A mixer is useless..
That's a narrow perspective. if you are recording anything externally, especially real instruments, it can be incredibly useful. Just because it's electronic music doesn't mean it has to be entirely in the box.

------------------
Jazzyspoon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jazzyspoon
PROton42 (18-01-2013)
Old 18-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #37
frenchboy
Analog Lurker
frenchboy has a spectacular aura aboutfrenchboy has a spectacular aura aboutfrenchboy has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzyspoon View Post
That's a narrow perspective. if you are recording anything externally, especially real instruments, it can be incredibly useful. Just because it's electronic music doesn't mean it has to be entirely in the box.
I record vocals and guitar every once in a while. I don't see how a mixer would be of any use. DAWs and VSTs have mixers. Why would you need another one?

If you record multiple stuff at the same time you could just plug all your instruments into your audio interface, then mix them in your DAW, then send them out through your interface and record them with a mic.

It might be convenient but I can't imagine it doing anything a VST or DAW can't do.
frenchboy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 05:44 AM   #38
Bucky TNP
Microknight
Bucky TNP is a name known to allBucky TNP is a name known to allBucky TNP is a name known to allBucky TNP is a name known to allBucky TNP is a name known to allBucky TNP is a name known to all

Quote:
You are the third guy telling me to think about Beyerdynamics. Guess they're pretty good? Maybe I'll change the headphones then. Think I'll test some of 'em at the store...
They have a flawless frequency response, theyre clear, and they REALLY comfortable, theyre got a massive room for your ears and big fuzzy earcups. Theyre really one of the only headphones Im happy about using
Old 18-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #39
T-REn
Granular Poster
T-REn is currently spamming hard
Kuala Lumpur

Are you telling me that ATH-MH50 produce lot of distorted bass sound? That is very bad. Why people in internet telling it is very good and crystal clear. Does the headphone work well? since you bought it half price.
T-REn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #40
Bucky TNP
Microknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-REn View Post
Are you telling me that ATH-MH50 produce lot of distorted bass sound? That is very bad. Why people in internet telling it is very good and crystal clear. Does the headphone work well? since you bought it half price.
I sold it for half price, I just wanted to get rid of them. They didnt distort, not at all, they were crystal clear, but the whole frequency response was absolute crap. The mids were way too loud, the highs were harsh, and the lows all had the exact same compressed, artificial sound. They wouldnt translate well to any other speakers either.
Theyre good headphones, just not for mixing. I still wonder if I just got a bunk pair, but I like my current headphones, I dont feel a need to go and try the ATH-M50's again

Advertisements