What inspired YOU to start producing? and when did you start doing it? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 25-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #41
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
bass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant future
Long Island, New York
MC Status: 1910
Re: What inspired YOU to start producing? and when did you start doing it?

I personally always just liked the beats to songs more because even if the lyrics was not good th beat behind it could be.. I had a cheap music software when I was younger prbly 6th grade Music Maker 4 or 5 for windows was cool but never tried to learn it because I feel like I was too younge and it didn't keep my interest but recently within the last year ( I am 22 Now) I got reason 6.5 and started playing around with it a few months ago after I decided which DAW I wanted to use from the trial versions... I think it may have been attending festivals that made me want to experiment because there are so many different people with differnet sounds that why not see what you can put together yourself and if you like it great if others do well that fine too.. but the goal is to always grow

Advertisements

bass&moddedFreq is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #42
Leotrix
Granular Poster
Leotrix has a spectacular aura aboutLeotrix has a spectacular aura aboutLeotrix has a spectacular aura about
Sydney
MC Status: 210

short and honest answer:

skrillex, 2012

i started in 2012 using reason and moved on to ableton live 9.

the end.:problemofficer:
Leotrix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #43
MK300
Minor Glitch
MK300 will become famous soon enough
Ottawa
MC Status: 60

Listening to the video game soundtrack of the final fantasy games inspired me to make music. Started with guitar in high-school, then gave up in university. Then started learning piano a year ago and moved onto cubase about 4 months ago.
MK300 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #44
Cloudstruck
Minor Glitch
Cloudstruck will become famous soon enough
asheville nc

Honestly Glitch Mob
they came through our town a few years back and i thought it was the most amazing performance ever
different from any producer/dj ive ever seen before
and it was inspiring to see a performer actually doing something that interactive other than just using turn tables
ever since then ive been obsessed with controllerism and artist that use it
l
Cloudstruck is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #45
ahriman22
Minor Glitch
ahriman22 has a spectacular aura aboutahriman22 has a spectacular aura about
Montreal
MC Status: 160

I was 18 when I got a job that paid me as much money as my mother, so having no responsibilities I was able to say "I'm going to make music on my computer!" and then spend a bunch of money on a whim. Thank god I actually enjoy it.

It's been about 2 and a half years now, I don't have that job anymore.
ahriman22 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #46
YvesB
Minor Glitch
YvesB has a spectacular aura aboutYvesB has a spectacular aura about

Well i started listening to all these hard style music and i got into it, then i listen to some afrojack songs and some other reeeally comercial songs, i went to the Creamfields in my country and i was amazed, after that i came back and start producing some short boring loops for ages til i decided to make it a little bit more serius, i subscribed to Sonic Academy courses, did 3 months online watched tones of videos, tutorials, books whatever could help, and always ask for feedback. 1 and a half years ago, now i can say that producing music is one of the best feelings in the world.
YvesB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #47
helixeternal
Minor Glitch
helixeternal has a spectacular aura abouthelixeternal has a spectacular aura about
Fort Wayne, IN

I got into producing back in '01 when my keyboard teacher hooked me up with a copy of Acid and a bunch of free loops he got from AcidPlanet. At that time I had no idea about MIDI or VSTi or anything so I just made a bunch of tracks with loops. Later I'd move to FL Studio and I've been using that ever since.

I got into music production because of video games, mostly. I want to compose soundtracks.
helixeternal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #48
strangerflesh
Knob Twiddler
strangerflesh is a jewel in the roughstrangerflesh is a jewel in the roughstrangerflesh is a jewel in the rough
Winnipeg
MC Status: 260

well, what got me started wasI was around 15-17 and my dad bought reason. He is a recording engineer and wanted some other abilities in production. I fell in love with it quickly. I was already drumming at that time for a black metal band, but as you may expect it did not give me too much creative liberty or emotional creativity, besides blasts of blast beats at 140bpm. With reason i was completely able to express myself musically even with little to no hard music theory i could intuitively create sound, melody, and rhythm. It gave me a complete sense of freedom, my undivided attention, and an incredible calmness that i find no where else. When i am making music by ,myself for myself it is a moment like no other. I make music to relax, see clear, and discover what i am feeling. When I finish i song I am happy with it gives me crazy excitement and a huge sense of accomplishment.
strangerflesh is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:14 AM   #49
tonyp145
Minor Glitch
tonyp145 has a spectacular aura abouttonyp145 has a spectacular aura abouttonyp145 has a spectacular aura about
Seattle, WA
MC Status: 210

Well, I'm old for this group, but what the hell. I was a serious guitar player in high school, studied music theory, played in bands, the usual stuff. My freshman year in college I heard synth-pop for the first time -- Human League, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran -- and I was hooked. I traded in my Gibson for a used ARP Odyssey, then I got a deal on a TR-606/TB-303 combo and off I went. But by the late-80s that stuff was considered passe and I got discouraged and kind of lost interest. I got back into it in the late-90s with Cubase, Acid and SoundForge and have been into it pretty much since. But the main thing that inspired me was the idea that I could program machines to do my bidding and create the music I wanted to hear. That really turned me on 30 years ago and it still motivates me today.
tonyp145 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:00 AM   #50
EMG
Regular Freak
EMG will become famous soon enoughEMG will become famous soon enough
Miami
MC Status: 110

well i started in the mindset of becoming a rapper, so i used fl studios to make my beats, granted they sounded like shit, but something i kept on noticing was that there were sounding more and more techno-ie
so i eventually left my rap dreams aside and started making techno, then afrojack came along and i loved his sound, so i tryed mimicking it for a couple of years, until i ran into my gay romance with deadmau5, ever since, i jumped into electronic house, and havent looked back since. so far ive progressed alot, and i could say im at the level of being atleast in my own show. playing live for hundreds. and everytime i make a new track, i envision myself at ultra, making people dance, and hyped. thats what keeps me going, the fact that one day im going to be up on that stage
EMG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #51
helixeternal
Minor Glitch
helixeternal has a spectacular aura abouthelixeternal has a spectacular aura about
Fort Wayne, IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp145 View Post
Well, I'm old for this group, but what the hell. I was a serious guitar player in high school, studied music theory, played in bands, the usual stuff. My freshman year in college I heard synth-pop for the first time -- Human League, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran -- and I was hooked. I traded in my Gibson for a used ARP Odyssey, then I got a deal on a TR-606/TB-303 combo and off I went. But by the late-80s that stuff was considered passe and I got discouraged and kind of lost interest. I got back into it in the late-90s with Cubase, Acid and SoundForge and have been into it pretty much since. But the main thing that inspired me was the idea that I could program machines to do my bidding and create the music I wanted to hear. That really turned me on 30 years ago and it still motivates me today.
I love synth pop & new wave. Thomas Dolby was one of the first artists who inspired me to get into electronic.
helixeternal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #52
MBoost
Learning The Ropes
MBoost will become famous soon enough

Pretty much the standard once-a-band-kinda-guy deal for me. Played in a few bands as a rhythm guitarist, primarily. I never liked playing lead, too much thinking involved and technical guitar snobs trying to bring me down. With that, I'd concentrate more on songwriting. Then, as what happens with most bands, people's tastes started to change. Some wanted to evolve, some wanted to stay the same, some wanted to be the only creative voice, others didn't commit themselves. So I took off with recording my own ideas at home.
Then I heard Ministry for the first time and was blown away by the whole Industrial Metal thing - using drum machines and samples with thrash guitars, that whole thing. I studied Al Jourgensen and found the earlier Ministry stuff, with the heavier presence of electronics and electronic-style production techniques. From there I got more and more into different forms of electronic music, which I started experimenting with more alongside recording my songs with drum machines and whatever. Now I'm primarily making my own electronic stuff as opposed to recording demos at home to show my band. It's fun, addictive and educational, just zoning in with your DAW and seeing what you can manipulate and mess with to get these interesting textures, sounds and rhythms that go far beyond my main diet of rock-derived music.

Edit: major props to Jazzyspoon and StonerMcWeedSmoke's 'Lounge/Lo-Fi Music - The Journey', for inspiring me at just the right moment to commit to making electronic music

Last edited by MBoost; 15-09-2013 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: additional infomation
MBoost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to MBoost
Jazzyspoon (22-03-2014)
Old 14-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #53
djimma2ure
Regular Freak
djimma2ure is currently spamming hard
Singapore
MC Status: 10

i think it was last year when i was when i've just started listening to house music. The first song that really got me inspired was Afrojack's "Bangduck". After that I sort of earned Fl studio and how it works. Was pretty hard tho but i kept practicing and got better at it. Now im only 16 and im still learning new things in Fl so yeah there's my story
djimma2ure is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 01:35 AM   #54
ttime
Minor Glitch
ttime will become famous soon enough
Milwaukee

For me it started in 2006 when MSTRKRFT had just started (I was a huge Death from Above 1979 fan at the time) and I started listening to house music more...my best friend had Acid on his computer so sometimes after jamming with our band we'd mess around with loops. Eventually I got more serious about it and started using Ableton, and I got into ambient/downtempo a lot more instead of dance music.
ttime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:26 PM   #55
Khasai
Regular Freak
Khasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to behold
Daly City
MC Status: 710

I just started this year, a few months ago, at age 32. I've had an on and off relationship with making music my whole life. I played recorder as a child, clarinet in middle school, in highschool I tried to learn guitar but I got discouraged by a friend who music seemed to come much more naturally to. He had a band and they had a CD and I was never going to succeed at this stuff. Later on I tried to learn a little piano, and messed around composing music in Org Maker, which was the program the guy who made Cave Story used to make the music, but that never went anywhere.

I went to college to get a degree in English and Literature and put making music down for a while (though this was the period I really developed a taste for listening to music, and especially electronic music). After getting my degree I decided that actually I wanted to be a visual artist, so I got a job as an Administrative Assistant at a crappy company and I went to community college to learn to draw and paint. Eventually I quit my job and starting taking art classes full time, and then burnt myself out trying to take on to much.

I struggled to try and find freelance work as an artist, and ended up having to get a retail job, which I transitioned into a maintenance job I held down for 4 years. Then just last year I quit that to try and make a living doing art again. Now I've been unemployed for about a year, slowly starving to death and straining my relationship with my fiance.

Meanwhile, in September of last year my fiance got a Ukulele in Hawaii to try and learn it. I dug out some acoustic guitars I'd inherited from my father and started playing again. I found the resources online were so much more abundant than when I was in highschool, and I made pretty quick progress with learning to play and improvise. It also just meant a ton to be able to express myself emotionally in a direct way, just me interacting with an instrument. Once I started to learn music theory I had to get a keyboard, and once I got a keyboard (this March), I had to try hooking it up to a DAW. Then I started to see that all of the sounds I loved from electronic music were within my reach. Now, like an insane person, I've found I want nothing more than to pour myself into this and attempt to make something of it or die trying.
Khasai is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Khasai
A.M (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 09:40 AM   #56
Deadly Rhythm
Analog Lurker
Deadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond repute
Norfolk
MC Status: 2060

When I first heard Burial, that was it for me. Blew.my.tiny.mind. Ive been in bands as a drummer for the last 15 years. I mostly listened to Post Punk/Hardcore until my mid 20s. From that point onwards my musical tastes just went all over the show. Ethiopian Jazz was a nice discovery haha. But anyways, I was at a house party and it was at that point of the night where the music starts to get serious. A friend put on Burial amongst Jon Hopkins, Fortet and Boards etc. Well, my goodness. I was totally in love, to a point the track I heard gave me goosebumps. I left a band this January that I was in for 7-8 years and this April, I started my first ever track electronically. It was terrible.
Deadly Rhythm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Deadly Rhythm
A.M (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #57
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11478504

Fatboy Slim - "In Heaven" basically was the seed of what got me into music production. I always was technically inclined, and used to record skits with my brother on this kid's cassette recorder with microphone. I also was in the school band, and also had taken piano lessons when I was about 6. In 8th grade my brother woke me up one night after falling asleep watching him play a video game playing In Heaven, and I thought it was really cool, and ended up getting You've Come a Long Way, Baby, which introduced me to a world of sound and music I had never heard before. DJ's, sampling, tb-303's... I was hooked from that day on. After a while, a friend introduced me to this software Sonic Foundry Acid (later would be Sony, and now Magix), and we worked together briefly as a producer duo called Cult Classic making tracks from stock loops, put them on cds and sold them to people at school (this when I was a freshman in high school). Eventually I wanted to try it out myself, so I ended up getting my own copy, and making my own music.

I also was in a surf-punk band called Xerophim as the drummer, along with a couple of friends (one previously from Cult Classic). I also one day at a used music instrument shop ended up buying my first pair of turntables, a couple of belt-drive Geminis, I believe, with a mixer. Started learning about that, and still kept up making music on my own. In my senior year in high school, my friends and I started having impromptu jam sessions, smoking weed and hanging out at my friend's apartment attached to his parent's house, where we could be loud and do what we liked essentially. Someone would show up, we'd smoke some weed, someone else would show up, another person, we'd smoke ome weed, then just start jamming out something. We'd always be over there, hanging out, and would always bust out hand drums and guitars or whatever, really, and make music. Really awesome jam sessions, I feel I learned a lot about playing music with people from those times.

After this, I started really getting to know Acid and started using Sound Forge, and about this time is where I moved on from Fatboy Slim (or advanced, perhaps?) to Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Squarepusher, Autechre, all those guys. Was reading lots about studio recording history, sampling, early music-concrete and making music by cutting tape and making sounds with synthesizers. Went off to college for Music Technology. And I want to continue doing big things in music and audio!

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:41 AM   #58
Lotus_Jewel
Radial Developer
Lotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond repute
Earth
MC Status: 2810

for me, in the mid 90's i came across techno and the rave scene, I was 15... and hooked on the music. reason being, it just strongly reverberates within... that was 20 years ago this summer... i play guitar, piano, drums, but to no effort of my own, i never was in a band, never took music lessons, but had a music teacher who cared. listening to good music is helpful too. i love to dance. i didnt really decide to be a producer though, i just always had this attitude where its a hobby and i dont finish anything... i never put my music out for share. until im ready. if i have it. and i know i have it, im just getting myself there now. ive been an artist my whole life, a creator, visionary, a person with a wild imagination and a can do attitude. ive been into the future and to the past... i am now coming aware to my true self and this id like to put in my music and graphic art, and im so glad ive been waiting... for me to understand it all before it put it all together.
Lotus_Jewel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:20 AM   #59
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2960

Started 10 years ago. Friends and I were enjoying the summers, house music everywhere, so yea, thats when I fell in love in house.
Downloaded Reason 2 was it then? I dont remember.

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #60
maricelu
IDMf's latest spammer
maricelu will become famous soon enoughmaricelu will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

For me, it was more of an experiment. I simply wondered how people make music and decided to look up online "create music", then somehow stumbled on Magix Music Maker - a pretty limited DAW that taught me some things I recon. That was at the age of 13, I'm 24 now.

Advertisements

maricelu is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote