Where should I start?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Kadence
Regular Freak
Kadence will become famous soon enoughKadence will become famous soon enough
The magical land of Equestria
MC Status: 110
Where should I start?

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't notice Anodyne's "Getting Started" thread and just went ahead and created my own, so you don't have to respond to this. Thanks for the help though.

Hi all,
I'm 16, from Australia, and I've been wanting to learn how to make my own electronic music for quite some time now.
I've done a short (like REALLY short) introductory course to Ableton Live and I'm currently doing a TAFE course in sound engineering.

I'm just having trouble finding my ground is all. I know how to use Ableton's in-built drum machine. I know how add a sidechain compression effect. But... that's pretty much it.
I'm sure most of you can relate to that initial overwhelming feeling you got when you looked at a DAW for the first time. There's just so much stuff, where do you start?
It seems like most people here say they learnt by just dicking around on their DAW for hours whilst occasionally looking up stuff on the internet, but whenever I do that I just catch myself messing around with presets and initialisation sounds on Sylenth, and it just feels like I'm getting nowhere.

It's not that I'm trying to avoid going the hard yards by just asking what the quickest way to learn is, and if there really is no better way than just teaching yourself then so be it! But I was just hoping someone with experience may be able to guide me in the right direction, so that I might at least have a rough idea of what the hell I'm doing... and what I should be doing next.

So shoot! What advice can you bestow upon me? What tutorials should I be watching? What plug-ins would you recommend I get? Anything! Just send me on my way!

Last edited by Kadence; 16-04-2013 at 03:39 AM..

Advertisements

Kadence is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: deadmau5 - Random Album Title
Old 10-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
Ap0C552
Digital Surfer
Ap0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to behold
Winnipeg
MC Status: 848
Re: Where should I start?

Watch my video
And then watch a bunch more.
Ap0C552 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
KrisM
Ghostly
KrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond repute
TX
MC Status: 7964

Don't buy anything else. Sylenth is plenty of synth for someone learning, and you can grab freebies if you just have to, but don't let yourself get sucked in to plugin overload just starting out.

Tom Cosm's tutorials are a great resource for learning things in Ableton Live.
KrisM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
spisnok
Analog Lurker
spisnok will become famous soon enoughspisnok will become famous soon enough

Hmm... I'm still kinda new in all this. But If I could go back in time, this is what I would have done: Learn everything you can on the DAW you're using. All short commands, all that stuff. Search for "essential training (your DAW).That is a huge time saver. Then pick up a book/course on basic music theory. Nothing fancy, but you need to know how to make chord progressions, some scales and then you're pretty much good to go!
spisnok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
Kadence
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ap0C552 View Post
Watch my video

And then watch a bunch more.
Thanks Scott, that was a helpful tutorial. Nicely edited, well paced and very informative. I'm going to start playing around with the devices you were using in your demonstrations. Cheers!
Old 11-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #6
Kadence
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
Don't buy anything else. Sylenth is plenty of synth for someone learning, and you can grab freebies if you just have to, but don't let yourself get sucked in to plugin overload just starting out.

Tom Cosm's tutorials are a great resource for learning things in Ableton Live.
Alright, I'll just stick with Sylenth for now then, probably best that I get my head around one VST to start off with. And I'll definitely check out some of Tom Cosm's tutorials, thanks for the referral!
Old 11-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
Kadence
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by spisnok View Post
Hmm... I'm still kinda new in all this. But If I could go back in time, this is what I would have done: Learn everything you can on the DAW you're using. All short commands, all that stuff. Search for "essential training (your DAW).That is a huge time saver. Then pick up a book/course on basic music theory. Nothing fancy, but you need to know how to make chord progressions, some scales and then you're pretty much good to go!
I already know of a few simple keyboard commands, and I do have a textbook on musical theory lying around somewhere, so I'll look into that. I don't know why I never thought of searching for something like "Ableton essentials", I can imagine that would come up with some handy results. Anyway, cheers friend!
Old 16-04-2013, 01:44 AM   #8
Aniol
Soundscaper
Aniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to behold
Huntington Beach
MC Status: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadence View Post
Hi all,
I'm 16, from Australia, and I've been wanting to learn how to make my own electronic music for quite some time now.
I've done a short (like REALLY short) introductory course to Ableton Live and I'm currently doing a TAFE course in sound engineering.

I'm just having trouble finding my ground is all. I know how to use Ableton's in-built drum machine. I know how add a sidechain compression effect. But... that's pretty much it.
I'm sure most of you can relate to that initial overwhelming feeling you got when you looked at a DAW for the first time. There's just so much stuff, where do you start?
It seems like most people here say they learnt by just dicking around on their DAW for hours whilst occasionally looking up stuff on the internet, but whenever I do that I just catch myself messing around with presets and initialisation sounds on Sylenth, and it just feels like I'm getting nowhere.

It's not that I'm trying to avoid going the hard yards by just asking what the quickest way to learn is, and if there really is no better way than just teaching yourself then so be it! But I was just hoping someone with experience may be able to guide me in the right direction, so that I might at least have a rough idea of what the hell I'm doing... and what I should be doing next.

So shoot! What advice can you bestow upon me? What tutorials should I be watching? What plug-ins would you recommend I get? Anything! Just send me on my way!
Hey man PM me!
Aniol is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

I'd suggest not even using any VST's right now. Build your own basic drum kits using Simpler and your own recorded samples / some free drum samples, or even just use some of the drum kits that come with Ableton: Instruments -> Drums -> Kits. For the synth - Operator is great & it's laid out in a straightforward manner and you can get good sounds from it. Also check out Analog.

So start with your drum kit, load up Operator for some bass, and then use another instance of Operator or Analog for some pads or even just simple sounds. Then build a very basic track - don't worry about how many bars each section is - just get a basic idea down & start using the program. There comes a point with most software where things just 'click', and by focusing on Ableton and it's devices and by building simple tracks, things will hopefully 'click' sooner rather than later.

Advertisements

scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote