For Everyone Who Asks for Help With Theory
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 01-02-2017, 12:10 PM   #1
TheStumps
Microknight
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 2510
For Everyone Who Asks for Help With Theory

I originally put this together for someone I know when they came asking for an explanation of theory.
I did this because I looked around for resources for them, and I found them all rather crappy at explaining the simplicity behind the complex nature of everything.

So I decided to build this tool to serve as both a tool and learning device in one.
This doesn't teach theory in the regular way. Instead, it's intended to teach the core governing principles behind scale, chord, and progression theory (usually what most mean when they ask for help with "theory").

The Introduction tab is worth a read.
The Main tab is where you set everything up and find your scales up and down, as well as your chords.
The Piano Roll tab allows you to apply chords which you set up on the Main tab to see where on a set of keys (or midi) the notes align in octave position to accomplish a given chord selected.
The Interval Map tab (my personal favorite component) allows you to select a note from your scale and see which notes are what interval (or degree) away from that note, and allows you to do this in sequence over 2 bars (if you were to assume quarter note timing; and there's a tad extra room instead of a strict 2 bar limit). This allows you to play around with melody options by degree selection, and if you already have a melody, you could work out a secondary complimentary melody by putting in the note of the first melody's note to see interval options for the second melody.

The last two tabs are strictly reference related, but probably the most beneficial.
The Major-Minor Semitone Comparison tab shows a highly detailed and complex relationship between Major and Minor scales, but showing an incredibly simple relationship of intervals whereby there is a central line shared between both Major and Minor of intervals 2 2 1 2 2. All that changes between Major and Minor is that Major you preface this pattern with 2 1, and in Minor you postscript this pattern with 2 1 instead of prefacing it.
For those who don't know, a semitone is the distance from any key on a piano, for example, and the next key (regardless if it's white or black). There are 12 keys from a given note to the same note up or down the keyboard, and so you can also say there are 12 semitones.
This differs from degree, which are a way of speaking of distance within a scale (scale being a pick of - typically - any 5 or 7 non-repeating notes).

And finally, the final tab is the Semitone Pattern tab.
This tab outlines the underlining governing patterns of a variety of common scales.
It does this by showing how all relate in one way or another to an alignment and augmentation of 2 2 1 2 2 interval patterning, and that when you depart into pentatonic and other variations, the same principle is found consistent that the total sum of intervals will tally to 12, and that Minor and Major are inversions of each other in each case.
There is also an additional way of looking at this added which is the Symmetrical variation, which shows which scales are direct mirrors of which other scales and runs them all together like an inkblot made on a folded napkin.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

If you have questions about how to get the file, ask.
If you have questions in general about how to use it, ask.

Last edited by TheStumps; 01-05-2017 at 02:16 AM..

Advertisements

TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:52 PM   #2
AudioPuzzle
Learning The Ropes
AudioPuzzle is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10
Re: For Everyone Who Asks for Help With Theory

Very interesting method. Going to try that out later. For those that don't know Ravenspiral music theory guide, check it out.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
AudioPuzzle is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:18 PM   #3
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269440008
Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,597 Posts

Was there meant to be a link?

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:27 PM   #4
Bergnermd
Knob Twiddler
Bergnermd is a splendid one to beholdBergnermd is a splendid one to beholdBergnermd is a splendid one to beholdBergnermd is a splendid one to beholdBergnermd is a splendid one to beholdBergnermd is a splendid one to beholdBergnermd is a splendid one to behold
Wisconsin
MC Status: 760

I'm going to recommend a book written by Richard Sorce. It is called Music Theory for the Musical Professional. It is 70 bucks on google play and fully explains music theory. A lot of people think music theory ends at chords and scales but that is really the beginning, it goes a lot deeper into relationships, progressions, melodys, cadences, four part writing, and why things sound musical compared to things that don't.

------------------
Bergnermd is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:28 PM   #5
TheStumps
Microknight
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
Was there meant to be a link?
Check again; if you don't see it, PM me.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:17 AM   #6
TheStumps
Microknight
Alaska

Fixed the link now that I can post links!

Advertisements