Interesting Issue - MIDI Connection breaking
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 13-12-2016, 04:47 PM   #1
Sobia6464
Soundwave Mangler
Sobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1360
Interesting Issue - MIDI Connection breaking

So without going too much into detail and making this a long list of hardware that I feel is irrelevant - I have a MIDI keyboard and a PC. Crazy setup right? Where I have them placed, the USB cable that came with the MIDI keyboard does not reach the PC. No big deal, got a USB extension cable from good ol' Walmart.

Here's the issue. The keyboard randomly disconnects (still powered on). By that I mean, I push a key - no sound. Sometimes it will cut off in the middle of me actually hitting a key and then it gives me just a constant key press until I either mute it in the DAW or disconnect it. Disconnecting it from the adapter and reconnecting it fixes the issue. Also seems to be dependent on how many notes I press in Xx amount of time.

Currently going to buy a beefier USB (this time 3.0) extension cable and hopefully that fixes it. Has anyone else ever had a similar issue? What are your thoughts?

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
Its not the vst that makes the man but the man, that makes the vst.
Sobia6464 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8533180
Thanked 6,845 Times in 4,873 Posts
Re: Interesting Issue - MIDI Connection breaking

With no additional info my guesses range from bad physical connections, to software issues, to a broken MIDI keyboard.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 05:00 PM   #3
Sobia6464
Soundwave Mangler
Sobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
With no additional info my guesses range from bad physical connections, to software issues, to a broken MIDI keyboard.
It's a Novation Impulse 61-key controller that had not problems up until I moved (thus the reallocation of space around me and me requiring an extension). DAW is ableton and the drivers for the device still seem to be functional and running up until I disconnect it. I will try the new cable to see if that fixes it since it is the cheapest option. But I've never heard of this issue happening to anyone else. Hopefully that's all it is.

Thanks for your insight. I always think the worst so those crossed my mind as well. In either case I should have an answer on Thursday (2 day shipping). I can update this thread with the results of that when that time comes. For now I was just curious if it happened to anyone else.

------------------
Quote:
Old 13-12-2016, 05:59 PM   #4
Sons of Achab
Radial Developer
Sons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond repute
In a beautiful place out in the country
MC Status: 2860

I had some problems with USB extension cables at work, USB is not suited to long distances. Maybe you can try with a "real" midi cable. I have one that is 4m long and I never had a problem with it.

------------------
Sons of Achab is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Sons of Achab
relic (13-12-2016)
Old 13-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8533180
Thanked 6,845 Times in 4,873 Posts

Ive never heard of length being an issue with USB, but could be true. USB is kinda crappy sometimes. There may be a problem with physical connectivity between two manufacturers' cords. Ive always just spent the money to buy a cord that is long enough. Right now my Analog 4 is connected to my computer with a 12 foot USB cable and I dont have issues running a much more complex piece of hardware and its in-DAW software.

Sending simple MIDI signals shouldn't really be a software issue, but you never know. I would also recommend trying a MIDI cable if your keyboard has a port. Most dont these days it seems.

Could it be a problem of what version of USB the is on the keyboard and which is on the computer?

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 10:39 PM   #6
Grain Bastard
IDMf Artist
Grain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MC
MC Status: 15878

Are you powering it via USB? Try a power adapter if the new longer cable is still an issue.

------------------
Grain Bastard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Grain Bastard
Numerical (14-12-2016)
Old 14-12-2016, 06:09 AM   #7
Vault O)))
Cumplete Retard
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 37660

Those extensions usually do this to me all the time. I've solved the problem by just using a longer USB cable on multiple occasions.

------------------
Totally not clickbait this time, I swear
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 10:58 AM   #8
Sons of Achab
Radial Developer
Sons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond repute
In a beautiful place out in the country
MC Status: 2860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Bastard View Post
Are you powering it via USB? Try a power adapter if the new longer cable is still an issue.
The issues with long USB cables is because of the 5V supply in it. It doesn't work if your cable is more than 5m. If you are not powering your keyboard via USB the problem is not here. But if you are, what you can try is to add a powered USB hub between two cables. But then you will probably have latency problems... So yeah, the power adapter is the best solution.

------------------
Sons of Achab is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 03:39 PM   #9
Sobia6464
Soundwave Mangler

Update: Been using it all weekend without issues since replacing the USB extension cable. Fairly certain that was it, but it's only been a few days.

Advertisements

------------------
Quote: