What stops you giving listening booth feedback?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 05-16-2016, 01:47 AM   #1
Benwaa
What stops you giving listening booth feedback?

Not a moan thread, but more of a collection of advice to maximise others chances of getting that all important LB feedback we all so crave one here.

For me there's a few things that stop me listening/feeding back.

Main one is I just don't have so much time on my hands any more and I work with music, so that free time I have I sometimes like it to be music free rather than critically listening to tunes some more that day. That can't be avoided by anyone.

What else keeps me from commenting is the genre in the tag. If it's something daft or not even there I tend to not bother as it doesn't feel like you're serious enough about your tune for me to be either. Sounds harsh I know, and that's not the active thought that goes through my head, but it is the general underlying reaction reason to those threads.

The next one is that you're not using an embedded player, no one wants to click one more time than they need to, so if your track is online it really should be embedded. If you're using some service we don't embed here, then in this day and age what the hell is up with you you aren't using soundcloud or hearthis or even YouTube to host your track? although fwiw I fucking hate YouTube for checking out tracks

Another thing that stops me is if I see you e never left feedback in the whole time you've been a member in the forum. Honestly, I've alt accounts that I haven't logged into for 5 years that have left more LB feedback than some of you chasing it. this is the biggest one of all for most users too, we all want the love so if you're not prepared to share it, you aren't going to get any. You'll notice that the most active LB users who leave feedback for others are the ones whose LB threads go on for more than a page

So, with all that said. Post your reasons you don't personally be more listening booth active, or if you want to post tips on how to get more feedback then please do to!

Advertisements

Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:01 AM   #2
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 20710
Re: What stops you giving listening booth feedback?

1 genre, I won't listen to trap, whatever that is ( just an example).
2 presentation, like you I guess, if it's not written up right I pass as well. See #1, can't tell the genre if it's not written.
3 if I don't feel like it, super subjective I guess but sometimes I just fart around on the couch on my iPad and if it doesn't grab my attention I don't bother I guess.

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
Old 05-16-2016, 02:24 AM   #3
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
1 genre, I won't listen to trap, whatever that is ( just an example).
2 presentation, like you I guess, if it's not written up right I pass as well. See #1, can't tell the genre if it's not written.
3 if I don't feel like it, super subjective I guess but sometimes I just fart around on the couch on my iPad and if it doesn't grab my attention I don't bother I guess.
Yeah the iPad one is another for me. I browse the forum a lot on mine, I'd never attempt listen to a track critically on it either tbh
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:56 AM   #4
White Noise
Digital Surfer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 11760

I've made the mistake of listening to tunes a few times outside of my normal environment (headphones) and I make it a point to not do that anymore so that I can always give feedback if I have something to say. A lot of the time, I find I don't have anything to say that could help. I try to keep it fair and objective, and if I have a problem with the track, I like to explain how I would go about fixing it instead of just telling someone that their "bass is weak" or whatever. A large portion of the time, I would either be repeating someone else or I otherwise don't think that I can provide helpful feedback.
I also take a look at track descriptions and if it's something just along the lines of "check out the new track I dropped last week" where it feels like they're looking for plays on a finished track rather than feedback on current/future work, I'll avoid that.
I think I have an issue with my own stuff in the LB because I don't put stuff up there too often and I haven't nailed down a sound that people can expect from me yet, and then I leave a wall of text of my own opinion on my track which I guess leaves people in a box when they're trying to come up with something to say. So I think for the best chance of getting feedback:
1: Embed it, seriously. I'm not going to download something, and I might click a link if your text blurb has me curious, but if it's embedded, I'll typically start playing and then read whatever's there.
2: Proper genre tags (ooh, another thing that I struggle with, not that I think I'm above genres, I just don't know where I fall, kinda goes back to not having a sound nailed down yet).
3: Give people something to read, some sort of basis of what you'd like to know ("any and all feedback welcome" would suffice better than nothing at all).
4: Don't box people in. I think if you tell people too much about what you think, it could come off as "I'm not going to listen to what you say unless it aligns with my own opinion of the track".
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
Old 05-16-2016, 04:00 AM   #5
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
MC Status: 67224
Thanked 1,093 Times in 669 Posts

The lack of "idm" related tracks. I'm not a very big fan of entire genres such as dubstep, house, made-up genre names, which seems to be the majority.... While I do like a few artists here and there I usually find myself dissapointed. Would be nice to hear more idm related tracks, here on idmf.

Listening to a track in the lb seems to make people/me look for flaws, thus taking away from the experience of hearing new music and instead only being scanned for errors, levels, etc. Not to mention the plethora of speakers, headphones, blah blah blah that change the spectrum so much. I can remember quite a lot of "listening on my laptop speakers so I'll do my best" comments. I don't really want to give adjustments based on my setups, maybe theirs are better? Maybe their setup sucks, either way, I can see that driving a novice mad with frustration, maybe trashing a track altogether.

Trying to find somebody who truly works on their track with criticism given. I feel there is a major percentage of people who aren't looking for help, just a high five. Honestly I'd be ok with that too if they didn't troll it up to sound like they needed help and then reject it when they got it.

Users that post constantly. No sort of treat there, even with the artists I like a lot.

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:32 AM   #6
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6892609
Thanked 3,268 Times in 1,985 Posts

If I gave my honest feedback, people would cry. Then there's a fifty fifty chance that... oh never mind.

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:19 AM   #7
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 743999141
Thanked 6,634 Times in 4,153 Posts

For me stuff that I like is so few and far between I've basically given up looking unless I'm really bored and have some time on my hands.

I'm surprised more people don't remember/check who liked their last tune in the LB and actually start making their own mailing list of people here so that they can let them know they have a new track up via pm.
Maybe that's next-level spam I dunno, depends how much you liked their music I suppose.

Seems like a legit no-brainer if you're trying to forge a following though, but nah fuck that, let the listener do all the work in searching out every single track you ever make and post at random instead because you're such a cool artist.

Also, I prefer longer bodies of work. A collection of tracks, an EP or an LP that puts me somewhere for several tracks.
LB doesn't tend to offer that.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:21 AM   #8
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 141410
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,710 Posts

First, I dislike most of the hacky, lazy shit people come up with. People used to suck at playing instruments but they never asked around about how bad they sucked, now they make shitty quantized music and want and ego massage for it. I mean, I can tell clever, original music even if I myself personally hate it... but a lot of what people post is just utter bullshit.

I won't even listen to a "wip". LOL fuck that.

I don't feel like I need to comment on music I already find very good.

Basically, I encourage people to be fucking artists and rely on their own ability to tell how good their shit is, independently of what others might think.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:48 AM   #9
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post

I won't even listen to a "wip". LOL fuck that.

you get that the LB is there for mostly WIP tracks right? and that it's for people to help out artists and help them grow as an artist too by providing valuable feedback right? no? ok.
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #10
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse

^^ Yeah I get that and I question whether it's actually useful/beneficial in the long term or not.

You get my point? No? Ok.

Facefuckingpalm
Thanks to thom
lolirl (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #11
Benwaa

nah i dont't get your point at all. Being that the forum is all about making electronic music, and even more so - how to. then any encouragement given to noobs, pros, guys in the middle etc is all beneficial. everyone needs a bit of encouragement from their peers, and due to the nature of the music people make that come on here, some of us don't have a close peer network as others may do. some live in the middle of nowhere, others in cities. the great thing is because this forum is a community minded place and the internet allowing it's world wideness, there's a peer group right here that others can turn to for that feedback and support, and that's fucking amazing to be honest.
We all need and like hearing others thoughts on our output, that's maybe part ego but it's also human nature to too, and what a wonderful thing it is to share and be helped to grow by embracing that very human nature. to interact with others and support and help each other grow.

What isn't constructive in any way is the attitude of "nah fuck those guys who don't make anything near as awesome as i hear in my head, who the fuck do they think they are with their generic 4 to the floor beats coming on here asking for validation and constructive help from people who genuinely know better than most people that share their interaction with music. if they can't have a serious word with themselves about the quality of their music, then fuck them they can struggle for all i care and i l kook down upon them for not being able to grow from a supporting community" <--- that's what everything you said says to me btw thom. you're entitled to your opinion of course, and you're entitled to act upon it how you see fit. doesn't make it any less a shit attitude towards others and people who may actually benefit form your intelligence and knowledge.

you get the point? no? ok.

monkeyjizzonyourfacepalm
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #12
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
nah i dont't get your point at all.
And that is fine.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:01 AM   #13
Benwaa

Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Benwaa
A.M (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 11:10 AM   #14
Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
Stercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42346099
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,765 Posts

Lets distill 90% of the reasons people don't give feedback into one easy sentence:

"I don't know how to give constructive feedback on music I don't like."

Giving constructive feedback is difficult. It takes quite a lot of effort to do it and I don't think many have the skill and/or can be bothered to go the extra distance for something they don't like.

------------------
This mind intentionally blank.
Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:25 AM   #15
ablabla
Minor Glitch
ablabla is a jewel in the roughablabla is a jewel in the roughablabla is a jewel in the rough
Shitcore Hate City
MC Status: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
Lets distill 90% of the reasons people don't give feedback into one easy sentence:

"I don't know how to give constructive feedback on music I don't like."

Giving constructive feedback is difficult. It takes quite a lot of effort to do it and I don't think many have the skill and/or can be bothered to go the extra distance for something they don't like.

do moderators delete threads of music they dislike?
ablabla is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:46 AM   #16
Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
Stercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42346099
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablabla View Post
do moderators delete threads of music they dislike?
Nope. But we delete threads where people are willfully ignoring the guidelines.

The listening booth is for people to get feedback and help on works in progress. It is not intended for releases or sharing whole albums. Usually stuff will get moved to where is more appropriate but patience eventually runs out and those abusing the system will after a while just get their threads deleted.

------------------
This mind intentionally blank.
Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Stercogburn
lolirl (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 11:55 AM   #17
ablabla
Minor Glitch
ablabla is a jewel in the roughablabla is a jewel in the roughablabla is a jewel in the rough
Shitcore Hate City
MC Status: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
Nope. But we delete threads where people are willfully ignoring the guidelines.

The listening booth is for people to get feedback and help on works in progress. It is not intended for releases or sharing whole albums. Usually stuff will get moved to where is more appropriate but patience eventually runs out and those abusing the system will after a while just get their threads deleted.

ah, cool.. that i understand (and i didn't really think the mods were idiots.. this is a big forum i realise)....

i did up a complete album. so ..

ablabla is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #18
fidelium
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,196 Times in 1,770 Posts

out of style and less streamlined website format in general. I have to click too many times to get to a new track.

in a way though this method forces listeners to be more active and not treat the LB as background music. anytime I go in there I find myself obligated to focus. I'll take less listeners and better feedback over the alternative I guess.

also I don't relate to many people here on the music share level anymore. I look in there and see a bunch of names of people I don't recognize. that's my own issue, I've been here too long and the place has changed so much and so fast I just feel disconnected from that part of the forum.

and sometimes I just don't feel like it.

------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
You need more hair on those balls, son.
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to fidelium
lolirl (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #19
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
east bumfuck
MC Status: 329113150
Thanked 1,453 Times in 1,012 Posts

I was lax for awhile.but i have been in there quite a lot lately.
Roo brings up a good point for me.some tracks (quite a few)i just dont know how to comment.
either the genre does nothing for me or it is just plain bad.but even some bad tracks can be fixed.
that is what the lb is for.it is difficult to tell someone their track is less than adequate,or just really bad.
i have made some shit tracks myself so.....anyway,i personally am making a point of giving better feedback.technical stuff is hard for me but i try,my ears tell me what to do,so....
meh.us oldtimers do need to give a little more feedback,when time permits.
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:20 PM   #20
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablabla View Post
ah, cool.. that i understand (and i didn't really think the mods were idiots.. this is a big forum i realise)....

i did up a complete album. so ..

so.... off topic much? [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

Thanks Reply With Quote