The 3,5,7 Method
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 15-12-2015, 01:25 AM   #1
Sacarious
Soundscaper
Sacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver Island
MC Status: 3310
The 3,5,7 Method

So.. I have noticed a trend when it comes to a very common method of writing that uses the sequence
(hypothetically) Eminor, D and C
You can find it in a million songs, from the trooper, killers, runnin down a dream, lots of metal songs from the 70s and 80s use it.

Using this method allows you to use a "round" synth that will repeat the same loop over and over while the chord progression plays.

Perfect example of this is right here in The Trooper right after the intro
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Does anyone use this method for writing? I have noticed that I kind of resort to it sometimes because its just so damn easy to get some emotion out of a track.
But i fear its closed me into a musical box.

There are a few variations of it with suspended notes and what nots, but the basic process is quite simple.
Any takers?

Advertisements

------------------
Reason-AcidPro-Recycle

TUNEZ
Sacarious is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 02:20 AM   #2
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6899959
Thanked 3,415 Times in 2,065 Posts
Re: The 3,5,7 Method

It's not very original or interesting.

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
Sacarious (15-12-2015)
Old 15-12-2015, 02:36 AM   #3
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1530527
Thanked 1,846 Times in 1,192 Posts

I use this a lot, but a lot of my music incorporates a lot of drones.

Many of my drones come in the form of pedal tones on the guitar and from repeated (often looped guitar) melodic elements.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
Sacarious (15-12-2015)
Old 15-12-2015, 03:46 AM   #4
Sacarious
Soundscaper
Sacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
It's not very original or interesting.
No its not, to producers lol
but you have to admit, there is a TON of different things you can do to make it interestingm in my opinion anyway haha.

------------------
Reason-AcidPro-Recycle

TUNEZ
Old 16-12-2015, 03:09 AM   #5
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6899959
Thanked 3,415 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacarious View Post
No its not, to producers lol
I was more getting at the fact that it's one of the first progressions you'll learn in music and thus it's ubiquitous in music at large. And yes, it is unoriginal for producers (assuming by producer you mean electronic musician) too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacarious View Post
but you have to admit, there is a TON of different things you can do to make it interestingm in my opinion anyway haha.
Not really. You can make a 3 5 7 sound interesting, sure. The way to do that is by making it not 3 5 7. But hey, if you want to sound generic and indistinguishable, 3 5 7 every day!

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 03:15 AM   #6
Sacarious
Soundscaper
Vancouver Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I was more getting at the fact that it's one of the first progressions you'll learn in music and thus it's ubiquitous in music at large. And yes, it is unoriginal for producers (assuming by producer you mean electronic musician) too.

Not really. You can make a 3 5 7 sound interesting, sure. The way to do that is by making it not 3 5 7. But hey, if you want to sound generic and indistinguishable, 3 5 7 every day!
If i posted some examples of my own songs using this, would you provide me some feedback as to what makes them not creative? This is super interesting to me. It reminds me of the three chord punk songs that got so famous back in the day lol.

------------------
Reason-AcidPro-Recycle

TUNEZ
Old 04-10-2016, 02:15 AM   #7
Jimjimmy
Minor Glitch
Jimjimmy will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Don't say you do because you don't
Jimjimmy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:49 AM   #8
Valk
Microknight
Valk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2910

It's a divergence of ideas - a music theory thing that just creeps into all music because it's a simple technique to effectively create interesting(enough) melodies

I think it's related to Triad Inversions or just some arpeggio of a common chord that makes you think 3,5,7 is fancy, have you seen the movie: 23
)

Don't just use 3,5,7
use Fibonacci, use Pi, Use a dice, Use your ears, measure your digit section lengths and use that

using a set rule for a creative exercise is counter-productive in my opinion

------------------
check out my Nest in progress
Valk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #9
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,386 Times in 1,867 Posts

can you explain to me why you call it "3 5 7 method"?

------------------
banewaker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
lol

So gay.
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to fidelium
vashima (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 11:54 AM   #10
Valk
Microknight
Valk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond repute

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

What the heck is up with your sig always showing my name?
does it show the user viewing it's name?
nice way to represent the illuminatos

------------------
Old 04-10-2016, 12:02 PM   #11
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post

What the heck is up with your sig always showing my name?
does it show the user viewing it's name?
nice way to represent the illuminatos
sorry dude, Unregistered hacked my account and now I can't change my sig

------------------
banewaker.com

Quote:
lol

So gay.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:17 PM   #12
disftiva
Learning The Ropes
disftiva will become famous soon enough
Auckland

I thought it would be 6, 5, 4 or maybe 1, 7 ,6. Being in the key of G major or E minor. Confused myself!
disftiva is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #13
fidelium
IDMf Artist
\(_o)/

if it's the key of E minor, it would technically be 1-7-6, E minor, D major, C major. trying to figure out if i'm wrong somehow. didn't listen to example.

------------------
banewaker.com

Quote:
lol

So gay.
Thanks to fidelium
vashima (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 03:53 PM   #14
disftiva
Learning The Ropes
disftiva will become famous soon enough
Auckland

Well, 3,5,7 would be the scale degrees for an E minor triad in the key of C major. That's the only thing that rings a bell with me...
disftiva is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:06 PM   #15
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25260

Lol. Of all threads to resurrect.

Uhh. 1 3 5 7? wut?

This is just a super basic chord progression that is nothing spectacular. I would call it vi - V - IV in G major. You "can" always move between adjacent chords in a key, it's called planing. When you get to the IV, going back to the VI is nbd because triads a third a part (diatonic triads, meaning in the same key) always contain two notes in common.

My advice to people worrying about this stuff is to not worry about chord theory unless you are willing to put a lot of study (and hopefully some ear training) into it. Reason being is that I see A LOT of people severely limiting themselves because they are trying to go by theory rules.

The thing is, if you write songs by farting around on a keyboard, a guitar, and a sequencer, you will write stuff that would probably take three semesters of music theory to catch up to (it took me four to actually identify most of the techniques I was using).

You will probably get more mileage out of trying a new process. For instance, you might try step recording like 30 chords and then editing it heavily. You might be surprised with what you come up with.

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:43 PM   #16
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80990480
Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,599 Posts

I'm happy I'm not the only one who went "why the fuck would you call this a 3 5 7"

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #17
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13510

Yea... with the notes he mentioned I'm a bit off on finding out what the Arabic numerals of 3 5 7 have anything do to with. Those notes are sequential any ways, why is there a number getting skipped? If anything it could be vi, V, IV in G. Or i, VII, VI in Em natural. Any who... I'm done trying to figure out what this necrobpost was all about. Also! FiD! Dope signature my friend.
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:47 PM   #18
Valk
Microknight

lol

Sorry about that
I didn't notice it's a necromancy attempt by a banned user.

------------------
Thanks to Valk
vashima (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 10:25 PM   #19
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13510

Haha, no worries dude. No need to apologize.
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to vashima
Valk (05-10-2016)
Old 21-07-2017, 05:11 AM   #20
mikejm
IDMf's latest spammer
mikejm will become famous soon enough

I don't know why anyone would call it a "3, 5, 7".
What you're describing is a vi V IV which yes, is very common in modern music.

Most common progression are probably for light stuff:

I V IV
I IV
I V vi IV

And for dark stuff

vi IV I V
vi V IV
vi I V ii
vi IV

etc.

Probably 60% of stuff on the pop/dance radio is based on some of the above listed.

That's why pop/dance songwriting is usually shit.

To be far the same is true of most punk music.

Advertisements

mikejm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mikejm
beautifulhurl (04-08-2017)