Bass vs. Dub vs. Dubstep
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

View Poll Results: Which genre do you prefer?
Bass 6 40.00%
Dubstep 5 33.33%
Dub 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2015, 09:08 AM   #1
Mystic_Guardian
Regular Freak
Mystic_Guardian will become famous soon enoughMystic_Guardian will become famous soon enough
Dunedunite Cave
MC Status: 110
Icon5 Bass vs. Dub vs. Dubstep

What is the difference between bass music, dubstep and dub music? And which of them do you prefer?

I've been listening to a bit of all 3 lately and thought I was competent to answer but I've heard a lot of conflicting descriptions and thought it would be worth discussing.

I would say bass music is like the mid point between Dubstep and DnB, having bassy sounds, with minimal percussion, whereas dubstep has very obvious modulated bass as the focus, along with a slower 'kick.. snare..' pattern. And as for dub music... slightly faster bass with more melodic elements? It's tough.

My current favourite is dub music (or my current idea of it), it just has the 'chill' vibe to it which I've been chasing a lot lately. However, it wasn't long ago that I was pumping modestep (Dubstep/brostep) wherever I went so down mind a dose of it now and then.

Last edited by Mystic_Guardian; 07-25-2015 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: Grammar error

Advertisements

Mystic_Guardian is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Band Shell - Dust March
Old 08-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #2
mike90t09
Minor Glitch
mike90t09 will become famous soon enough
Traverse City, MI
MC Status: 60
Re: Bass vs. Dub vs. Dubstep

I enjoy dub the most because of its background with reggae music. Producers using the mixing desk as an instrument, so to speak, to manipulate a song into a whole new realm. It's quite impressive really and super chill to listen to a good dub mix.

------------------
mike90t09 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:41 PM   #3
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65260
Thanked 1,305 Times in 985 Posts

seems like you invented your own definitions of the genres so i dont know how the poll is going to be useful at all.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
GabrielRamos
Microknight
GabrielRamos is a jewel in the roughGabrielRamos is a jewel in the roughGabrielRamos is a jewel in the roughGabrielRamos is a jewel in the rough
UK, Bournemouth
MC Status: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
seems like you invented your own definitions of the genres so i dont know how the poll is going to be useful at all.
Lol I agree, voted anyway for a laugh

------------------
- - - - Soundcloud - - - -

Unregistered should definitely check this track out and press [ ♥ ] & [ ↻ ] on Soundcloud
GabrielRamos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:26 AM   #5
Mystic_Guardian
Regular Freak
Mystic_Guardian will become famous soon enoughMystic_Guardian will become famous soon enough
Dunedunite Cave
MC Status: 110
Icon7 Re: Bass vs. Dub vs. Dubstep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
Genres aren't entirely objective but it's true that I may not know them properly. I did hope to learn a bit more about them in thies thread.
Mystic_Guardian is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: In Depth Melodics
Old 08-27-2015, 08:46 AM   #6
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153410
Thanked 3,068 Times in 2,151 Posts

Bass music? Is that what you play when you're fishing?
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #7
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 58260
Thanked 1,165 Times in 778 Posts

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:29 AM   #8
R1im
Learning The Ropes
R1im is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

For me, it's only dubstep, others are sub-genres
R1im is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:42 AM   #9
amalm34
Minor Glitch
amalm34 is a glorious beacon of lightamalm34 is a glorious beacon of lightamalm34 is a glorious beacon of lightamalm34 is a glorious beacon of lightamalm34 is a glorious beacon of lightamalm34 is a glorious beacon of light
Melbourne
MC Status: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1im View Post
For me, it's only dubstep, others are sub-genres

Pretty sure dubstep came about because of dub.
amalm34 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to amalm34
Nystagmus (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 09:14 PM   #10
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalm34 View Post
Pretty sure dubstep came about because of dub.
yeah, historically dub preceded dubstep. that's part of why a lot of dubstep is at 60-70 BPM. it's slow and chill. brostep came later on with the midtempo and shrill non-bassey but special effecty sounds. bands like the orb were doing dub. and mad professor like linked above. a lot of what people call dubstep in modern times is actually brostep. it's the types of sounds and other musical characteristics that make the difference. a lot of true dubstep was happening back in 2006-2010

------------------

Old 09-16-2015, 09:34 PM   #11
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 89600
Thanked 1,766 Times in 1,180 Posts

I always think of bass music as the cheesy all low bass with crappy melodies and samples like "B-B-b-b-basss!!" Bass Mekanik and Dj Magic Mike and stuff. Basstronics or something maybe?

Anywways here's a classic.

Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
Nystagmus (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 06:39 AM   #12
FTD
Ghostly
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC
MC Status: 3462105

I liked that catchy All About The Bass song that was around and never got tired of hearing it. So I guess it would have to be bass music, thank you for asking.

------------------
FTD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:03 AM   #13
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.

------------------

Old 02-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #14
SWIM_DEEP
Analog Lurker
SWIM_DEEP is a glorious beacon of lightSWIM_DEEP is a glorious beacon of lightSWIM_DEEP is a glorious beacon of lightSWIM_DEEP is a glorious beacon of lightSWIM_DEEP is a glorious beacon of light
Riga
MC Status: 460

My and some other people thoughts on bass music is that it's an umbrella term that puts dubstep and drum and bass under it, with some others along. Wiki describes it in some way.

I love all of the bass music. I love bass. Somehow leads me to love all the low frequency sound waves.

Some people call trap and southern rap instrumentals bass music

Anyway my associations with bass are UK's sounds of nice percussive breakbeat'ish beat with nice and deep modulated sine waves.

Last edited by SWIM_DEEP; 02-29-2016 at 11:49 PM..
SWIM_DEEP is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #15
Buzz BassDesign
Minor Glitch
Buzz BassDesign is a jewel in the roughBuzz BassDesign is a jewel in the roughBuzz BassDesign is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

For me any kind of bass related genre is awesome for me, but still from the 3 of them I prefer Dubstep.
Buzz BassDesign is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:16 PM   #16
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80986680
Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,555 Posts

I thought "bass music" was an umbrella term as well, and that it included d'n'b, uk garage and trap and footwork etc.
I think I'd vote Dub because to me it means a more laid-back and intricate sound. Love the good-ol' dub delay too

this one's been a favorite of mine for the past couple of months:

(also, check & contribute to the dubstep releases thread if you've got some fresh new shit to share)

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #17
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6110

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWIM_DEEP View Post
My and some other people thoughts on bass music is that it's an umbrella term that puts dubstep and drum and bass under it, with some others along. Wiki describes it in some way.
This always seemed to me to be the best way to approach it and at least the way I like to self-define it. At a more general level to avoid getting caught in the over-hair splitting mind set, but still able to communicate an aethetic or idea. Although it is a bit more general, like punk and metal relate to rock.

Before the UK bass thing happened, I use to also associate Bass music with something like:

and the more techno-bass variety:

TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:16 PM   #18
FunkMasterBrown
Bastard!!!IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222279334
Thanked 2,563 Times in 1,711 Posts

can we have a forum limit where only 1 thread like this is allowed to thrive at one time? Other wise it can lead to dangerous levels of sarcasm and cynicism build up in certain members susceptible to that kind of thing. This can inflict long term damage off allowed to reach critical levels. Please respect our weakness and moderate accordingly, thanks

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:57 AM   #19
Kozmotron
Radial Developer
Kozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

my views on what's bass, dubstep, + dub:

Bass:
https://www.beatport.com/track/nothi...-remix/5425851

Dubstep:
https://www.beatport.com/track/purpl...-remix/4481147

Dub:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvYSYOKFCbk

which I'd prefer? well I'd count out Dub, but between Bass + Dubstep I'll have to go with Dubstep.

Advertisements

Kozmotron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote

Bass vs. Dub vs. Dubstep Tags
bass, dub, dubstep, genre, modulation