Harmony and melody
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 30-06-2015, 07:14 PM   #1
masan671
Minor Glitch
masan671 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Harmony and melody

Hey guys, a question here. Do you prefer to write a melody and come up with a harmony based on the melody or do you write a harmony and pick out the notes to create a melody based on the harmony? Is there any pros and cons to either techniques? thanks guys

Advertisements

masan671 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 07:48 PM   #2
Verbee
Learning The Ropes
Verbee will become famous soon enoughVerbee will become famous soon enough
Baltimore
MC Status: 110
Re: Harmony and melody

I tend to think of things rather harmonically when I start working on something new, and add more melodic stuff in later on if I feel like I need some kind of melody in my track. I play bass though, so I'm used to thinking more about the groove than the melody. I'd say both have their various pros and cons, so it might be a good idea to try both and see what gets the best results for you.
Verbee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #3
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

both work fine.

sometimes you just want the chords first for inspiration or otherwise and you can play around that (good instruments to write on; piano, organs, strings, padish instruments can also work, make techno stabs and play around with that, or reggae skanks) there lots of ways to carry chord structure, lay down framework with this instrument and play around it.

others maybe you just have a one line melody going that you like (most instruments work well to write one liners on even vocals, bass)

Bass can play chords also ofc, play notes, make individual layers of each note, mix them to taste
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963433
Thanked 4,080 Times in 2,706 Posts

I find this type of question odd to be honest. Growing up with music my opinion is the two are more intertwined than standing alone. You could argue that playing chords is "starting out with harmony" but then I would argue that the root note of the chord is what your ears are going to hear and that would be a basic melody line. To me harmony is a more conscious decision once you get more specific with melody. The process is a ping ponging back and forth as you compose. But in general I believe harmony, even if you start with chords, is subordinate to melody.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Muse-ic
A.M (03-01-2017)
Old 30-06-2015, 10:31 PM   #5
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389798
Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,762 Posts

Improvising. In my head or with my mouth. Or playing a guitar, or playing a MIDI controller. Making melodies and harmonies over chords...or playing chords to fit the melody and harmony.
Whatever works. Both/all ways work for me.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 10:31 PM   #6
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Neither. I avoid both.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 11:43 PM   #7
makro
Minor Glitch
makro will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I started by playing drums in an alternative rock band. Mainly to fight boredom and express my feelings. I was 16 yrs old and i was bored a lot. Synths were later on, but what always inspired me was the expression of feelings. Making music is a kind of expression AND communication. You communicate your moods or on of your songs moods to the audience.
makro is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 11:59 PM   #8
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25460

good way to do it is write bass line and melody at once, flesh out chords later.
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:01 AM   #9
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 8160

Mostly get melodies from hearing things over harmony. It's all about harmony imo. It can take the same melody to so many different places.
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 10:48 AM   #10
DJyamusic
Regular Freak
DJyamusic will become famous soon enough
israel
MC Status: 60

I mostly base my melody on the harmony if I make a remix , but if I make an original trak I mostly start with the melody, because then I have more freedom to write complex and more special harmonies, when I make a remix I need to stick to the harmony,scale and melody of the song that I remix. But also when I remix, I like to play with the harmony as well to get a different harmoy from the original song....
DJyamusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Light Blending In - Solar Story
Old 14-05-2016, 09:11 AM   #11
Praxisaxis
Knob Twiddler
Praxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 5760

You can do either, or neither. If you make your melody without giving harmony a single thought, it is embedded with any number of potential harmonies. There are underlying physical and psychological reasons for that. But you don't need to know the technicalities to make a good harmony to an existing melody.

And the reverse is true. A string of harmonies, for similar reasons, have any number of implied melodies.

You can make tunes without giving any thought to melody or harmony. Starting with rhythm, texture and timbre is a great way to make electronic music. This too, for similar reasons, will have a bunch of implied harmonies and melodies, which you can either leave abstract or consciously emphasise.

------------------
-----------------------------
PRAXIS AXIS
Beatport
Here's a new tune:
Praxisaxis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Praxisaxis
Crude_beats (19-05-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #12
Renthebathroom
Renthebathroom is a jewel in the roughRenthebathroom is a jewel in the roughRenthebathroom is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Yes I also think harmonically in general (in a sort of modal harmony, Debussy is one of my favorite composer) with block chords that kinda blend harmony and melody together. At least the musicians (like Bill Evans) and composer who proceded that way are amongst my favorite musician and maybe their influence can sometime be perceveid in my electronic music.
Renthebathroom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:37 PM   #13
BlindfoldKnobs
Minor Glitch
BlindfoldKnobs will become famous soon enoughBlindfoldKnobs will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by masan671 View Post
Hey guys, a question here. Do you prefer to write a melody and come up with a harmony based on the melody or do you write a harmony and pick out the notes to create a melody based on the harmony? Is there any pros and cons to either techniques? thanks guys
It's hard to come up with an original melody out of the blue. Usually you'll start looping a chord sequence and playing melodies on top of it; at some point something will come out that is original enough, but it can take days or weeks to get it finalized.
BlindfoldKnobs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:44 PM   #14
TheStumps
Radial Developer
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 2910

I'm more in line with Muse-ic in thought; that both influence each other and you often bounce back and forth.
On the other hand, if I have a tune pop into my head, it's likely a phrase of a melody and then I go plop that melody down, then find the backing for it, and then I circle back to the melody to see if any adjustments in the melody would benefit the movement of the backing so that the backing isn't just plotting along without dynamics.

One of the faults to watch out for in starting with a melody and then circling everything around that melody is a harmony and backing that is bland because it's only computationally present to support the melody like scaffolding. So if you do start with the melody, make sure to double-check the harmony and backing afterwards without the melody on to ensure that you don't end up with a bland background/accompaniment.

Advertisements

TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote