Future of the netlabel
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Your Music

IDMf Netlabel

The Studio

Community Center

Music By Genre

Groups

Old 06-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
Benwaa
Icon4 Future of the netlabel

Okay, so it's been a while since i started to have a major hand in the label and with so many changes behind the scenes and getting to grips with how things work, i feel i'm finally at a place where i know how everything works on the administrative level.

Anyway, it's at this point i want to throw it more open to you, the IDMf community. because those years ago when perm and fid and stu started this thing there was much more of a community involvement with it all that i feel has been lost somewhat, which to me is never what the label was about.
So with that said it'd be good if we could start to all get more involved. And as was mentioned in the[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
i did with automageddon (if you heard it) i'd like it to be a label of "we did it and not "i" did it

this means essentially that the community would pick the music for releases, help market it, make artwork and promo videos, submit their music most importantly.

Now, the label has a pro soundcloud account, a pro dropbox for hosting of all the label releases for direct download from the label site, and also a bandcamp which is pay as much as you like.
the idea for any monies generated is to pay for these hosting services. now, any money extra at the end of the year will be given to those artists that earned it during that period. this is easy to trace as bandcamp gives full breakdowns for each track. although the monies raised haven't yet equaled what's been spent so far this year.
The money is paid out of my own paypal account as i host the dropbox folder on my own computer. and also because i've been managing the other accounts too. so i propose that i carry on doing that so as to not have anythng become unstable due to it getting passed around.

So to sum up i will be the general administrator for the label whilst acting upon only community decisions. and only in the interest of the label too. this is purely to ensure shit gets done, and on time too. and possibly settle any silly squabbles

so, what are your thoughts? what more would you like to see or do? any suggestions are welcome

also for the next open genre compilation it'd be good to assemble a judging panel of say 4 of us to pick the "winners" for it? plus we could decide on a name for the release, artwork too, promo video if anyone's interested in that etc etc

and of course anything else label related let's talk about it here

Last edited by Benwaa; 06-12-2012 at 08:59 PM..

Advertisements

Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
Effulgence
Sample Destroyer
Effulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MCEffulgence is a savage MC
Boulder, CO, USA
MC Status: 2593405
Re: Future of the netlabel

Sounds like a fantastic idea. Nice one, Ben

------------------
Effulgence is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
FunkMasterBrown
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222278834
Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,705 Posts

i really wish i had something to say but i dont. seems like you're really committed to making this enjoyable and successful for everyone... thanks!

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
nostromer
nostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MC
Salt Lake City
MC Status: 336644

excellent! ! ! !

Strong developments at foot with the IDMf community.. I really love the direction this is going in!
I'm ever more proud to be part of this artist collective.

Respect to you Benwaa for taking leadership of such a promising label and community.

Cheers everybody!

------------------
city at worlds end - technologist [neurok theme]
nostromer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
simioliolio
simioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MCsimioliolio is a savage MC
south london
MC Status: 172301

community can get their hands a little dirtier, but still under the watchful eye of benwaa. sounds perfect.

------------------
simioliolio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
bbb
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5742243

I love these forums, and I'm getting more into the artists here everyday. However and whoever gets the ability to be involved with the project, my hat's off to ya.

I like the idea completely and it would help the load being distributed among the community.

If you don't mind me asking, who would get the nods on helping? Mod/IDMf Artists? Or would it be more in our voting hands as well? The reason I ask is mentioned in the interview about the mods.

Anyways can't wait to hear and see more on this topic. Nice work and idea.

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
jVs
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105313789

In my opinion, this is how labels should operate. This idea screams success.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx3 View Post
I love these forums, and I'm getting more into the artists here everyday. However and whoever gets the ability to be involved with the project, my hat's off to ya.

I like the idea completely and it would help the load being distributed among the community.

If you don't mind me asking, who would get the nods on helping? Mod/IDMf Artists? Or would it be more in our voting hands as well? The reason I ask is mentioned in the interview about the mods.

Anyways can't wait to hear and see more on this topic. Nice work and idea.

i'd like this to be open for decision amongst us all, obviously for things like compilations it would be better to elect a judging panel each time. i would suggest a commitee type thing but peoples priorities can change pretty quickly leaving things like that difficult to ensure things get done, so i don't think that would work too well.
i guess there could be a monthly listen to demos by a slected 4, changing the people each time and working out a possinle release if there's a decent enough submission in that month. also i'd suggest to sticking to one release per month as that's a workable schedule and also ensures a good months promo for each release in advance and a months time for each release not to e overshadowed by a new one.
so yeah, any ideas or suggestions on this?
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Benwaa
bbb (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
jVs
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105313789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
i'd like this to be open for decision amongst us all, obviously for things like compilations it would be better to elect a judging panel each time. i would suggest a commitee type thing but peoples priorities can change pretty quickly leaving things like that difficult to ensure things get done, so i don't think that would work too well.
i guess there could be a monthly listen to demos by a slected 4, changing the people each time and working out a possinle release if there's a decent enough submission in that month. also i'd suggest to sticking to one release per month as that's a workable schedule and also ensures a good months promo for each release in advance and a months time for each release not to e overshadowed by a new one.
so yeah, any ideas or suggestions on this?
Is Aaron still involved with the label? I've been gone for a bit, so I am not altogether sure of "staff changes" ect..
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
Automageddon
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269438558
Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,574 Posts

Great idea Benwaa.

On average, how many submissions does IDMf netlabel receive per month?

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #11
PSvilans
PSvilans is a savage MCPSvilans is a savage MCPSvilans is a savage MCPSvilans is a savage MCPSvilans is a savage MCPSvilans is a savage MCPSvilans is a savage MCPSvilans is a savage MCPSvilans is a savage MCPSvilans is a savage MCPSvilans is a savage MC
MC Status: 47713344

I like the idea, and am always a proud IDMfer, this place made me who I am as a musician

I'd love to help out in judging or anything like that, and would definitely submit more of my music here! I guess someone still needs to hand out the jobs initially though...

But mainly just wanted to say that I agree, and good that someone's taking IDMf in some sort of direction, I have noticed the diminishing community, though I am not totally innocent myself... :/

P.

------------------
Funkaaay!
GLITCH HOP | DUBSTEP
as Stereoglyph
as PSvils
PSvilans is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #12
Shtuffe
Shtuffe is a savage MCShtuffe is a savage MCShtuffe is a savage MCShtuffe is a savage MCShtuffe is a savage MCShtuffe is a savage MCShtuffe is a savage MCShtuffe is a savage MCShtuffe is a savage MCShtuffe is a savage MCShtuffe is a savage MC
In a sauna far to the north!
MC Status: 4762457

I like it!

------------------
Quote:
...this thread needs more unicorns

Drum n Bass / Breakcore / dramaticstufforsomethingIdon'tknow
Shtuffe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #13
Benwaa

JVS - No, Aaron hasn't been involved since the bass comp was launched.

Auto - it depend. sometimes it's 8 - other times it's been none. infact it's dropped off a bit more recently, but then another mass PM is due and submissions i've noticed tend to come in a lot more when there's a release.
unfortunately - a good few are not by people on the label. or don't include any info or teir tracks have had 300 downloads and 900 plays already when they send them in.

at the moment there's a release forthcoming from triton, i'm jst awaiting the files for mastering. and the open genre comp is due for judging from the 30 of this month. beyond tha there isn't anything as one guy decided to fuck about massively and screw me over a bit by making me wait for nothing. but heh, back on track again now.

so yeah that's another thing that needs looking at. although i will say that the past three releases have been done by approaching people from the listening booth, so if anyone hears something shit hot by someone flag it up to us - i'll create a thread for that or perhaps actually it would be better to PM me with it and i can then upload it for the demo submissions group to listen to - when that's decided how that will work.
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #14
MeshNation
MeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MC
Edinburgh
MC Status: 129798497

Hey Ben, to echo the above responses, it all sounds like a pretty good plan. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that we appreciate all the work (and money from your own pocket!) that goes into making all of this work.

While I know (from previous poor exam results, thank you National Curriculum!) that I can't contribute to artwork, I'd certainly be willing to get involved with the running of the label a bit more if required. Either judging, or more in the administrative side. With my science background I'm pretty good at the analytical side, and I've recently been writing a couple of white papers on digital marketing, so I'm happy to work on that aspect of things if it helps; PM me if there's anything I can do.
MeshNation is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to MeshNation
Old 06-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #15
Benwaa

ok, well any help on the digital marketing side would be a massive help. getting bog reviews; more exposure through social media etc etc i've found that a bit difficult alone - especially the social media side of it as i just haven't the time to sit at twitter or facebook as is needed. so any advice or suggestions on those sort of fronts would be great. plus any advice on what we can all do to make thinsg work better in those environments too
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #16
Empty Reach
Empty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MC
MC Status: 297154648

I think the panel should probably be made up of IDMF artists, I know that rules a lot of us out but at least we know its people that know what their talking about
Empty Reach is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Empty Reach
RFJ (06-13-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #17
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Reach View Post
I think the panel should probably be made up of IDMF artists, I know that rules a lot of us out but at least we know its people that know what their talking about

if it's something the majority of us agree on then i'm down with that, although a lot of them aren't as active here as they used to be. but i'm cool with whatever you guys want
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #18
Empty Reach
Empty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MC
MC Status: 297154648

Just a suggestion
Empty Reach is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #19
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Reach View Post
Just a suggestion
a good one at that, so why not discus it and see if it's what we think should be done
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #20
MeshNation
MeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MC
Edinburgh
MC Status: 129798497

Quote:
ok, well any help on the digital marketing side would be a massive help. getting bog reviews; more exposure through social media etc etc i've found that a bit difficult alone - especially the social media side of it as i just haven't the time to sit at twitter or facebook as is needed. so any advice or suggestions on those sort of fronts would be great. plus any advice on what we can all do to make thinsg work better in those environments too
Great, I'll PM you with a few thoughts later, although hopefully the label can do better than bog reviews, I think we can aim higher than that!

Hey, that's 999 posts for me, must get to work on something profound for the next one!

Advertisements

MeshNation is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote