Inspire me to make tracks through new techniques
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Techno Techno Techno Techno Techno

Old 21-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6660
Inspire me to make tracks through new techniques

Lately it seems like this room has become a listening only area. While there are some great tracks, discussing how to make techno is also on my agenda. So... I want to know about simple, but open ended techniques for arriving at interesting sounds, layers, and loops.

So for example, recently I created an interesting bass sound by:
  • mixing 4 sine waves so that I got a beat frequency through the interaction of out of tune waves (in several cases using larger intervals + detune)
  • I then re-sampled the output so that a few wobbles fit a 1/4 note
  • Though not necessary I then added some high end through distortion
I am sure that this recipe could be repeated numerous times resulting in all kinds of different wobbly, growly, and watery low-end sludge.

Advertisements

TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TL072
thirrsty (08-04-2013)
Old 23-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Inspire me to make tracks through new techniques

bump!

Is there no one actually producing techno here?
Old 29-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
Budlust
Analog Lurker
Budlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to all
MC Status: 610

One nice easy technique which can change up your samples or clips is modulating the volume of the clip or sample that you only hear it every 1/8th or 1/16th or whatever speed you want it like this.

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
Another easy trick is to automate the play action of your clips in ableton. You make a number of different clips in one lane and you can automate how often they will play like this.

Select all the clips by shift clicking them. Press this button...

Code:
Then select the L highlighted in blue and the box highlighted in red and select other. The numbers above this box is where you choose how long it will play for before switching.

Code:
Hope these can help you
Budlust is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Budlust
TL072 (31-03-2013)
Old 31-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
TL072
Master of the LFO

I am certainly not the first to point this out (probably learnt this from the forum), but if you want really interesting atmospheric samples, using this library, you can slow down a sample to 20x its original speed without altering the pitch (though that is good too).

http://breakfastquay.com/rubberband/

I can't remember the name of windows version off the top of my head.

@Budlust: Simple and good idea. Exactly, what I am talking about, combining that idea with time-stretching could quickly result in many new ideas.
Thanks to TL072
Budlust (07-04-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
Budlust
Analog Lurker
Budlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to all
MC Status: 610

Thanks TL072 will definitely check that out sounds interesting!

Glad you liked the ideas too. I'l post more up if I think of any
Budlust is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
TL072
Master of the LFO

Today's deep thought:

Run any sample through a ring modulator and you are bound to get something out that is complex and different.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
thirrsty
Soundwave Mangler
thirrsty is a savage MCthirrsty is a savage MCthirrsty is a savage MCthirrsty is a savage MCthirrsty is a savage MCthirrsty is a savage MCthirrsty is a savage MCthirrsty is a savage MCthirrsty is a savage MCthirrsty is a savage MCthirrsty is a savage MC
AKL
MC Status: 3679258

great thread idea i'm in a blank space right now though since i'm at work but will post something in here the next time i experiment and find something cool

------------------
thirrsty is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
niksah
Digital Surfer
niksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MC
San Francisco
MC Status: 9509953

I sometimes take atmospheric samples, like a :30 clip of the background noise in a bar or a bulldozer at a construction site, then find a small section within it that has some rhythmic content, warp it, put it on a 1 or 2 bar loop, drop a bunch of effects on it, then set the groove of a track around the results.
niksah is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
TL072
Master of the LFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by niksah View Post
I sometimes take atmospheric samples, like a :30 clip of the background noise in a bar or a bulldozer at a construction site, then find a small section within it that has some rhythmic content, warp it, put it on a 1 or 2 bar loop, drop a bunch of effects on it, then set the groove of a track around the results.
Must try doing this. I would love to hear some of your results. We can take guesses at what it actually was.

I will try to do the same with some of the stuff I have posted.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
niksah
Digital Surfer
niksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MC
San Francisco

the track in my sig is an example. Subtle and doesn't run through the whole thing but it's in there as part of the groove.

also: https://soundcloud.com/samhaskin/bac...-again/s-tQBJy
A little more obvious and less effected in this one
Old 10-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
Bedlam Events
Learning The Ropes
Bedlam Events is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Great thread, really interesting stuff.
Bedlam Events is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #12
TL072
Master of the LFO

Quote:
the track in my sig is an example. Subtle and doesn't run through the whole thing but it's in there as part of the groove.

also: https://soundcloud.com/samhaskin/bac...-again/s-tQBJy
A little more obvious and less effected in this one
Is that a crowd of people in Back Home? When you described this, I expected to hear quite abrasive and abstract techno. Very cool to see that it the use of such a technique is smooth and groovy tracks.

Below is the WIP that has the technique that I first started this thread with (e.g. detuned waves). Arrangement and mix is pretty rough, but the baseline is the main feature

Old 10-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
niksah
Digital Surfer
San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL072 View Post
Is that a crowd of people in Back Home? When you described this, I expected to hear quite abrasive and abstract techno. Very cool to see that it the use of such a technique is smooth and groovy tracks.
It's a field recording of a Japanese classroom I pulled from Freesound.org. The other one (in my sig) has a loop of a field recording from a pub as part of the atmosphere layer of the track, though it's a little harder to discern.
Old 14-04-2013, 04:33 AM   #14
Ttinga
Ttinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to behold
Chicago
MC Status: 960

Quote:
Yep, do this all the time. I like to make percussion sounds out of ambience by tweaking the ADSR on a short section.

------------------
Ttinga is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #15
Aniol
Soundscaper
Aniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to behold
Huntington Beach
MC Status: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budlust View Post
One nice easy technique which can change up your samples or clips is modulating the volume of the clip or sample that you only hear it every 1/8th or 1/16th or whatever speed you want it like this.

Code:
Another easy trick is to automate the play action of your clips in ableton. You make a number of different clips in one lane and you can automate how often they will play like this.

Select all the clips by shift clicking them. Press this button...

Code:
Then select the L highlighted in blue and the box highlighted in red and select other. The numbers above this box is where you choose how long it will play for before switching.

Code:
Hope these can help you
THAT WAVE
Aniol is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #16
TL072
Master of the LFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttinga View Post
Yep, do this all the time. I like to make percussion sounds out of ambience by tweaking the ADSR on a short section.
A similar and rather unpredictable, but fun way of creating percussion is to create a rather experimental recording of noise. Then put it through a noise gate and set the release to be high enough that you aren't getting clicks and pops (or perhaps that is what you want ). Then play with the threshold to taste.

I did this with a rather crazy recording I made using an ipod accelerometers to drive filter frequencies and oscillators in supercollider and I ended up with a great set of electronic blurps and blips.

I will try to post an example when I can.

Advertisements