That minimal "look"
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Techno Techno Techno Techno Techno

Go Back » Music By Genre » Techno
Old 09-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Slipstreamer
Microknight
Slipstreamer is just really niceSlipstreamer is just really niceSlipstreamer is just really niceSlipstreamer is just really niceSlipstreamer is just really nice
Grahamstown
MC Status: 410
That minimal "look"

So this is something I've been thinking of for a while... we all know that various subcultures, as they become more and more entrenched and complex, tend to develop unique styles, aesthetics or "looks" that go along with other, more dominant elements of the subculture (such as music). Punks had safety pins, bondage pants, mohawks and leather alongside punk music and other elements of punk culture; hippies had long hair, indian-inspired garments, and beadwork, and goths have... well, need I even go into it? My point is: has anyone else noticed a particular techno "style" that seems to have cropped up around various techno artists and techno enthusiasts? Lots of monochromatic colours. Simple, yet expensive looking clothes. Black, grey and white v-neck shirts. Hair clipped and cropped very close to the skull, sometimes with little asymmetrical detailing (think of Richie Hawtin's famous fringe).

Alongside the fashion aspect of techno, there's also a very clear visual aesthetic that has emerged, and has been around for pretty much as long as minimal tech has: again, record sleeves are simple to the point of severity, in blacks and whites and greys, muted colours, minimal design work. Flyers and posters seem to follow the same trend.

Does anyone else find this even remotely interesting? I'm pretty intrigued by it. What else do you lot think constitutes the "techno style"? Do any of you consciously dress "techno"?

Advertisements

Slipstreamer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
rodan
Soundwave Mangler
rodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MCrodan is a savage MC
Salt Lake City, UT
MC Status: 13442
Re: That minimal "look"

I'd be curious to know more. There isn't much love for techno in Salt Lake, it's all electro and dubstep here so I don't really ever see a style.

If you have example photos I am curious to see them.
rodan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
Jase Watford
Learning The Ropes
Jase Watford is currently spamming hard
Thunder Bay
MC Status: 10

I used to dress “minimal” back in the early to mid late 90s the whole black turtlenecks, black thick framed glasses, skinny jeans and deck shoes. Kind of a glam leftover from the 80s really (think early Richie Hawtin).

But I can relate to the original poster of this thread as the city I live in now is completely *le sigh* dubstep. My fashion now is a mix of my favorite labels wear and that is about it. I would love to see what constitutes as techno wear these days.
Jase Watford is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 04:30 AM   #4
jds1
jds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MC
Brisbane
MC Status: 2797866

it makes sense,
since the term techno, derives from technology which most likely means the ever changing modern/future kind, would suggest a kind of sophistication above the common denominator whatever is currently prevalent.

the best way to keep modern and stylish is to remove anything extranneous/redundant and with which can be pinned to a certain time period.

with fashion this would be logos/branding, current 'trends' (mullets, popped-collars, spikey hair)

if you take it too far from the current state of things and start wearing spacesuits etc, it will then too become marked in time. this isn't a bad thing, but you'd have to have a strong and bold vision to pull it off i.e. daft punk, ziggy stardust. the vision both image and sound have to become fully locked for it to work and that requires quite some artistry, initiative & b@lls!!
jds1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
Roland_Abuser
Radial Developer
Roland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to behold
Good `Ol Yorkshire
MC Status: 760

You`ll definitely be needing a beard to stroke

Nah, in all seriousness I`ve not really noticed people into minimal really dressing that much different to other techno heads. Perhaps a little smarter than say the punk influenced acid techno look (shaved head/mowhawk, piercings, baggies etc...).

But as others have said, there`s nowhere near as many people dress according to the music they listen to as say 15 years or so back... Either that or I`m just getting old and am not with `the in crowd` any more!
Roland_Abuser is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 01:39 AM   #6
jds1
jds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MC
Brisbane
MC Status: 2797866

beard-stroking? that reminds me of the following;

I LOVE THIS ANALYSIS OF 'WHAT IS A CLASSICAL COMPOSER'
http://rougesfoam.blogspot.com.au/20...-composer.html
jds1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 02:04 AM   #7
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstreamer View Post
goths have... well, need I even go into it?
Yep.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 02:05 AM   #8
Benwaa

Thread necros!
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6660

Can't say anything definitive about the look (I recall there being lots of black turtle necks in the past too), but it seems to me that the flyers look much different now.

I recall older flyers being much more abstract, designy things. Now most minimal techno shows seem to look a bit like a Calvin Kline magazine cover. I will grudgingly accept any accusations of being an old crank , but I rather liked it when the djs seemed more anonymous or only one part of the party and party was more of a theme, rather then focused on the a few star personalities.

I'd have to dig around in some old boxes to confirm this mind you.
TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
Roland_Abuser
Radial Developer
Roland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to behold
Good `Ol Yorkshire
MC Status: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL072 View Post
I recall older flyers being much more abstract, designy things. Now most minimal techno shows seem to look a bit like a Calvin Kline magazine cover.

Genuine lol.
Roland_Abuser is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 02:51 AM   #11
twilitez
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060

Theres a new documentary out that you will probably enjoy called 'Paris, Berlin, 20 years of underground techno'.
twilitez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to twilitez
Slipstreamer (26-11-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
Budlust
Analog Lurker
Budlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to allBudlust is a name known to all
MC Status: 610

A white or grey t-shirt with some electronic type of design. Moderately skinny jeans, black and a look away from the camera that says I don't really care that this is an album cover haha
Budlust is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
[Complex]
Microknight
[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold[Complex] is a splendid one to behold
Spain
MC Status: 960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budlust View Post
A white or grey t-shirt with some electronic type of design. Moderately skinny jeans, black and a look away from the camera that says I don't really care that this is an album cover haha
haha! or take a photo with only one side of the face, typical of richie hawtin
[Complex] is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 12:42 AM   #14
Alert
Soundscaper
Alert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond repute
Oblivion Fringe
MC Status: 4271

Trust fund Minimal hipsters wearing scarves and looking like they don't want to be at the show:

"Do you know how much money it costs to look this poor?"

------------------
Alert is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #15
Triton64
Triton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MC
Having fun
MC Status: 22350264
Thanked 1,170 Times in 674 Posts

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
The more you keep up w the board the less you'll want the OP at the top every time you open a thread you've been following and / or active in.
Triton64 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote