[Dub/Electronica] InTheAM - Man Wears Goat Horns
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 11-01-2017, 01:12 AM   #1
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8540930
Thanked 7,000 Times in 4,975 Posts
[Dub/Electronica] InTheAM - Man Wears Goat Horns

Alright, spent a couple sessions on this. I dunno. I'm just trying to "finish" and post more tunes this year. So hear ya go. Happy to have any kinda comments you wanna leave...

EDIT: Also, yes, I posted and deleted another version of this yesterday. Trust me, I did you a favor... lol

EDIT:

If anyone has a chance for another listen I've done a revised version which I hope addresses some of the issues. I think there could still be some FX automation and perhaps an additional element or significant change up or a few beat edits/surprises added in the last bit...

Last edited by relic; 19-01-2017 at 04:30 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Dub/Electronica] InTheAM - Man Wears Goat Horns.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #2
Cat3
Deep Underground
Cat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MC
MC Status: 13439
Re: [Dub/Electronica] InTheAM - Man Wears Goat Horns

that's interesting! harmonically there's something clashing to my ears and I kinda miss a "hook". I'd switch that reverse accordion phrase with something more catchy!

oh, I really like the sounds!!

------------------
Cat3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:18 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Thanks for the listen man. Yea...there is something too harmonically goofy going on to work. I could theoretically change anything, but I hear it as the bassline. I also agree there isn't really a single element that grabs my ears like a hook. I did have some more mid range in the bass, so if I get that sorted maybe it can become a bit more hookish.

I kinda like the reverse accordion, but I'll think about it ;p

Thanks again for your time and thoughts.

------------------
Old 12-01-2017, 08:24 PM   #4
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 183910
Thanked 3,678 Times in 2,740 Posts

I hear what Cat means, but have to say I like it as is..kinda reminds me of when you'd be out walking listening to music on headphones or buds and there's the background sounds of life leaking in under the music..that's how I listened to this.

I just focused on the bass section and it worked just fine that way. You get that a lot on movie scores as well..other sounds and music coming in under the main score..this reminds me of that a little, too.

Mix-wise, it sounds cool to me..everything is in its own place and the over-all sound stage sounds cool, too..really clear in fact. I didn't get a chance to hear the first version, so I don't know how much this is or isn't an improvement over that..but going by what you said, I take it this version is better.

Nice on, A.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:15 PM   #5
Cat3
Deep Underground
Cat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MC
MC Status: 13439

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Thanks for the listen man. Yea...there is something too harmonically goofy going on to work. I could theoretically change anything, but I hear it as the bassline. I also agree there isn't really a single element that grabs my ears like a hook. I did have some more mid range in the bass, so if I get that sorted maybe it can become a bit more hookish.

I kinda like the reverse accordion, but I'll think about it ;p

Thanks again for your time and thoughts.
the bassline is ok to me, I dig it actually, the dissonance is somewhere in the pads

the hook could be really anything, I often use some kind of weird noise / sound effect / sequence that's enough particular to be interpreted as the main element

------------------
Cat3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:00 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat3 View Post
the bassline is ok to me, I dig it actually, the dissonance is somewhere in the pads

the hook could be really anything, I often use some kind of weird noise / sound effect / sequence that's enough particular to be interpreted as the main element
I'll have a look at the pad then. Maybe some kind of glitchy sequence. I'll see what I can whip up on the A4. Going to have lots of free time for music this semester, so I'm going to sit on this tune for a bit since I've got the main recording done.

But I will take all these notes into consideration.
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Thanks for the notes! I do do dissonance pretty often as I like the sound of it. I like your point of view on how its working. Very interesting way of hearing this track. I didn't do it on purpose though (and I know sometimes its better to shut up and just say "yea...that's what I meant to achieve!) and I'd like to keep pushing my music theory...so I am going to at least figure out an alternative version in regards to this. Maybe I'll post up two.

Thanks for the comments on the mix. I'm trying to keep things really simple. The more I look at what connects the electronic music I like, it is mostly music that uses minimalism/arrangement to help with the mixing and letting each element have its space.

------------------
Old 13-01-2017, 12:23 AM   #7
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33560

Overall I liked this. What really got me was the bass and drum interaction. I really dig the bass sound - it's got a subtle and almost mellow tone but has just enough grit and mid to be menacing without being in your face. The drums have nice variety and are mixed well. Everything moves along with some nice urgency but it never felt rushed.

There's some really nice sound design going on, but I'm not sure it comes together as a whole. I really enjoyed the ambient background bits over the first minute, then the reverb/tremelo pad thing that comes in around 1:08.

The saw synth pad around 1:20 is where it gets odd for me, and not in a great way. It's jarringly different than everything else and really stands out, but it comes and goes in contrast to the shaky trem line which I liked better. It's the sort of thing that I could see working if that was the lead line and you just stuck with it regardless so by the end you're just used to it, but every time it shows back up was a let down for me. I did like the more atonal moments, I just wished the sound was different.

The whole thing feels a bit aimless. I'm not getting a sense of going anywhere or development. Maybe that's the point; it does have a solid dub feel to it. I think that synth pad is what's holding it back for me. It keeps feeling like it's trying to do something but never actually does it, to the determent of the rest of the track.

Regardless, it's a great listen. I'd love to hear it with that synth line either altered or removed, but even as it stands it's pretty boppin'.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 12:48 AM   #8
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1837627

Dived straight in to listen and not read a lot of the followup comments.
I like the production nice and clear.
The bass is fine.
The pads sound feels off to my ears both timing and a little too much HP filter maybe (not sure).
Personally it feel like a wip with quality potential.
The undercurrent with the 'bubbling sound' works well.
Just listening again - for me the snare and kick is too upfront for this track along with the lead hp synth pad.
Love the bongos, nice blend and level.
0.59 nice mellow breakdown and ambience
2.10 works for me a nice phrase until the pad comes in again. Maybe the dissonant chord is just not to my liking.
I can feel where the track is coming from there's a lot of elements I like. However there's some that just aren't flowing or fit to my ear. Hope this is constructive.

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 12:57 AM   #9
Orray
Soundscaper
Orray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

Sound design on this one is awesome! Really enjoyed it, but felt it was lacking direction. The energy moves along, but there isn't much progression.

------------------
Orray is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 01:59 AM   #10
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Thanks everyone. I really appriciate it. I'm going to go back and give this a serious revision maybe next week.

Last edited by relic; 13-01-2017 at 02:09 AM..

------------------
Old 15-01-2017, 06:53 PM   #11
tatsama
break all barriers..
tatsama is a savage MCtatsama is a savage MCtatsama is a savage MCtatsama is a savage MCtatsama is a savage MCtatsama is a savage MCtatsama is a savage MCtatsama is a savage MCtatsama is a savage MCtatsama is a savage MCtatsama is a savage MC
underground
MC Status: 55969203

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Thanks everyone. I really appriciate it. I'm going to go back and give this a serious revision maybe next week.
Hi relic,

I had a listen to the updated version in your OP. You have got some really great feedback already and I am not sure I could add anything more to them. I have also gone to your SC page and had a listen to your works : DrumBrute DEMO
Untitled Dub

I wanted to say that I felt you have a decent ear for picking out "good" sounds and I can only see you getting better at the production game. Keep training your ears to different sounds and how they might gel together . Don't get too lost in the mixing aspect just yet , though you should not ignore it. I think more tracks and practice will see you get better and better.

------------------
Li-Polymer - Mellifluous (Tatsama Remix)
tatsama is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 07:09 PM   #12
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatsama View Post
Hi relic,

I had a listen to the updated version in your OP. You have got some really great feedback already and I am not sure I could add anything more to them. I have also gone to your SC page and had a listen to your works : DrumBrute DEMO
Untitled Dub

I wanted to say that I felt you have a decent ear for picking out "good" sounds and I can only see you getting better at the production game. Keep training your ears to different sounds and how they might gel together . Don't get too lost in the mixing aspect just yet , though you should not ignore it. I think more tracks and practice will see you get better and better.

Thanks for the thoughts and listens! And I agree, I feel like just making more tunes is the best thing I can do for now and not getting to bogged down in the technical aspect. I've got loads of unfinished stuff I'll probably never go back to. I've been at this for a while, but I either because of laziness or lack of time I don't work on music very consistently.

I really take the decent ear for sounds comment as a huge compliment, so thank you.. I like to think I have a wide and interesting taste in music, now I just have to get my skills to the level of the music I love. Maybe that'll be a life long pursuit and I won't quite get there, but that's fine.

I actually did go back on work on this song again the other day, but might have made it something pretty different. Not ready to post a new version yet, but I will : ) I need to push myself as far as arrangement and the good sounds thing.

------------------
Old 19-01-2017, 04:31 AM   #13
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Edited the OP with a revised version of the track. So much thanks to everyone or the comments so far. Really trying to push this track to the limit and make it as good as possible. Ya'll helped a lot already!

Advertisements

------------------