[Techno] Sonderling - A Monochromatic World
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 06-01-2017, 06:09 AM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 52310
Thanked 1,046 Times in 771 Posts
[Techno] Sonderling - A Monochromatic World

Finally, I wrapped my head around my current setup and condensed some of the sounds and ideas of recent jams into a reasonably cohesive. I didn't really intend to make it this bloody cheerful, but hey, somehow this happens. I just really liked that pad. Perhaps I might rework this a bit into a darker track.

Sounds are courtesy of a dark trinity with an Avalon providing the main 303. The Rytm was run through an Analog Heat. Hope you like it. As usual, feedback is most welcome.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Btw, here is a neat little trick to give some depth to your percussion (used here on the drum bus and some synths):

I get a very similar effect just using an outboard stereo delay with zero delay left and 10-20 ms delay right (using a Strymon Dig).

Last edited by liquid_air; 06-01-2017 at 06:18 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
Kaede (12-01-2017)
Rate this track - [Techno] Sonderling - A Monochromatic World.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:15 AM   #2
Hygro
Microknight
Hygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud of
California. No doubt about it.
MC Status: 1160
Re: [Techno] Sonderling - A Monochromatic World

Around 1:50 when the resonance gets high and the drums get a little crazy it feels briefly intoxicating. That's the best part.
Hygro is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:18 PM   #3
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184160
Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,744 Posts

Excellent track, Andy..really nice work, mate..seriously.

This reminds me much of "Flying Into A Star" from Astral Projection..

Some are going to either love it or loath it..depends really if they're into this kind of stuff. Personally, I spent more than a few nights raving around London, so I'm always going to warm to this sound.

This is the first contemporary track I've listened to today (..been listening to our local classical radio station all morning) and what a way to jump back into current tunes!

Seriously, I don't want to fault this in any way..but if I had to, then all I'd suggest is to lower ever-so-slightly that booming bass drum..it works as is, but I feel it might work even better if you lowered it a little, in order to let the rest of the track shine through a little more..especially those vocals, which deserve to be heard more.

Lastly, thanks for the download..much appreciated.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:32 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541180
Thanked 7,005 Times in 4,978 Posts

I'm listening on my crappy b-tooth speaker at work, so I won't make any mix comments though at a 1:30 in it sounds pretty decent.

Nice layers and sounds. The pay off for me is about half way through. That made my head perk up as I was working on some blogs here at work. I think the length is probably good for a DJ/dance track. I don't mind the slow build up at all.

This is my favorite tune of yours lately.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 26360

I concur on the kick being a little over the top level wise
Great track tho, nice work on getting the hardware working together so well

That drum bus trick kinda sounds like a haas style effect with the short delay

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:40 PM   #6
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
South Central Sealand
MC Status: 101163691
Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,047 Posts

I can also hear a bit of Astral Projection and goa in this, nice

The kicks post-effects seem to mud up the track a bit tho, actually. Listening on retail sony cups in the expensive end of the scale. I'm wondering if you're using a bit of reverb on the kicks? If you do, then it's easily solved by removing it. But it all depends on what you want ofc, it has a bit of thunderdome mastering to it now, and if that's what you want, then it's cool

------------------
Thomas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:23 PM   #7
Creepr
Soundscaper
Creepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond repute
Germany
MC Status: 7360

Very nice work Andy. I could only say I found aroud 3:00 the vocals were drowned out by the lead bit, and I wanted to hear the vocals more than the lead.

------------------
Creepr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:26 AM   #8
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21310

I'm on cheap closed headphones right now and I couldn't understand the vocals at all, though I was ok with that. I have a new set of new headphones coming in later this week that go down to 10hz, so I gave this a DL, it's going to be one of the first things I listen to on the new set for sure .

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:13 PM   #9
Kaede
Imperator Furiosa
Kaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MC
MC Status: 52987903
Thanked 1,115 Times in 647 Posts

really like this. Nice to see how your live jams are evolving into distinct tracks.
Kaede is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 01:51 AM   #10
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Hey, thanks all of you for taking the time to listen and the kind words of encouragement and useful feedback! To be compared to Astral Projection is really an honor. I don't think it's quite there, yet, but thanks!

I'll go back and record this a bit more carefully track by track. The kick does indeed have some reverb on it. The kick is sidechained through an analog compressor and that signal is split and one stream sent through a Hall of Fame pedal. So, technically I'm routing the main (attenuated via HPF), the side chain signal without reverb, and the HPF filtered reverb feed. I really like a hefty big kick. Perhaps I'm going overboard, but I kinda like it.

The vocals are subjected to Lo-Fi bit reduction and distortion during the some sections, so they intentionally are obscured. You can pick that up in the breathing like sounds. I thought some variation would keep listener interest.

How does the "cherrie" nature of the melody in the last minute or so land on folks?

It's still a bit too busy, perhaps a bit muddied, but thanks for the encouragement indicating I'm slowly heading into the right direction.

Last edited by liquid_air; 13-01-2017 at 01:56 AM..

------------------

Old 13-01-2017, 03:54 PM   #11
Kaede
Imperator Furiosa
Kaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MC
MC Status: 52987903
Thanked 1,115 Times in 647 Posts

I don't think it's as cheerful as you think tbh, and I really like the size and space of the kick, it's bordering on industrial in places and I really dig that
Kaede is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 04:54 PM   #12
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Yeah, I'm a sucker for that sound, too.

------------------

Old 17-01-2017, 01:37 AM   #13
AnmolJ
Minor Glitch
AnmolJ will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

this bangs!
AnmolJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 12:50 AM   #14
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1837627

Nice work. Love the dark vibe with that acid line over the top. Nice work.

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 01:14 AM   #15
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69887319

There's plenty of progression and variation but not enough structure imo. I think the loopiness is a bigger problem than the booming kick that others have mentioned. That kick could be tamed a little, sure, but my bigger issue is just how much of it there is. When it's not present in that middle section the music is still quite intense, too... I think it could benefit from a bit more contrast in that respect.

All that said, you have come so far since your first posts here.

Regarding that mixing diagram, I think you'd really like MFlanger by MeldaProduction. Not the same thing by any means, but you can do some similar spatial tricks and get some movement involved too.

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 06:34 PM   #16
Beid
Microknight
Beid is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Ha! Works for me! Sounds familiar but other parts do not. Bass was not problematic to me, I admired the bass heavy bang and that u made a point of heavy bass in orig track. I really liked at the end the blurbs around 5:40? I kinda wished it was throughout piece. I've never been one for critique so this is kinda uncomfortable to me as this track was really good. Looking forward to more😊
Beid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 01:15 AM   #17
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
There's plenty of progression and variation but not enough structure imo. I think the loopiness is a bigger problem than the booming kick that others have mentioned. That kick could be tamed a little, sure, but my bigger issue is just how much of it there is. When it's not present in that middle section the music is still quite intense, too... I think it could benefit from a bit more contrast in that respect.

All that said, you have come so far since your first posts here.

Regarding that mixing diagram, I think you'd really like MFlanger by MeldaProduction. Not the same thing by any means, but you can do some similar spatial tricks and get some movement involved too.
Much appreciated! So, you think I should have more variation to the percussion? Or something else about the variation? I did adhere rather strictly to a 16/32 bar variation.

Should check out the MFlanger.

------------------

Old 24-01-2017, 02:23 AM   #18
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69887319

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Much appreciated! So, you think I should have more variation to the percussion? Or something else about the variation? I did adhere rather strictly to a 16/32 bar variation.

Should check out the MFlanger.
It's not just the percussion or the variation as such, more about the direction and structure. The parts that feel loopy could always be more varied, simple things like removing them from the odd section, the odd beat or two, or varying the timbres so they have different contexts over time... The main problem I have with the whole thing is the structure. There could be more peaks and troughs dynamically and in a ...narrative way. I'm vanishing up my own arse trying to put this into words, obviously. :badger:

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 12:08 PM   #19
FairyLand INC.
Microknight
FairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1160

That KICK, now thats a berlin kick if ive ever heard one.... this sounds like the stuff that Livity Sound and Timedance are putting out in Bristol atm.... really like this boiiii, monochrome to the core..... actually reminds me a bit of early trance as well, when they still fucked with 303s instead of arps.... nice dubbed out fx in there alongside dem nice fiter snaps and blips....real nice warehouse stuff ma
FairyLand INC. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 02:59 AM   #20
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyLand INC. View Post
That KICK, now thats a berlin kick if ive ever heard one.... this sounds like the stuff that Livity Sound and Timedance are putting out in Bristol atm.... really like this boiiii, monochrome to the core..... actually reminds me a bit of early trance as well, when they still fucked with 303s instead of arps.... nice dubbed out fx in there alongside dem nice fiter snaps and blips....real nice warehouse stuff ma
Really appreciate the kind comments. I'm glad someone likes the kick. Seems like it was love or hate. I was going exactly for that Berlin sound. It was inspired by Dax J - The Invisible Man...

Advertisements

------------------