(110bpm like Apparat inspired dance) Null Wave - Rats
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 05-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
AnthonyDavid94
Soundwave Mangler
AnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to beholdAnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to beholdAnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to beholdAnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to beholdAnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to beholdAnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to beholdAnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to behold
Yer mum
MC Status: 810
(110bpm like Apparat inspired dance) Null Wave - Rats

The link is private so I can't embed it? Don't exactly remember but anyhow here it is: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I would like some feedback on the following:

- structure (the sole reason I tend to not finish any of my personal tunes)
- sound design
- arrangement
- mixing

I know there's many things to be fixed in there but please, judge me as hard as you can.

Last edited by A.M; 07-03-2017 at 03:35 AM.. Reason: title fixed

Advertisements

------------------
AnthonyDavid94 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - (110bpm like Apparat inspired dance) Null Wave - Rats.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:24 AM   #2
TheStumps
Knob Twiddler
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 7310
Re: Null Wave - Rats (110bpm like Apparat inspired dance)

I have some thoughts, but they aren't really easily expressed in this case by writing it down alone.
Would you be willing to link me an MP3 version of this in PM so that I can tamper with it and put it back up to show what I'm thinking on a few things?

There's a really damn good skeleton here!

Cheers!
TheStumps is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:19 AM   #3
Tubordinate
Minor Glitch
Tubordinate will become famous soon enough
Leicestershire , United Kingdom
MC Status: 60

The percussion you have on here is absoloutley awsome, i love the way that youve used space in the track. only suggestions i have is to add some sweeps (subtle if any) on the transitions just to get the mix a bit more fluid! but i agree with the Stumps .... the skeleton is impressive. another quick suggestion from me is to just tighten up the EQ on those kicks so they squeese through just a little but more to keep the listener in a sense of rhythm . enjoyed the listen though mate!
Tubordinate is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:39 PM   #4
AnthonyDavid94
Soundwave Mangler
AnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to beholdAnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to beholdAnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to beholdAnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to beholdAnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to beholdAnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to beholdAnthonyDavid94 is a splendid one to behold
Yer mum

Oh top!

Great to hear the skeleton is already working for you, can't wait to play this on the stage.
Still though, as for structure and arrangement, any thoughts on a middle piece? Something it lacks? a B-part?

Percussion is based off a chopped breakbeat (old habit but I might replace those hits with self recorded drums. Rest of the percussion is actually samples I took on my phone. The vocal is a unique recording I got from a studio but would like to replace it with my own.

Next to that, I would like to get a guitar player to do basically double the bass track an octave up with palm muted funky playing: yay or nay?

------------------
Old 08-01-2017, 01:14 AM   #5
TheStumps
Knob Twiddler
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 7310

OK, Anthony, this is a rough sketch of things that occurred to me. The intent here isn't to say "do this", but instead to sketch out what my brain leans toward and in return hopefully cause an inspiration of ideas that you want to do to your track as a reaction to hearing how I laid this out and added things to it.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
TheStumps is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:14 AM   #6
volterock
Microknight
volterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MCvolterock is a savage MC
CA, USA
MC Status: 147079

I really like this. It has a nice ed banger - SebAstian feel.
I like how you've spread the stereo field, and everything sounds pretty crisp.
Structure: The intro sounds great. When the kick comes in at 0:35, it sounds like that might be where the main chorus should go? But, it does continue on, guiding the listener to the next journey, but then there isn't a full outlet or expression/chorus at an one point. Perhaps you could include one more element in the main structure and have that repeat a couple times in the song. From how the song is set up, it seems to cater more towards this style. If you are looking for something more progressive that tells a long story, then maybe be more light and smooth with your introduction to sounds as it progresses.
It needs more transition sounds that create tension and anticipation unless you are trying to go for more of a bare-bones techno feel.
Sound design: I like the sounds you used and they all fit well. You could experiment with adding more or less of a swing to see how it feels. Work more with effects on the sounds. Actually, overall on everything, use more automation to make it more organic. Change a filter, put something really far away using delay or reverb, bring it close, take it far away, try flanging something...
I'm listening on headphones so I can't give you much feedback on the mix. It sounds good with headphones.

------------------
Let me blog you: http://volterock.com

Newest release:
volterock is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:08 PM   #7
AnthonyDavid94
Soundwave Mangler
Yer mum

volterock: cheers for the elaborate feedback, many thanks!
Especially nice one on the structure tips, really cool, I'll see if I can implement them.
As for adding automations and organic sounds and such, that was part of the plan. I'm obsessing over Chris Clark so I'll fee free to use him as a source of inspiration (he's very good at that).

TheStumps: really cool man, great so have your approach. Found it quite inspiring though I felt the original song actually is in a semi-major key with some exceptions. But really cool nontheless. I'll try and get an update at the end of week.

Advertisements

------------------