Let's talk cheeses
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:54 AM   #1
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
MC Status: 71974
Thanked 1,188 Times in 729 Posts
Let's talk cheeses

I don't know about you, but if somebody kidnapped me, put me in a cave-like cell somewhere and were really mean to me but fed me only the finest cheeses, I'd be chill with it.

Post some of your favorite cheeses. Tell me why I should try them. Tell me where to get them.

Advertisements

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:58 AM   #2
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11478504
Re: Let's talk cheeses

Love me some cheese. Muenster is always a fav.

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:28 AM   #3
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33560

I have a thing for Swiss and Swiss-like cheeses, though I'm mostly impartial. I never met a cheese I didn't like, from a jiggly block of Velveeta to aged Parm to the stinkiest Stilton.

Right now Gruyere or smoked Gouda come to mind. I love the nutty flavors blending with a creaminess you can't get outside milk based things. The creaminess is really the deal - if you dig it, there's a whole palette of variations, from sharp to tart to mild to medicinal. If you don't like the creaminess, you're kinda hosed on cheese.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:40 AM   #4
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
I have a thing for Swiss and Swiss-like cheeses, though I'm mostly impartial. I never met a cheese I didn't like, from a jiggly block of Velveeta to aged Parm to the stinkiest Stilton.

Right now Gruyere or smoked Gouda come to mind. I love the nutty flavors blending with a creaminess you can't get outside milk based things. The creaminess is really the deal - if you dig it, there's a whole palette of variations, from sharp to tart to mild to medicinal. If you don't like the creaminess, you're kinda hosed on cheese.
Have to say, I haven't tried Gruyere. Love some Gouda with some beers. Sort of surrounded by Brie which is good, but I'm trying to broaden my horizons

------------------
Old 05-01-2017, 01:44 AM   #5
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 52310
Thanked 1,046 Times in 771 Posts

Oi, cheese!

We had a cheese extravaganza for New Years. Classic Swiss Cheese fondue and Raclette. And that were just the appetizers.

My favorite was the combination of cave aged Gruyere and Taleggio. The fondue was the Classic Emmentaler and Gruyere mixture (white wine, garlic, Kirschwasser, nutmeg).

My favorites:

old Gouda, 2-2.5 years is best: firm and robust with rich caramel undertones, good salt, some crystallization adds to a nice texture, a real umami bomb. Terrific with a fig spread or dates stuffed with toasted almonds. Pair with a good Belgian triple.

Stilton: the King of cheese, it's a blue cheese with a firm body, it looks dubious with its caramel color and blue mold, but it has just the richest bouquet of almond and pleasant undertones of lactic acid and wine cellar, all flavors superbly arranged in a firm and creamy texture pulled together by a good salt and umami flavors. Superb with a good Sauternes, toasted hazelnuts, and pear purée.

St. Andre - triple cream Brie, rich and velvety, buttery with subtle Brie flavors paired with fresh cream. Pair with subtle flavors, such as fresh figs and a light wine with crisp acidity, such as a dry Mosel Riesling or Sancerre.

Humboldt Fog - semi soft goat cheese from Northern California with firm rind and creamy texture that's firmer towards the edges. It has very balanced and mild goat flavors and that tangy element of fresh goat cheese and subtle chalkiness that combines in such nice manner with the overall creaminess. Combine with roasted golden beets and, of course, an oaky California Chardonnay such as Rombauer.

La Tour - Italian triple milk cheese that comes in a tiny round, triple cream quality and a rich buttery flavor that integrates so nicely what we love about cow, sheep, and goat milk cheeses. At room temperature it takes on the consistency of a buttery, silky smooth spreadable cheese. Serve with a drizzle of Akacia honey and the most subtle of white wines, such as a light Gavi or a Blanc de Blanc.

Last edited by liquid_air; 05-01-2017 at 01:51 AM..

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:54 AM   #6
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33560

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomesR View Post
Have to say, I haven't tried Gruyere. Love some Gouda with some beers. Sort of surrounded by Brie which is good, but I'm trying to broaden my horizons
Gouda is so gouda! (hur hur hur) But yeah, get after some Gruyere. It's delicious and amazingly complex.

Liquid's comment made me consider - while it's fine to just sit and eat cheese, it's really about what it's paired with. Beer, wine, bread, crackers, fruit, etc, all serve to accentuate and counterpoint the flavors of the cheese. I'm not over the moon about soft cheeses on their own, but they bake well (the temperature and consistency bring out other flavors) and pair amazingly with fruit (Camembert + fresh Pear = amazing).

So yeah, I'd encourage exploring both the cheeses themselves and what you're pairing them with for maximum mouth-yum.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:54 AM   #7
GomesR
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Oi, cheese!

We had a cheese extravaganza for New Years. Classic Swiss Cheese fondue and Raclette. And that were just the appetizers.

My favorite was the combination of cave aged Gruyere and Taleggio. The fondue was the Classic Emmentaler and Gruyere mixture (white wine, garlic, Kirschwasser, nutmeg).

My favorites:

old Gouda, 2-2.5 years is best: firm and robust with rich caramel undertones, good salt, some crystallization adds to a nice texture, a real umami bomb. Terrific with a fig spread or dates stuffed with toasted almonds. Pair with a good Belgian triple.

Stilton: the King of cheese, it's a blue cheese with a firm body, it looks dubious with its caramel color and blue mold, but it has just the richest bouquet of almond and pleasant undertones of lactic acid and wine cellar, all flavors superbly arranged in a firm and creamy texture pulled together by a good salt and umami flavors. Superb with a good Sauternes, toasted hazelnuts, and pear purée.

St. Andre - triple cream Brie, rich and velvety, buttery with subtle Brie flavors paired with fresh cream. Pair with subtle flavors, such as fresh figs and a light wine with crisp acidity, such as a dry Mosel Riesling or Sancerre.

Humboldt Fog - semi soft goat cheese from Northern California with firm rind and creamy texture that's firmer towards the edges. It has very balanced and mild goat flavors and that tangy element of fresh goat cheese and subtle chalkiness that combines in such nice manner with the overall creaminess. Combine with roasted golden beets and, of course, an oaky California Chardonnay such as Rombauer.

La Tour - Italian triple milk cheese that comes in a tiny round, triple cream quality and a rich buttery flavor that integrates so nicely what we love about cow, sheep, and goat milk cheeses. At room temperature it takes on the consistency of a buttery, silky smooth spreadable cheese. Serve with a drizzle of Akacia honey and the most subtle of white wines, such as a light Gavi or a Blanc de Blanc.
I asked for my bday present to be a wine and cheese tour but I want it to focus just as much on the cheese as the wine!

Dude, this is lovely. I will try all of these! I'm surprised I haven't seen the Humboldt Fog, with living here and all, I'll definitely hunt it down.

Recently got my hands on this one as well, can't stop thinking about it, have to go to Oregon for it...

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

------------------
Old 05-01-2017, 01:56 AM   #8
GomesR
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
Gouda is so gouda! (hur hur hur) But yeah, get after some Gruyere. It's delicious and amazingly complex.

Liquid's comment made me consider - while it's fine to just sit and eat cheese, it's really about what it's paired with. Beer, wine, bread, crackers, fruit, etc, all serve to accentuate and counterpoint the flavors of the cheese. I'm not over the moon about soft cheeses on their own, but they bake well (the temperature and consistency bring out other flavors) and pair amazingly with fruit (Camembert + fresh Pear = amazing).

So yeah, I'd encourage exploring both the cheeses themselves and what you're pairing them with for maximum mouth-yum.
Definitely agree!

------------------
Old 05-01-2017, 02:04 AM   #9
GomesR
IDMf Supporter

I was quite surprised with Limburger, as it smells awful! Once I tried it though I was pretty surprised. Had that with some crackers after we got back from catching some Dungeness crab. A day to remember.

------------------
Old 05-01-2017, 02:40 AM   #10
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Quote:
I asked for my bday present to be a wine and cheese tour but I want it to focus just as much on the cheese as the wine!

Dude, this is lovely. I will try all of these! I'm surprised I haven't seen the Humboldt Fog, with living here and all, I'll definitely hunt it down.

Recently got my hands on this one as well, can't stop thinking about it, have to go to Oregon for it...

Code:
If you have a Whole Foods near you, chances are they'll have all of them.

------------------

Old 05-01-2017, 02:42 AM   #11
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
I was quite surprised with Limburger, as it smells awful! Once I tried it though I was pretty surprised. Had that with some crackers after we got back from catching some Dungeness crab. A day to remember.
Yeah, that's a unique one. A German specialty is to marinate it with sunflower oil, finely chopped shallots, and some mild cider vinegar for a few days. A real delight, except for its pungency.

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
GomesR (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 02:48 AM   #12
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943731
Thanked 5,711 Times in 3,598 Posts

I think my favorite snacking cheese is probably sharp cheddar. For sammiches, I like provolone, swiss, and to a lesser degree colby. My fave sammich is pastrami with both provolone and swiss on sourdough.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:52 AM   #13
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541180
Thanked 7,005 Times in 4,978 Posts

Amish Swiss Cheese...can only get it locally as far as I know...but still my fav since I was a kid...also most sharp cheddars...well not super super cheap ones...

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:03 AM   #14
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031441
Thanked 7,280 Times in 4,524 Posts

So many cheeses, so little time...

Most impressive cheese I've had recently was a vegan Wensleydale-Style with cranberries.
It's made from coconut milk and I don't think I'd have known it was vegan cheese if my vegan friends weren't eating it.
You can buy it in UK from Sainsbury's, who apparently have just started selling a range of vegan cheeses.
Investigation time.

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
GomesR (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 10:00 AM   #15
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11478504

i just made me some mac and cheese, from a mac and cheese recipe book:
Code:

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #16
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 154610
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,857 Posts

Total cheese whore here.

Blue cheese is like crack to me. My fav thing to go with it is really sweet gala apples.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:40 PM   #17
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993580
Thanked 4,067 Times in 2,639 Posts

wow. I see some dedication to the cheese in here. I can't pretend to that level of expertise.
Cheese and dried fruit is the bomb, though. I love it. My salads always contain some firm cheese like Comté or Cantal, and dried fruits like dates or raisins.

We just had baked Camembert the other day with a friend of mine, topped it with honey and nuts. We had some Malbec red wine from Cahors. It was cheap but surprisingly savory. Great to the nose.

My appreciation of cheese has no method whatsoever, I just go for whatever looks good right now. But liquid_air encourages me to look further into it. I mean, this just looks awesome;
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Yeah, that's a unique one. A German specialty is to marinate it with sunflower oil, finely chopped shallots, and some mild cider vinegar for a few days. A real delight, except for its pungency.

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:51 PM   #18
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943731
Thanked 5,711 Times in 3,598 Posts

My wife is the true expert on cheeses. Whenever we hit the grocery store she's eyeing all the artisan cheeses. She bought one the other day, it's this one

Code:
I'm not even sure what she's using it for. lol
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:59 PM   #19
GomesR
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
My wife is the true expert on cheeses. Whenever we hit the grocery store she's eyeing all the artisan cheeses. She bought one the other day, it's this one

Code:
I'm not even sure what she's using it for. lol
This cheese is always in the fridge where I live, pretty mellow and easy to crumble, goes good on a lot of things, but tacos mostly.

------------------
Old 05-01-2017, 08:00 PM   #20
GomesR
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Amish Swiss Cheese...can only get it locally as far as I know...but still my fav since I was a kid...also most sharp cheddars...well not super super cheap ones...
There is a small Amish community here, maybe I'll try and find something along those lines... You know that's gonna be a good one

Advertisements

------------------
Thanks to GomesR
I/O_Madness (05-01-2017)