Masterclass in getting the most out of a player when producing
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 12-28-2016, 04:20 AM   #1
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 6160
Masterclass in getting the most out of a player when producing

I have no idea why my youtube imbeds never work. I have used the search. I cannot figure it out. lol

Last edited by envelope3; 12-28-2016 at 08:36 AM..

Advertisements

envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:10 AM   #2
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 44910
Re: Masterclass in getting the most out of a player when producing

On your phone you have to edit it to [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
[video ID]
just leave out the space in wa tch

Last edited by liquid_air; 12-28-2016 at 01:49 PM..

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:14 PM   #3
TheSampleThief
Analog Lurker
TheSampleThief is a glorious beacon of lightTheSampleThief is a glorious beacon of lightTheSampleThief is a glorious beacon of lightTheSampleThief is a glorious beacon of lightTheSampleThief is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

Is this the one with Deadmau5? ^^

I like the concept of this MasterClass thing and I think Deadmau5 actually knows a buttload about producing, but I just couldn't listen to him for too long. He is very outspoken and even though I agree with about half he says, the other half is just too cringe-worthy.

I also don't know why I would pay for sth, when there are tons and tons of awesome guides for free on youtube. ^^

------------------
TheSampleThief is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TheSampleThief
relic (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 09:33 PM   #4
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8514180
Thanked 6,465 Times in 4,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSampleThief View Post
Is this the one with Deadmau5? ^^

I like the concept of this MasterClass thing and I think Deadmau5 actually knows a buttload about producing, but I just couldn't listen to him for too long. He is very outspoken and even though I agree with about half he says, the other half is just too cringe-worthy.

I also don't know why I would pay for sth, when there are tons and tons of awesome guides for free on youtube. ^^
Can't be bothered to watch a bunch of Deadmau5 masterclasses to find out...but...what is he "out spoken" about lol?

I totally agree if its politics or social issues that is getting off topic. Or is it like celebrity poo slinging?

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:04 PM   #5
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45939281
Thanked 5,622 Times in 3,547 Posts

I saw a preview on youtube as they are running it as ads before videos start and it's not that bad. Seems like it could be an interesting course imo and I don't feel like he's all that outspoken in the video I saw.

Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:50 PM   #6
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

The courses could be quite good, my bored sick day interest was piqued by "outspoken".

------------------
Thanks to relic
Numerical (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 11:23 PM   #7
TheSampleThief
Analog Lurker
TheSampleThief is a glorious beacon of lightTheSampleThief is a glorious beacon of lightTheSampleThief is a glorious beacon of lightTheSampleThief is a glorious beacon of lightTheSampleThief is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
The courses could be quite good, my bored sick day interest was piqued by "outspoken".
Mostly about electronic music and how ppl use ghost-producers and how EDM is bad and all the same now bla bla. I followed him on facebook and had to unsubscribe cuz it was annoying, so I'm out of the loop.

But as I've said, I think he knows his stuff and I often agree with his views, but I don't need to be barraged by it constantly on facebook etc.

If I didn't have to pay for it, I'd give it a try (or if you have enough moneyz, unlike me).

------------------
TheSampleThief is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TheSampleThief
relic (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 11:39 PM   #8
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Mostly about electronic music and how ppl use ghost-producers and how EDM is bad and all the same now bla bla. I followed him on facebook and had to unsubscribe cuz it was annoying, so I'm out of the loop.

But as I've said, I think he knows his stuff and I often agree with his views, but I don't need to be barraged by it constantly on facebook etc.

If I didn't have to pay for it, I'd give it a try (or if you have enough moneyz, unlike me).
LOL. Ok, that is kinda what I thought. I might have to follow him for a while just for the lolz.

------------------
Old 12-29-2016, 01:51 AM   #9
Artificer
Master of the LFO
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 23710

So, I watched the Deadmau5 thing. I'll preface this by saying that I have zero interest in Deadmau5's music or dubstep or any sort of dance-y music in general, but I think the guy is good at what he does and he totally seems like a fellow I'd get along with personally. I threw some cash at it because I was curious and I figured it'd at least be entertaining.

I was entertained. He very much has a no-nonsense, tell it like he sees it attitude (this is a guy that went on record about not liking his new album that much until his record company made him stop). He calls out people for doing stupid things, boring things, taking shortcuts, and best of all, he totally admits that what he does isn't groundbreaking or all that difficult. He also calls out shady business people and has some pretty savvy advice about career stuff.

I also got the impression that at this point he'd probably be doing power electronics or some kind of acid trip ELP freak out stuff if he didn't think it'd tank his career, and he might be getting to the point where he doesn't care. His wall of modulars is getting Zimmer-ish, and he knows how they work and what to do with them. That was pretty cool.

As far as actual production stuff, if you're an absolute beginner, you'd be completely about five minutes in. It's not all that dumbed down. On the other hand it doesn't really dig down into anything too specific - there was obviously a finite amount of time and a list of topics. I walked away feeling like the dude has put the time in and knows how things work, regardless of whether you like the product. He pretty much walks through building a song piece by piece (basic chords, drums, lead lines, etc, etc mixing, mastering) and goes into his process and thoughts on why he does stuff. Moderately interesting but nothing groundbreaking. One interesting thing is the guy can't play keys, so he does all his programming with a keyboard and mouse. That was kinda fun to watch.

So it was worth the money, if you've got money to burn. It's entertaining and has some fun anecdotes and whatnot. He doesn't come off as a raging asshole, just a guy that's made enough money that he doesn't have to censor himself or suck dick for fans. He's totally willing to throw shade at his entire genre, himself and his fans included, and I found that refreshing. I guess the fact that I'm a bitter old asshole helps me get on his wavelength, but I found him fun if not terribly informative on the technical end.
Artificer is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:38 AM   #10
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

That's cool to hear he actually knows his shit about modular...when he bought one of those 50k Moog Module special editions...I was skeptical that it was anything but a publicity stunt.

------------------
Old 12-29-2016, 02:56 AM   #11
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744011041
Thanked 6,872 Times in 4,282 Posts

Quote:
ppl use ghost-producers

cunts
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:56 AM   #12
Artificer
Master of the LFO
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell

I'd have to go back and check, but I think the modular part is actually the longest segment of the whole thing. He kinda messed around and shows how they work, then he starts recording the modular output into Ableton and A/B compares them with VSTs, just to show that there's things with the analog that aren't replicable in the box due to sample rate, and that voltage >> samples for making weird ass noise. I also liked where he pointed out that you can't save settings, so neither he nor anyone else will reproduce that specific sound which is part of what's cool about modular gear.

He's really careful to note that you don't need any of that stuff, and you don't need Evantide outboard or $10k monitors or anything more than a computer and some time to make a good album. He didn't shill for anybody, he just pointed out that he's got that stuff because he's rich and it's his job and he's a big dork about it.
Thanks to Artificer
relic (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 04:23 PM   #13
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644068
Thanked 4,896 Times in 3,160 Posts

Curious to know if anyone has seen the one with Hans Zimmer. I like the prog housey stuff DM5 does but I'd probably shell out for the Zimmer Masterclass before this one.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:36 PM   #14
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
So, I watched the Deadmau5 thing. I'll preface this by saying that I have zero interest in Deadmau5's music or dubstep or any sort of dance-y music in general, but I think the guy is good at what he does and he totally seems like a fellow I'd get along with personally. I threw some cash at it because I was curious and I figured it'd at least be entertaining.

I was entertained. He very much has a no-nonsense, tell it like he sees it attitude (this is a guy that went on record about not liking his new album that much until his record company made him stop). He calls out people for doing stupid things, boring things, taking shortcuts, and best of all, he totally admits that what he does isn't groundbreaking or all that difficult. He also calls out shady business people and has some pretty savvy advice about career stuff.

I also got the impression that at this point he'd probably be doing power electronics or some kind of acid trip ELP freak out stuff if he didn't think it'd tank his career, and he might be getting to the point where he doesn't care. His wall of modulars is getting Zimmer-ish, and he knows how they work and what to do with them. That was pretty cool.

As far as actual production stuff, if you're an absolute beginner, you'd be completely about five minutes in. It's not all that dumbed down. On the other hand it doesn't really dig down into anything too specific - there was obviously a finite amount of time and a list of topics. I walked away feeling like the dude has put the time in and knows how things work, regardless of whether you like the product. He pretty much walks through building a song piece by piece (basic chords, drums, lead lines, etc, etc mixing, mastering) and goes into his process and thoughts on why he does stuff. Moderately interesting but nothing groundbreaking. One interesting thing is the guy can't play keys, so he does all his programming with a keyboard and mouse. That was kinda fun to watch.

So it was worth the money, if you've got money to burn. It's entertaining and has some fun anecdotes and whatnot. He doesn't come off as a raging asshole, just a guy that's made enough money that he doesn't have to censor himself or suck dick for fans. He's totally willing to throw shade at his entire genre, himself and his fans included, and I found that refreshing. I guess the fact that I'm a bitter old asshole helps me get on his wavelength, but I found him fun if not terribly informative on the technical end.
I signed up as well and started watching the first three segments last night. The above summary is spot on. What I like about the series is that, while staying slim on the technical how to (enough of that lives on YT), but gives you an insight into how he approaches the creative process. He comes across as very humble, in that he is upfront that this is how he does it, without any claim that it is the only way. In doing so, he provides some valuable lessons learned in his 10 years. I recall some book I picked up that was maybe 50 pages of 1-3 sentence paragraphs on mixing of the kind: mud lives around 300 Hz, 1-2 kHz is harshest on the ears. Useful simple insights that really help. The same here: how do you come up with interesting melodies, how can you think about chord progressions, what is the essence of a track. Don't watch this for the technical stuff. It's a rather intimate look at an individual's creative process. I find it quite unique.

------------------

Old 12-29-2016, 07:09 PM   #15
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

How much does it cost?

------------------
Old 12-29-2016, 08:15 PM   #16
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Its $90.

------------------

Old 12-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #17
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Johnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MC
Streets of Lojo
MC Status: 13798420

I remember seeing ads about this couple months ago, definetly got me curious. While I don't enjoy his recent stuff as much as the old, he is really talented artist and knows his shit. I know about his several rants about mainstream EDM, but I find them more refreshing than annoying (I don't follow him on social media that much).

After hearing liquid's and Artificer's opinion on this I will sign in later today and see for myself.

------------------
Johnson Academy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:58 AM   #18
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Its $90.
Oh man...for one video? I'd rather spend that on something concrete like a piece of gear. This type of thing is easily had elsewhere on youtube for free, so not sure if that's really worth it. I was thinking it was more like 50 bucks for a couple hours of video.

If anything that course better be 8-9 hours long. I know those ones with Andrew Wade were very worth it but that's a whole other genre so who knows...maybe it's worth that much.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:24 AM   #19
Artificer
Master of the LFO
Southern Hell

It's 4-5 hours, if I recall. While I'd guess that most of the material is available on youtube or in interviews, you'd be sifting through hundreds of hours of shit to find it. Here it's all laid out in a sensible format with quality recording and editing. It just takes a lot of the legwork out of finding it.

You also get access to some extra reading materials and lessons, as well as forum access for the artist and other students to give feedback. I have zero interest in that so I haven't really looked into it, but I'm guessing that's appealing to a lot of the people that take the class - an actual letter signed by Joel himself telling you your music is boring and derivative and to drink more Ovaltine (suitable for framing).

I definitely don't recommend it to anyone with only a passing interest and a tight budget. There's certainly better ways to spend your money. It's for either the hardcore Deadmouse/EDM guys who want to peek behind the curtain, or people like me with more time and money than sense. If I'm being completely honest, the amount of people on this specific forum that are going to get something tangible out of it are few and far between.
Thanks to Artificer
A.M (12-31-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 02:35 AM   #20
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Austin

The way i see it is, I basically just do my own thing until I come across something I have to look up on youtube. I'm not going to youtube for everything there is to know about music production. Experience beats out having to take classes and reading stuff. I can't even sit through some 4 hour video on anything because most of it, well I learned from doing already. I don't know it all, of course but my workflow is mine and only when i need something specific do I head to the internet for answers. I suspect those people you speak of are the ones who are beginners and want to know how to mix, nothing specific just how do I mix...

Advertisements