bass distortion
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:48 PM   #1
machinevos
Learning The Ropes
machinevos is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
bass distortion

Hi i'm trying to recreate a sound from the nexus examples. Dit omdat je de instrumenten al weet van te

I really like the "drive/distortion" that has been put on the bass in this example
youtube slash watch?v=Qp0M8uE

Now i've tried every eq, drive, gain distortion out there and it just wont sound the same

Can anyone tell me by ear what kind of effect is on the bass.

Cause it sounds like distortion/overdrive/gain, but whithout it becoming "muddy".

I already a lot with the eq, but it seems as though there is another effect.
I dying to find out what this effect is because it sounds really cool.

Advertisements

machinevos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:52 AM   #2
ViralSound
Regular Freak
ViralSound will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Re: bass distortion

i think you must use a sinoidal wave ,or directly find bass samples
ViralSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 03:05 AM   #3
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 7610

If you want distorted bass without losing definition, run it in parallel like on an auxiliary send or double tracked carving out the eq to make room for the clean version to cut.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
envelope3 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to envelope3
relic (17-03-2017)
Old 17-03-2017, 06:07 PM   #4
Harko City
Minor Glitch
Harko City is just really niceHarko City is just really niceHarko City is just really niceHarko City is just really nice
Indiana
MC Status: 360

When I distort a bass, I like to take the bassier frequencis out with eq or a high pass and have an sine wave playing the bass frequency without distortion with the distorted bass. No muddiness with a sine.
Harko City is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Harko City
relic (17-03-2017)
Old 24-03-2017, 10:57 PM   #5
aLiner
Knob Twiddler
aLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond repute
Galway
MC Status: 2810

guess what - The video is unavailable
aLiner is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:25 PM   #6
No Theory
Regular Freak
No Theory will become famous soon enough
atlanta
MC Status: 60

Ya I find it better to add distortion via an auxillary or return track, it is easy to apply distortion to just a certain percentage of the sound so the entire sound isn't just absolutely smashed to bits. Also using just a bit of distortion or saturation from several different channels can give the bass a nice texture
No Theory is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:45 PM   #7
TechnoVicious
Learning The Ropes
TechnoVicious is currently spamming hard

Normally just use heavy Saturation or if you're using Ableton, use Overdrive.
TechnoVicious is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #8
ATvrB
Minor Glitch
ATvrB is currently spamming hard
Living in Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harko City View Post
When I distort a bass, I like to take the bassier frequencis out with eq or a high pass and have an sine wave playing the bass frequency without distortion with the distorted bass. No muddiness with a sine.
Very interesting! I'll try this.

When using ableton I really like to use the erosion effect on white noise and erode the higher lows
ATvrB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 12:51 AM   #9
Somn
Minor Glitch
Somn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to all
Stockholm
MC Status: 610

I always run at least two basses.

One (almost) clean sine wave in the bottom and then another, distorted and high-passed copy on top of it. I occasionally add a bit of room to the high-passed one, depending on the mix.

Definitely not saying I am one of them, but this is standard practice from a lot of the best mixing engineers in electronic music, so not something I just made up.

Have a listen: on a lot of songs you can actually tell that the definition and clarity is sitting on top of the actual bass frequencies, as they are separated.

Advertisements

------------------
Somn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote