Opinions on Glitch2? Alternatives?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:26 AM   #1
Eddddt
Minor Glitch
Eddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to all
MC Status: 560
Opinions on Glitch2? Alternatives?

I'm a fairly new producer looking to broaden the arsenal of trippy effects I can put into my songs and I'm looking at Glitch2 for a few reasons:

1- I'm poor and it's only $60
2- I'm a slow and impatient learner so I want something relatively easy (read:cheating)
3- Drawing effects in a sequencer seems like it would be a fun process

Anyone have an opinion or suggestion? Pros/cons? Are there better options? I was also looking at Stutter Edit which is on sale for $50 and seems interesting enough but it doesn't have a sequencer. Effectrix also looks cool but $120 is a bit steep right now.

Advertisements

Eddddt is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:40 AM   #2
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39280599
Thanked 1,161 Times in 747 Posts
Re: Opinions on Glitch2? Alternatives?

I've never used Glitch 2, but I used to use the old free one back in the day. Don't see why it wouldn't work out/be fun.

Quote:
I was also looking at Stutter Edit which is on sale for $50 and seems interesting enough but it doesn't have a sequencer.
You can control it by sending MIDI to it. It's nowhere near uncontrollable and I think the mod options it has for working with sounds are pretty cool. In the time I played with it in the past I thought it was great.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:50 AM   #3
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 49410

I have Glitch2, Stutter Edit, and The Finger. I'll also throw in Tornado and I have Effectrix.
Personally, I find Stutter Edit to offer the best in terms of fine tuning of effects. It's playable and highly customizable. If I'd have to pick one, that's the one I'd suggest. TBH. I have never really used Effectrix.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:07 AM   #4
LustHouse
Analog Lurker
LustHouse is a glorious beacon of lightLustHouse is a glorious beacon of lightLustHouse is a glorious beacon of lightLustHouse is a glorious beacon of lightLustHouse is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

For what you described glitch will be a good start for you. It doesnt provide anything you cannot do by yourself in a DAW but, it's a nice starting point to understand how these sounds achieved.

Stutter edit doesn't have sequencer, but it uses DAW's MIDI sequencer to trigger it's effects, so it's essentially the same ( it would be something like this C1 - tape stop, C1# lofi , D1 - revers etc).

GUI on Stutter Edit isn't as obvious as glith 2, and you might spend some time learning how to change even basic stuff, but imo it provides slightly more unusual sound than g2.
LustHouse is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:23 AM   #5
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Public Enema #2
MC Status: 31460

I see you use Live. Live is much more powerful (obviously), but this seems pretty awesome to put on a bus when you're all out of ideas, or on the fly.

Is this an incarnate of DB Glitch? That thing was a lot of fun for me when I was new to making music.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:47 AM   #6
Eddddt
Minor Glitch
Eddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to all

I actually use Bitwig now but there was no option for a Bitwig icon and I started on Ableton Intro so that's that.

This is in fact the second version of DB's Glitch. Thanks for all your advices folks, I am going to try the demos of Glitch2 and Stutter Edit and make my decision from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
I see you use Live. Live is much more powerful (obviously), but this seems pretty awesome to put on a bus when you're all out of ideas, or on the fly.

Is this an incarnate of DB Glitch? That thing was a lot of fun for me when I was new to making music.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #7
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17110

you can also look at some older free alternatives that do at least some of what Glitch does, like LiveCut and BufferOverride.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

not sure how precise you want to get with this. i tend to just press record and fuck around with shit in real time. and then go through the results and slice interesting bits and then process them further/resample.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #8
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39280599
Thanked 1,161 Times in 747 Posts

Quote:

Yeah, it is. Even though it looks different now seeing it gives me the nostalgia feels pretty hard.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:42 PM   #9
Metaside
Sample Destroyer
Metaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 5410

I loved the old Glitch and still have it in my plugin folder, but I didn't use Glitch 2. It looks a bit more like Effectrix now, though. I used Effectrix a lot a while back and still use it regularly for various tasks. It's pretty good imo when you make use of the 2 stepsequencers per effect as main modulation sources, but it's a bit overpriced.

I also like Permut8, which is interesting, but a bit crazy and limited in applicability imo. There is also Movement, which is a bit different (not really intended for repeating or looping effects), but also quite flexible, includes filters and EQs and a lot of interesting presets, but it is highly overpriced imo. I also agree with liquid_air that Stutteredit is awesome and very flexible, but it is very expensive if not on sale. And, last but not least, there is Herse for M4L, which is also very interesting and really flexible and also quite cheap!

However, since the OP wants something easy and cheap, I would recommend to stick with Glitch 2 without M4L or to check out Herse first if M4L is available. Stutteredit on a good sale (iZotope do regular high-percentage sales on sites like pluginboutique) would also be an option, since it has a lot of presets iirc.

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:42 PM   #10
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8524380
Thanked 6,669 Times in 4,756 Posts

I know. I'm so lame, but...I prefer just recording a bunch of versions of sounds and sequencing them, and then layer some random LFO stuff on top of that.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:39 AM   #11
Metaside
Sample Destroyer
Metaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond repute

Just stumbled over this new one by Cableguys: multiband and even a pretty good price - might be an option for the OP, too: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I really like their multiband Volume- and Panshaper plugins.

------------------
Old 03-12-2016, 07:32 AM   #12
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 49410

Cableguys plugins are awesome. MIDIshaper in particular. It's got an LFO matrix that can be routed to MIDI cc to do all sorts of mayhem.

NI Kontakt 5 is really capable to get some wonky stuff going. Slicing a sample and using modulation sources and retrigger works well.

But, tbh, nothing comes even close to the facility with which the Elektron Octatrack does this. Arpeggiated retrigger, LFO or parameter locked retrigger and sample position, random LFO selecting the sample to be played, and all of the above at once.

It's the ease with which the above can be done on the fly that's hard to recreate ITB. Kinda pricey compared to a plugin.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:30 AM   #13
Eddddt
Minor Glitch

I'm a lost cause, folks. For a thread that started about Glitch2, then I look into a video of this MIDIshaper and end up seeing a really awesome filter in the same video (I've been looking for a good filter for months). So I look into the filter- the Fabfilter Micro- which it turns out is their bottom tier filter. So of course I have to look into their top tier filter the Volcano 2 and.... (gasp)

I think I have to buy that goddamn filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Cableguys plugins are awesome. MIDIshaper in particular. It's got an LFO matrix that can be routed to MIDI cc to do all sorts of mayhem.
Thanks to Eddddt
Parricide (10-12-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 01:46 PM   #14
sbj
sbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond repute
Copenhagen
MC Status: 6610

I have and use Glitch2 and can easily recommend it. Stutter edit is also nice. But don't miss out trying this one: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Here is an audio demo from his SoundCloud:

------------------
sbj is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to sbj
Metaside (08-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 05:35 AM   #15
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7710

Quote:
Kind of echoing this. Does Bitwig have the chain function thing that Live has? I dunno much about it. Even without that function, making dummy clips and automating fx on and off will give you a similar effect, without the extra expenditure. Just cram in a beat repeat, a tape stop, so on, and then turn it on when you want it like any old sequencer.

------------------
Try a lowpassed square wave, moron.

Also, buy my God damn music, please.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:51 AM   #16
Metaside
Sample Destroyer

Tantra looks interesting, too. It has some of the functions I miss in Effectrix, as it seems, multi-point-envelopes instead of step sequencer, for instance...

Generally, of course you don't need glitch-type multi-effects. These effects mostly just let you do stuff much faster. doing it with custom effect chains, M4L automation sources, recording or drawing automation and so on just takes more time, even though it is more flexible, of course. I saved a lot of custom effect chains with ableton and third-party plugins, and I use a lot of M4L modulation sources like lfos, envelope followers and step sequencers - but I still come back to multi-effects like effectrix often, just because you can try out stuff really fast and don't have to worry about forgetting your track over all the custom effect racks you are building (which is a lot of fun, of course, but still...). That said, I think if you are just starting out it may not be the best first or second investment, but that also depends on what kind of music you want to make...

------------------
Old 08-12-2016, 07:02 AM   #17
Eddddt
Minor Glitch

I just want to have as many tools in my arsenal as possible and glitchy stuff is very appealing to me simply because it makes songs sound more fun to me. That said, I've only been producing for a year and I'm a terribly slow learner for technical stuff, so shortcuts come in handy for me- though I try to still be creative with shortcuts. Anyways, I tried all the demos and Effectrix seemed most fun and intuitive for me so I think I will pick that up eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaside View Post
Generally, of course you don't need glitch-type multi-effects. These effects mostly just let you do stuff much faster. doing it with custom effect chains, M4L automation sources, recording or drawing automation and so on just takes more time, even though it is more flexible, of course. I saved a lot of custom effect chains with ableton and third-party plugins, and I use a lot of M4L modulation sources like lfos, envelope followers and step sequencers - but I still come back to multi-effects like effectrix often, just because you can try out stuff really fast and don't have to worry about forgetting your track over all the custom effect racks you are building (which is a lot of fun, of course, but still...). That said, I think if you are just starting out it may not be the best first or second investment, but that also depends on what kind of music you want to make...
Old 08-12-2016, 04:47 PM   #18
strkssinthes
Soundscaper
strkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MC
MC Status: 38420

Heh I used to love the tape stop feature on glitch 2. Its a good plugin for what it does but I think you can get some really unique results by hand warping things yourself, especially with Live's warp engine.

------------------
strkssinthes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:00 PM   #19
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 19110

my roommate has glitch2, I have effectrix, looperator and turnado and I like those a little more to be honest, especially effectrix and turnado, but I have a bias because I haven't used glitch2 a whole lot

idk about glitch2, but with effectrix you can play stuff that at least sounds reversed as you play it, which is pretty cool
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:08 PM   #20
iDoG
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17110

someone recommended these 2 in another thread. free. you can get some interesting sounds from them:

also, you can get Izotope's DDLY for free. it has a granular mode which you can use to get some interesting textures (it's kind of similar to Hysteresis from above). just create an account with Focusrite (even if you don't own any of their products) and it'll provide a license key:

Advertisements

iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote