Compression location in effect chain?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 10-02-2016, 10:54 PM   #1
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 22010
Compression location in effect chain?

Hi
I am curious about the most accepted spot in an effect chain for compression.
I know it's not really a hard and fast thing but what I am trying to get at is if I should use a comp on my drum bus before other effects like drive, filter delay etc.
So is there a consensus? I would basically like to see others opinions I have been testing out using the MPC stereo comp on my drums and then sending them into octatrack for further processing but it doesn't seem to sound as nice that way.

Advertisements

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:05 PM   #2
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45938981
Thanked 5,616 Times in 3,544 Posts
Re: Compression location in effect chain?

I usually use compression after eq and before any other effects, especially the spatial ones like reverb and delay. Drive/saturation, for me, comes before anything else, even eq. A typical chain I use for things like a snare or percussive sound would be

drive>eq>compression>transient designer

The idea behind putting comp after eq is that the comp doesn't have to work as hard or compress frequencies you aren't hearing.

Then for spatial things like delay or verb I'll send those to an aux chain and mix them in on a different channel. Same for parallel compression and if you're sidechaining something.

------------------
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:27 PM   #3
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 17060

always at the end of your chain.
eq something in between like distortion etc then possibly either more eq to kill harmonincs from distortion
then compression.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:30 PM   #4
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1527627
Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
I usually use compression after eq and before any other effects, especially the spatial ones like reverb and delay. Drive/saturation, for me, comes before anything else, even eq. A typical chain I use for things like a snare or percussive sound would be

drive>eq>compression>transient designer

The idea behind putting comp after eq is that the comp doesn't have to work as hard or compress frequencies you aren't hearing.

Then for spatial things like delay or verb I'll send those to an aux chain and mix them in on a different channel. Same for parallel compression and if you're sidechaining something.
this so hard.

eq->Comp->etc

this way you can boost where you need without tickling the red. if you're prone to boosting hard the comp will do more work, back off on that threshold or ratio to taste.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:21 PM   #5
TIMT
Soundscaper
TIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MC
MC Status: 418660

nowhere
TIMT is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:55 PM   #6
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8010

duuude i thought this was avant garde music forum and "whatever sounds best for you" was always an (and maybe even THE) answer ...
anyways [non time related effects eg. phaser disto eq and ect] -> comp -> [time related effects eg. verb delay trance gate] is how basics do it
but i personally put camel crusher cranked up to max last, because its good vst and good guys finish last

Last edited by D42K732202; 11-04-2016 at 10:18 PM..

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to D42K732202
jbvdb493 (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 10:24 PM   #7
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 22010

Thanks.
Basically the only decent effect on the MPC 1000 is the master comp, so I was sending my drums through that and then into the octatrack for drive and filtering or whatever but I guess the ideal would be the opposite. Its a shame the MPC effects are so out dated for the most part

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:23 PM   #8
BlindfoldKnobs
Minor Glitch
BlindfoldKnobs will become famous soon enoughBlindfoldKnobs will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Rule of thumb is that you should compress each track's dry signal before any modulation (Chorus / Delay / Reverb). Then of course you also use compression during mastering (usually multi-channel), affecting the final mix or individual busses.
BlindfoldKnobs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 02:11 PM   #9
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18022719

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Hi
I am curious about the most accepted spot in an effect chain for compression.
I know it's not really a hard and fast thing but what I am trying to get at is if I should use a comp on my drum bus before other effects like drive, filter delay etc.
So is there a consensus? I would basically like to see others opinions I have been testing out using the MPC stereo comp on my drums and then sending them into octatrack for further processing but it doesn't seem to sound as nice that way.

it depends what youre trying to achieve with the compressor, as well as the other effects.
its important to remember exactly what the compressor (and other effects) will do to the signal.
for example, an EQ will affect the dynamics of a signal and a compressor will affect the tone, so whichever order you put these in you cant win, you just have to weight it up and choose depending on what you are trying to achieve.
and take your drive example, drive will usually eat up dynamics because of the nature of how it works (although there are dynamic distortion units out there), so this will make it harder to apply dynamic control that depends on the peaks, and conversely will make it harder to apply distortion to transients only if you have already compressed them.

i know this is not really an answer, but there is no real answer. its important to know what your effects are doing to the sound when using them, i mean everything they are doing, "under the hood" if you will.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #10
Vault O)))
Deep Underground
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 23160

Right before the sausage fattener

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
jbvdb493 (11-12-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 02:46 AM   #11
tivoli
Minor Glitch
tivoli will become famous soon enough
Moscow, Russia
MC Status: 60

Well I think it depends on what you want to reach. For example you can place compressor after reverb to make reverb tighter. But basically yes, I think EQ than Compressor is reasonable, because you may differ the dynamics with EQ (not sure about this point).
tivoli is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #12
fieldsofgrief
Granular Poster
fieldsofgrief is a name known to allfieldsofgrief is a name known to allfieldsofgrief is a name known to allfieldsofgrief is a name known to allfieldsofgrief is a name known to allfieldsofgrief is a name known to all
MC Status: 610

You should probably always start by putting it at the end and if that doesn't work then try something else. For example, with vocals I usually start with the compressor so I can get the level to what I want and then fiddle around with other stuff. In the end I might change the location of the compressor if necessary. A rather confusing system I suppose but so far it has worked for me.

Advertisements

fieldsofgrief is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote