Relaxation techniques to improve production
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 25-06-2016, 10:41 PM   #1
Dark Opera
Minor Glitch
Dark Opera is a glorious beacon of lightDark Opera is a glorious beacon of lightDark Opera is a glorious beacon of lightDark Opera is a glorious beacon of lightDark Opera is a glorious beacon of light
London
MC Status: 460
Relaxation techniques to improve production

Has anyone ever tried? Like autogenic training or meditation (in all its shapes)?
I guess a deeper and relaxed state of mind could only improve our creativity.

Advertisements

Dark Opera is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
Kenophos
Granular Poster
Kenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to beholdKenophos is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660
Re: Relaxation techniques to improve production

Try going for a walk. Don't bring any phone or anything you can listen to music with: listen to the birds instead. Be outside for at least an hour, I've found it can really help.
Kenophos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kenophos
Daggit (26-08-2017)
Old 29-06-2016, 06:30 PM   #3
Dark Opera
Minor Glitch
Dark Opera is a glorious beacon of lightDark Opera is a glorious beacon of lightDark Opera is a glorious beacon of lightDark Opera is a glorious beacon of lightDark Opera is a glorious beacon of light
London

That's a good one, but sometimes when you are really stressed....
Anyways, a year ago i tried Autogenic Training (if it's correct in english), and i experienced some real moment of relaxation and peace. It's something used a lot in sports and agonistic disciplines. But i had many difficulties to repeat the experience, as it's so easy to get distracted by all the daily preoccupations we have.
So i was wondering if anyone else ever tried succesfully and how it works in conjunction with music production.

------------------
Old 29-06-2016, 08:15 PM   #4
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25310

get ready for a bunch of suggestions to mastrubate.

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 08:32 PM   #5
Dark Opera
Minor Glitch
London

ahahah well, i guess it's already widely known

------------------
Old 04-07-2016, 11:23 AM   #6
rmedhurst
IDMf Supporter
rmedhurst is a jewel in the roughrmedhurst is a jewel in the roughrmedhurst is a jewel in the roughrmedhurst is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

search

purple plates 4.5 inch

purpleplates
rmedhurst is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #7
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 18210

get a dog seriously take it for walk then go home and furiously masturbate till threes nothing left to come out
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #8
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
NJ
MC Status: 91357123

I studied Zen and meditation for a while, there's a lot more to it than can ever be explained in an internet thread but there's a few things I've learned..

So you sit there, the meditation stance isn't really necessary but it's helpful to relax and try to have an ok posture, and contrary to what I've commonly heard about trying to think about nothing, I have found this doesn't work at all. You have to think about it, everything including things that you are trying not to think about, breathe in slowly and deeply and let the pressure build, then breathe out and let it all go,

and possibly sigh or groan when you do like 'ugggghhhh'

then you can think of nothing, or listen to some music or something. pretty much anything with a slow tempo and lighter sounds will cause you to feel more relaxed. I've heard this music that was really good for this and posted it in another thread but it's this psychedelic chillout music..

Lab's Cloud:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwHM...0VMo0XDLZKPajk

that and maybe skip the caffeine for a day if you haven't tried that already. I hope this helps!

------------------
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #9
Knob Twiddler
666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute
#Quit IDMf
MC Status: 7010

Weed and booze, weed and booze

I'm serious, it works.

------------------
666 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:56 PM   #10
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941831
Thanked 5,673 Times in 3,575 Posts

Swimming at night in a pool is relaxing.

------------------
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:16 AM   #11
Buzz BassDesign
Minor Glitch
Buzz BassDesign is a jewel in the roughBuzz BassDesign is a jewel in the roughBuzz BassDesign is a jewel in the roughBuzz BassDesign is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

For me I work better with sleep deprivation, it just shots off that logical, thinking all the time part of your brain.
Buzz BassDesign is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 11:32 PM   #12
Dark Opera
Minor Glitch
London

"I studied Zen and meditation for a while, there's a lot more to it than can ever be explained in an internet thread but there's a few things I've learned.."

For the few results i had been able to get, i can definitely tell that there's something to it.
It's really having an impact on the mind and consequently on the body. It's like being in peace with everything.
It seems to me that whatever the technique, the target is "carpe diem", live the moment and get rid of the unnecessary thoughts. Easy to say, a little more challenging to achieve.

------------------
Old 17-07-2016, 07:43 AM   #13
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20210

my usual producing techniques involve not sleeping, I produce at like 4 in the morning to get the most chill, laidback sound.

also, try producing while floating on a boat, it really makes me come up with some interesting songs.
for my kind of music (depressive, chill) you want to really get into the feeling you are trying to portray in your song, anger, happiness, sadness, etc...

if you want to get real focused and make something specific, without drugs of course
(insert south park meme), you can take a break every 10-20 minutes and get up, look around (realize you need to clean up your shit off of the floor)

since I use ableton, it always helps to watch some of their push demo videos or demo videos for ableton, just to get some really good inspiring feelings going.

and even as sarcastic as the people on here are, I would ask for help, or ideas, WIP's usually get a lot of feedback.

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mute machine
mnkvolcno (17-07-2016)
Old 17-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #14
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222281184
Thanked 2,600 Times in 1,731 Posts

mate you do not make depressive/chill stfu

stop taking anti depressants and grab your life by the balls ffs

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 12:20 PM   #15
Dark Opera
Minor Glitch
London

In my life experience i made music under a lot of different states: drugs, sleep deprivation, alchool, before & after sex, stress or chilled situations....
Now, being interested in consciousness expansion techniques for my own curiosity and life exploration, i was just asking here if everyone ever tried. I'm not in need as i can produce music anyways... i was just curios to try and hear more about this.
I appreciate any contribution here, but obviously the sarcastic ones are not satisfying my quest.
I just discovered that other people have been talking about meditation and other techniques on this forum, so maybe i might stick and comment to those topics.

On a side note, many artists i listen practice these techniques: John Hopkins is practicing autogenic training for example.

------------------
Old 17-07-2016, 04:53 PM   #16
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20210

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
mate you do not make depressive/chill stfu

stop taking anti depressants and grab your life by the balls ffs
I have stopped, quite a while back actually.

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mute machine
FunkMasterBrown (17-07-2016)
Old 18-07-2016, 03:21 AM   #17
Knob Twiddler
666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute
#Quit IDMf
MC Status: 7010

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
Oh wait, I have debilitating anxiety. This wouldn't even work

------------------
666 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 12:47 AM   #18
sterioevo
Regular Freak
sterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud of
Tamworth
MC Status: 1194

Working in a home studio I have come to the realisation that I need an empty house with no distractions (wife and children) to focus and be productive. The other alternative is when everyone is asleep and the "noise floor" is reduced - although this is a headphone only session. If I don't respect these things I end up stressed trying to get stuff done.

In the meantime yoga, tai chi, meditation, bush walks, good food all help. I also listen to mantras from time to time.
sterioevo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 04:40 PM   #19
samplefocus
Regular Freak
samplefocus is a glorious beacon of lightsamplefocus is a glorious beacon of lightsamplefocus is a glorious beacon of lightsamplefocus is a glorious beacon of lightsamplefocus is a glorious beacon of light

Checkout out calm.com. Or the Headspace app for iOS.
samplefocus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to samplefocus
666 (25-07-2016)
Old 25-07-2016, 05:39 PM   #20
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65410
Thanked 1,308 Times in 987 Posts

Sleep with earplugs; it gives your ears the 6-8 hour rest that they and your brain needs. This is a big one; it makes a really big difference. I learned about this in Psychoacoustics class in college.

Also, of course take silence breaks throughout the day if you are busy on tunes.

And when you start getting the instinct to turn the music up, it means your ears and getting sore so you actually need to turn the music DOWN significantly and/or take a 15-30 minute break. Naps help alot too.

Advertisements

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
vashima (03-09-2016)