[JAWM] Bognor Regis Fun Cunt
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 12-30-2015, 10:46 PM   #1
FunkMasterBrown
Bastard!!!IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222279284
Thanked 2,562 Times in 1,710 Posts
[JAWM] Bognor Regis Fun Cunt

Hellooo and welcome to my JAWM.
starting it early (around christmas time) but probably ending it early... or not... we will see.

all music will be made using:
Roland SP555
Roland SP404 to record to
Akai Miniak synthesiser

all samples from vinyl or microphone except the very small amount of drums already on the sp555 which is basically 3 808 sounds and a handful of muffled gathunks. im taking this really seriously... ive already ordered a record from discogs at great expense (a fiver) just to sample a track!

anyway

i just got the sp555 a few weeks before christmas but waited til i had a gap to start playing with it. this is the very first thing i did while i was working my way around it:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

dont think ill use it if i have enough tracks at the end. sounds like a washing machine is in there

this was my second one and i was scoping the synth/sampler potential. im proud of the different parts cause i had to play em in right and on time which was hard but really this is and idea thats going nowhere:

once it drops down to the bass it just comes back again but twice as shite. a real problem with the 555 is that making loops is all fine and dandy but incorporating any type of movement with knob tweaking is basically impossible and arrangement wise going from one pattern to the next is the only way to get varition unless you play something live. this is salvageable but is fuck all atm^ also it sounded way better than the other two so i shitted it up with some big scary lofi compression. might do all the music like this?

this is the first real track. the others will sound like this (forget the first two):

i actually think this will be the best one of the bunch in the end. dunno about the crazy delay bit. vox from a pissed up freestyle over christmas. certain synth bits are out of time and its far from what i wanted but this is the best arrangement after spending a lonnnng time trying to get it right

IF YOU LISTEN TO ONE PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS ONE^

and thats my JAWM thing. oh also i will be making this music under the moniker of 'Bognor Regis Fun Cunt' (spelled like that but pronounced without the vowels: Bgnr Rgs Fn Cnt' - its future cool... dont worry about it) in order to channel the right vibes

cheers. soz for going over the top with the explanation.

Last edited by FunkMasterBrown; 12-31-2015 at 12:46 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:50 PM   #2
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 20910
Re: [JAWM] Bognor Regis Fun Cunt

Gonna check thi out when I can!
I am on my second for JAWM myself! Cheaters!

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
FunkMasterBrown (12-31-2015)
Old 12-31-2015, 12:31 AM   #3
Tsachi
i don't understand
Tsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8010

I like the pad and bass sounds in the second one. In fact, I like the second one a lot! Lovely chord choices, very daft punky.

If I'm not mistaken, the second and third ones are the same track...

------------------

Lol wut happened to the chatbox
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Tsachi
Old 12-31-2015, 12:35 AM   #4
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8503280
Thanked 6,247 Times in 4,484 Posts

Third track: Seems somewhat different, in a good way, than a lot of what I've listened to of yours recently. Overall solid arrangement. Nice changes. I like the synth sounds. I always tend to stay away from mix comments for an album writing month track, but I like the lo-fi muffled vibe on this. Maybe my ears are shit, but I didn't hear anything grossly out of time?

First track: I like the energy and all the different synth patches. The percussion gets a tad tedious for me, but I like the busy synth biz going on. Especially the bending one that kind sounds like a bad electric guitar emulation.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Old 12-31-2015, 12:47 AM   #5
FunkMasterBrown
Bastard!!!IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsachi View Post
I like the pad and bass sounds in the second one. In fact, I like the second one a lot! Lovely chord choices, very daft punky.

If I'm not mistaken, the second and third ones are the same track...
ahhh fuck! thanks for the heads up man also i very much appreciate the listen! cheers

------------------
Old 12-31-2015, 12:51 AM   #6
FunkMasterBrown
Bastard!!!IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Third track: Seems somewhat different, in a good way, than a lot of what I've listened to of yours recently. Overall solid arrangement. Nice changes. I like the synth sounds. I always tend to stay away from mix comments for an album writing month track, but I like the lo-fi muffled vibe on this. Maybe my ears are shit, but I didn't hear anything grossly out of time?

First track: I like the energy and all the different synth patches. The percussion gets a tad tedious for me, but I like the busy synth biz going on. Especially the bending one that kind sounds like a bad electric guitar emulation.
hey man, thanks for always listeningi cocked it up... the link is sorted now. the track you heard as the third is actually the second so im happy you didnt think the arrangement was too bad cause i thought it was soul destroying lol
theres already another on the way, this JAWM thing couldnt be better timed im loving it! i realised that it takes more time to make a simple track using this kit but i can spend much longer doing it in one sitting. its great to have the full capabilities always available as opposed to how it is working with my computer, i didnt realise just how hard it is

cheers!

------------------
Old 12-31-2015, 12:53 AM   #7
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8503280
Thanked 6,247 Times in 4,484 Posts

actual third track: that is a bit more what I would expect from you, wild track man. All the little stutter-y edits are really nice. Like where you go with the delay on the vocal. Etc. Love the wonky-pitched synth. Generally a fun track. Defo have your JAWM off to a great start. Oh loving that super stutter-y bit right at the end. I'd listen all over again just to get to the end there!

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Old 12-31-2015, 01:47 AM   #8
Tsachi
i don't understand
Tsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8010

I drink booooze booooze booze

I loooove the square lead

------------------

Lol wut happened to the chatbox
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Tsachi
Old 12-31-2015, 02:03 AM   #9
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153410
Thanked 3,068 Times in 2,151 Posts

Holy fucking shit.

I'm getting some insane Sega Genesis / nostalgia vibes from these, and when it's coupled with that dirty, horribly (in a good way) lo-fi quality, it just makes everything feel so right. Everything is either so god damn compressed and / or saturated that when it comes together, my whole body says, "yes".

You very well may have ended up in whatever experimental realm in which my brain resides, whether by accident or on purpose, but I would buy cassettes filled with these half-baked ideas forever. No need for polish, reconstruction, or anything else IMHO.

Take what you will from that. I'm drunk.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:28 AM   #10
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 20910

Man ar you doing all this on the sp's?
That's pretty bad ass! The second track has a weird funky IDM vibe
And the third the sampled chops are cool man, I often try doing the sample chop thing on push but it never really turns out quite so cool! Oh I also dink booze
Can you sequence external synths with the sp series samplers?
Looking forward to what else you can pull off in the rest of the month!

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
Old 12-31-2015, 02:02 PM   #11
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744001441
Thanked 6,680 Times in 4,181 Posts

Nice one fnct
Haven't got time to go through them now but I'll have a listen later

New idea for QAWMs like this.
At the end of your month, you zip up your whole stem pack and pass it on to the next guy for them to do one with it, not remix but whole new thing (I guess you could do a remix album too if you prefer)
pretty obvious idea really, why aren't you doing this already?
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
Old 12-31-2015, 03:38 PM   #12
FunkMasterBrown
Bastard!!!IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
Holy fucking shit.

I'm getting some insane Sega Genesis / nostalgia vibes from these, and when it's coupled with that dirty, horribly (in a good way) lo-fi quality, it just makes everything feel so right. Everything is either so god damn compressed and / or saturated that when it comes together, my whole body says, "yes".

You very well may have ended up in whatever experimental realm in which my brain resides, whether by accident or on purpose, but I would buy cassettes filled with these half-baked ideas forever. No need for polish, reconstruction, or anything else IMHO.

Take what you will from that. I'm drunk.
you drink booze!

really glad youre feeling these mate im always very happy on the rare occasion i make someones body say yes hopefully you will like whats to come, im excited about this!

------------------
Old 12-31-2015, 03:48 PM   #13
FunkMasterBrown
Bastard!!!IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Man ar you doing all this on the sp's?
That's pretty bad ass! The second track has a weird funky IDM vibe
And the third the sampled chops are cool man, I often try doing the sample chop thing on push but it never really turns out quite so cool! Oh I also dink booze
Can you sequence external synths with the sp series samplers?
Looking forward to what else you can pull off in the rest of the month!
hey thanks mate

i cant sequence external synths, that would be amazing cause then it would solve my tweaking problem! i had an electribe since i started making tunes, first thing i bought. i sold it like 5 months ago for booze and plane tickets and now i need it more than even it wouldve made this whole thing a complete jizztastic joy. i was down for like 4 days when i discovered this. i resorted to betting to try and win it back and lost 140 quid.

anyyyyyyyway lots of limitations so still trying to work through that cheers!

------------------
Old 12-31-2015, 03:49 PM   #14
FunkMasterBrown
Bastard!!!IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Nice one fnct
Haven't got time to go through them now but I'll have a listen later

New idea for QAWMs like this.
At the end of your month, you zip up your whole stem pack and pass it on to the next guy for them to do one with it, not remix but whole new thing (I guess you could do a remix album too if you prefer)
pretty obvious idea really, why aren't you doing this already?
heya man, are you serious? i dont get it :/ if i did that id have to record them out now they will be deleted soon. wont be that useful either tbh

------------------
Old 12-31-2015, 03:50 PM   #15
FunkMasterBrown
Bastard!!!IDMf Artist

the record i bought on discogs just arrived and its a fucking CD

what a bellend

------------------
Old 01-02-2016, 07:44 PM   #16
FunkMasterBrown
Bastard!!!IDMf Artist

i kinda dont want to show you guys this cause i like it too much but 'mixing' this is a fucking nightmare and i need to tie it up asap and move on so it would be great if you could tell me that the levels are at least bearable. the original sample is incredibly bass heavy and all of the mixing is done leaning against a compressor which has wildly different settings every time i turn the sampler back on

anyway at the risk of sounding like DJ scooter play this semi loud if you can!

i cheated myself btw. this sample is from youtube. after buying a CD for 5 quid i thought i earned myself the right to break the rules a little. i heard the sample on my phone when i was in the shower as it popped up on 'my mix' on youtube and new straight away i had to sample it. the best sound in the world as far as im concerned is those crappy 70s bands with names like the temptations, the notations, the natural four etc. really out of time band and clean guitar sound.

EDIT: this has to be one of my favourite ever tunes that ive made which is saying a lot. i would rather have 15 of these than 15 of my technical bests. the sp555 makes me jog on the spot. merry christmas

Last edited by FunkMasterBrown; 01-03-2016 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: kitchen dancing

------------------
Old 01-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #17
FunkMasterBrown
Bastard!!!IDMf Artist

ok so WOW ive spent all day on this one and my head is going to explode. somewhere along the line ive made some bad decisions and now the loop is unclear, the drums arent right at all, and for some reason the entire loop stalls when it starts again. its just a thing that the sp does apparently

this is all as a result of having to resample loops and making shit mono and all the things that means it takes an incredible amount of time to make simple tracks and the process ends up fucking it up anywayyy

was gonna try and put some form of vox on this but right now i dont even know who i am. cheers

edit: ill be looking at this tomorrow and probably doing a different arrangement

------------------
Old 01-04-2016, 09:11 PM   #18
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744001441
Thanked 6,680 Times in 4,181 Posts

So yeah, I don't think you have to get the mixes done as part of the time limit dude.
Dunno what rules you're adhering too tbh though.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:14 PM   #19
FunkMasterBrown
Bastard!!!IDMf Artist

lol there is no such thing as a mix with what im doing. i cant pan anything, nothing is EQd except to boost the shit out of everything to get some gain. level settings is just pure guess work. this track has midi synced 404 playing back in through the external input. an absoloute mess. i have to remember to turn things on up and down during the 'arrangement' which is me 'playing' it live

------------------
Thanks to FunkMasterBrown
lolirl (01-05-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 11:57 PM   #20
FunkMasterBrown
Bastard!!!IDMf Artist

okayyyy next one. will probably re record it tomorrow cause i fucked the end up but mainly cause i realised that its all slightly panned to one side once id done it. it will basically sound exactly like this though:

nightmare to make, really starting to get fed up with the sampler now. very much a love hate thing going on. to get the seamless retriggers that i just cant get on the sequencer or even play really i had to do all the chops on the sp404. then when you press delete everything blinks and you can preview the pads which you want to delete. you can only play one at a time at this point and it creates a choke group! so i had to record me playing the chops in delete mode to a metronome... sounds easy but took hours. aaaaaaanyway yeah, cheers

Advertisements

------------------