Trippy Dark Downtempo recs
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 12-23-2014, 05:11 AM   #1
androdion
Analog Lurker
androdion is just really niceandrodion is just really niceandrodion is just really niceandrodion is just really niceandrodion is just really nice
MC Status: 410
Trippy Dark Downtempo recs

Hi. So, I've been on the lookout for a specific kind of sound over the past few years, but regrettably I've had little results with my quest. Basically I love stuff like Massive Attack or Portishead, the good old trip hop, but I'm not really into hip hop so to speak. I love the darker shades of the beats but I'm not that much into the rhythmic vocal style, so most recommendations I followed before had me going after something I wasn't really going to enjoy. So, if there are any trip hop or dark downtempo acts that sound remotely similar, or close in style, to Mezzanine/100th Window or the first two Portishead albums then I'm game. Just don't recommend stuff with glitch elements, I really dislike glitch.

Following that request, I'm also on the lookout for dark moody downtempo that doesn't go too much into dream pop, although it can have some influences of that, so to speak. Yes it can have a shade or two of dream pop, but lets' not make it the bulk of it. It's like with dark ambient; I don't like it when the music is comprised mostly by it, but when it's part of a bigger picture then it can serve its purpose perfectly.

Also, I don't mind crossover acts that mix all of the above. In fact I would really like to hear more stuff like the first Subheim album. I just love the way it mixes a dreamy cinematic atmosphere with groovey beats and ambient parts. I'm not very fond of the sophomore because it has too much Dead Can Dance influences and vocal parts. Another example of what I'd like to be recommended would be urban sounding stuff like Eraldo Bernocchi's collaboration album with Blackfilm. Those massive groovey beats are just amazing.

I'm a bit of nut for dynamics too, so I mostly prefer albums that showcase a big variety within their playing time, more so than albums which tend to be kind of the same song repeated x times (or constantly grinding the same dynamics). I like repetitive stuff, but in this request I'd prefer more emphasis on dynamics.

I think that's about it. I'll try my best to keep up with what'll be recommended and give my honest feedback to improve the conversation.

Advertisements

androdion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to androdion
Nystagmus (09-08-2015)
Old 12-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 15910
Re: Trippy Dark Downtempo recs

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdion View Post
In fact I would really like to hear more stuff like the first Subheim album. I just love the way it mixes a dreamy cinematic atmosphere with groovey beats and ambient parts. I'm not very fond of the sophomore because it has too much Dead Can Dance influences and vocal parts.
Spot on. I totally love his first album, but can't get into the 2nd one at all. Though it's interesting you say you don't like glitch, but love this album, since I hear plenty of glitches and clicky things there. Anyway, I can recommend this James Murray album, which to me seems along the same lines:

Ultimae records has some darker downtempo stuff, though it leans more toward synth-y/psychedelic side of things. People like Carbon Based Lifeforms/Sync24, some of Aes Dana.

Also, Tympanik records has plenty of dark cinematic albums, though a lot of them ARE pretty glitch heavy, so you have to dig a little.

Maybe these?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

http://tympanikaudio.bandcamp.com/al...-of-affliction

(this one is mostly beatless, but if you like this, then check out the rest of his material, as it's just like that, but with minimal glitchy beats)

Last edited by iDoG; 12-28-2014 at 01:36 AM..
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
androdion
Analog Lurker
androdion is just really niceandrodion is just really niceandrodion is just really niceandrodion is just really niceandrodion is just really nice

Hey man, thanks a lot for replying!

I'm not a fan of glitch yeah, but I can see where you're coming from with that remark. I did get some recommendations before, like 65daysofstatic and a few other projects that I don't recall the names at the moment that sounded folky and medieval with a heavy case of glitch beats. That much I can't really enjoy, as it gets a bit too much.

I appreciate all your recommendations, and the effort behind it, so I'll do my best to check them all out and reply. But with my current work schedule and Christmas in a couple of days it may take some time to formulate a proper opinion. I'll try and be back at most by the end of the week.

By the way, Carbon Based Lifeforms isn't my thing. Is the rest of that label more or less along the same lines as them?
Old 12-23-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp
Orchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MC
MC Status: 65292796

One of my favorite Ultimae releases! Lovely, idiosyncratic stuff...

androdion, you can also try these ones:

From Boozoo Bajou's '4'.

From Nedry's 'In A Dim Light'.

From John Lemke‘s 'People Do'.

Orchidaceae is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp
Orchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MC

These might interest you as well:

Samples from Stewart Walker's 'Ivory Tower Broadcast'.

Thanks to Orchidaceae
Nystagmus (09-08-2015)
Old 12-24-2014, 05:06 AM   #6
androdion
Analog Lurker

Holy crap! Just came home and realized I have a ton of stuff to check out. Thanks a bunch guys, I'll do my best to listen to everything as soon as possible.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:05 PM   #7
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

Check out blue foundation.

The blue foundation album
and the Sweep of days album are particularly good.

Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #8
androdion
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crude_beats View Post
Check out blue foundation.

The blue foundation album
and the Sweep of days album are particularly good.
I will, thanks!

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
- I've heard all four albums your recommended, so here it goes:

- James Murray seems interesting, really soothing stuff with a few interesting dynamics, although it does come out a bit "still", if you catch my drift. Not exactly what I wanted but it's interesting enough for me to want to give it more spins, which I will.

- With Tangent I had more or less the same response, in the way that it isn't quite there yet but I still need to check it out further to be sure. It's definitely interesting stuff but could be a bit "busier", you know?! Of course I may end up loving it still, I only gave it one full spin and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

- The r.roo album was cool, despite being mostly beatless like you said, but the best part of it is when there is integration of beats. Just love the dynamics on those songs, and if the entire album would be like that then it would be awesome! I was wondering about exploring the rest of his works like you mentioned, any pointers there?

- And finally Zinovia. And here I have to handed it to you, what a brilliant album it is! From the moment I hit play and "The Blue Shade Of Dawn Covered Your Skin" started I was feeling goosebumps all over me. Really dark and trippy stuff, with a very interesting use of dynamics and a lovely rhythmic development. Clearly a winner here, what an amazing album!

I'll be back with more feedback on the other recommendations. In the meantime, happy holidays!
Old 12-25-2014, 09:46 PM   #9
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 15910

Quote:
- The r.roo album was cool, despite being mostly beatless like you said, but the best part of it is when there is integration of beats. Just love the dynamics on those songs, and if the entire album would be like that then it would be awesome! I was wondering about exploring the rest of his works like you mentioned, any pointers there?
i don't think you can go wrong with any of his albums, but maybe you can start with 'Mgnovenie', as it's closer to that same vibe, but with glitchy beats (and also probably my favorite of his):

also, someone just posted this in another thread about Disparition. never heard of these guys, but after listening to some of the tracks from several albums, this should be right up your alley, since it sounds to me closer to older Massive Attack kind of vibe, though more experimental and diverse. all their albums are free for the rest of the year, so go nuts:

Last edited by iDoG; 12-25-2014 at 10:03 PM..
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to iDoG
Chozo Tull (12-25-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #10
androdion
Analog Lurker

Thanks, I'll most certainly check out Mgnovenie.

I'll have to eat my own words regarding that Tangent album though. I've been listening to it again since my last post, and it's not like the album isn't "busy" enough, as it has a lot of interesting rhythms and dynamics. It's just that the album bounces back and forth between busier faster songs and slower more ambientesque passages. It was a bit of a misjudgement on my side, and the album is definitely great, though it may take some extra spins for every tiny detail to sink in. Seems like a keeper though, so thanks again!

PS: I'll check out Disparition as well then.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:13 PM   #11
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Quote:
- And finally Zinovia. And here I have to handed it to you, what a brilliant album it is! From the moment I hit play and "The Blue Shade Of Dawn Covered Your Skin" started I was feeling goosebumps all over me. Really dark and trippy stuff, with a very interesting use of dynamics and a lovely rhythmic development. Clearly a winner here, what an amazing album!
Than you'll probably love the Bersarin Quartett album I've recommended earlier in the thread.

And here is one more for dessert: from Natalie Beridze's Forget'fulness.

Thanks to Orchidaceae
badmotor (12-26-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 10:19 PM   #12
androdion
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidaceae View Post
Than you'll probably love the Bersarin Quartett album I've recommended earlier in the thread.
I'll get right to it. And thanks for the added extra.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:35 PM   #13
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Quote:
I'll get right to it. And thanks for the added extra.
My pleasure

And I must say, all the albums I've recommended here are lovely. Each has its own unique personality.

P.S. two other Tympanik Audio releases I love: '10​:​10pm' by Undermathic, and 'L36' by SE.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:08 PM   #14
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Oh, and based on your posts here, there's actually another Ultimae album you should check out:

And you might enjoy this one as well --- a real grower though, takes a bit of time to really get into, but once you're in, you're hooked. Built like a journey. An Aleph Zero release:

And of course: Marconi Union's 'Different Colours'.

Anything by Marconi Union is highly recommended in fact.

That's it for today I think

Last edited by Orchidaceae; 12-25-2014 at 11:17 PM..
Old 12-25-2014, 11:30 PM   #15
androdion
Analog Lurker

Nice call on Bersarin Quartett, although they have these off-kilter moments when they're full-on ambient passage and then bam, straight into a busier and usually louder segment. Very moody music but it's great stuff no doubt.

And with your latest posts I now have something like twenty different albums to check out. Oh my, this may take a while!
Old 12-25-2014, 11:55 PM   #16
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Quote:
Nice call on Bersarin Quartett, although they have these off-kilter moments when they're full-on ambient passage and then bam, straight into a busier and usually louder segment. Very moody music but it's great stuff no doubt.
And it gets better and better with time
It's just one guy by the way. As far as I know.

Quote:
And with your latest posts I now have something like twenty different albums to check out. Oh my, this may take a while!
And just to make things more difficult for you Here are two more:

From Hidden Orchestra's 'Archipelago' (more on the jazzy side of the spectrum though).

From Sean Byrd's 'Always Was'.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:28 AM   #17
androdion
Analog Lurker

Oh well, at least I can't complain about not having recs, ha ha. I like this Forum!
Old 12-26-2014, 02:33 AM   #18
androdion
Analog Lurker

So, a bit more of feedback then:

- Boozoo Bajou left little of an impression with "Phonetrik", but even still I checked out the full album samples. That didn't make my doubts any clearer though, so I heard the entire album elsewhere and I can't say it impressed me all that much. I found it too stale to be honest, and it didn't grab my attention at all.

- I was listening to Nedry, and some songs of In A Dim Light, and I can't say it convinced me all that much. Her vocal style ranges from OK to creeping under my nerves, depending on how far she twists her tone, and the music seems to have a bit of a dub influence (although I'm no expert on that, so please correct me if I'm wrong), which really isn't my thing. I though "Float" was kind of nice but the rest didn't make me very interested.

- Likewise, I've listened to a few John Lemke songs from People Do, which I found somewhat interesting. I'll reserve further judgement for after a few more listening sessions, although what I've listened to I did enjoy. That sax on "Shatterbox" is quite lovely, and it definitely got me curious about how the rest of the album sounds.

PS: Just noticed that Disparition's music is digital only... Sorry guys, I only do music that exists in CD format. It's just the way I roll.

Last edited by androdion; 12-26-2014 at 03:04 AM..
Old 12-26-2014, 11:55 AM   #19
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Quote:
So, a bit more of feedback then:

- Boozoo Bajou left little of an impression with "Phonetrik", but even still I checked out the full album samples. That didn't make my doubts any clearer though, so I heard the entire album elsewhere and I can't say it impressed me all that much. I found it too stale to be honest, and it didn't grab my attention at all.
Well, it's all a matter of taste of course But as I'm sure you know, sometimes an album you really didn't feel at first, later on becomes a favorite.

Quote:
I was listening to Nedry... the music seems to have a bit of a dub influence (although I'm no expert on that, so please correct me if I'm wrong)which really isn't my thing.
More of a dubstep kinda thing going on in their case.
Dub isn't your thing? That's a shame, you're missing out on so much great music. It's also a bit surprising as on the first post here you say you love 'Mezzanine' --- an album that contains plenty of dub elements.

Try these ones when you get the chance ( maybe they will turn you onto the wonders of dub )

Quote:
- Likewise, I've listened to a few John Lemke songs from People Do, which I found somewhat interesting. I'll reserve further judgement for after a few more listening sessions, although what I've listened to I did enjoy. That sax on "Shatterbox" is quite lovely, and it definitely got me curious about how the rest of the album sounds.
More info here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

He also released a great EP this year -- 'Walizka'.

Quote:
PS: Just noticed that Disparition's music is digital only... Sorry guys, I only do music that exists in CD format. It's just the way I roll.
Mmm.. I was like that too... but in recent years too many great albums were released as digital-only, I had to start buying digital-only releases as well.

Here's an example of a brilliant digital-only album from earlier this year:

Anyway, glad to see you're going through all the recommendations here. Hope you'll keep going and find some stuff you enjoy.

Here's another great one you should check out:

Old 12-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #20
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

And one more from Ultimae you should try:

Advertisements