Music Visualization Software
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 09-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
arpeggio_junkie
Soundscaper
arpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of light
San Diego, California
MC Status: 460
Real-time Visualization Lighting Show

Hi,

I created this real-time music visualization software from scratch over the past few months and plan to use it in my upcoming live set shows in Southern California. It actually makes the animation as the music plays inside the DAW, so you can do all sorts of crazy live mix-up stuff in Ableton & FL Studio, etc., like, you can play stuff live on a MIDI controller and having it show up on the screen mixed in with the other graphics.

What you see is a bare-bones proof-of-concept demonstration that I threw together using all the basic shapes implemented so far.

I'm seriously stumped for inspiration and wondering if anyone has any interesting ideas how this could be integrated more-so with the audience's experience to make the show even more engaging and live-esque? I could theoretically make it interact with a Microsoft Kinect from an XBox360? Like a fake light sabre battle?

Or, the system could support people in the audience sending text messages to a predefined number, and somehow a few choice selected messages could get displayed on the screen. E.g. you could have the people in the crowd text their favorite sports team the the most texted team gets displayed? (that kinda sounds cheesy, though).

Cheers, -Arpeggio Junkie

Advertisements

arpeggio_junkie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to arpeggio_junkie
PROton42 (10-06-2014)
Old 09-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #2
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38897
Re: Music Visualization Software

That's awesome! I don't really have any ideas, but something to do with live video from a web cam or camera interfering with the stuff. I'd also love to add own textures and changing them on the fly or a long video playing as texture.

Also would be nice if it could pick audio signal from the mic input, I don't use DAW when I perform stuff live.
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 11:31 PM   #3
PenExpers1878
Granular Poster
PenExpers1878 is a splendid one to beholdPenExpers1878 is a splendid one to beholdPenExpers1878 is a splendid one to beholdPenExpers1878 is a splendid one to beholdPenExpers1878 is a splendid one to beholdPenExpers1878 is a splendid one to beholdPenExpers1878 is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

I did something similar for my final year college project but nothing as extensive as yours , using a kinect could be good for you or indeed a webcam , similar to how Aphex Twin does it live .
PenExpers1878 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 08:26 PM   #4
rmedhurst
IDMf Supporter
rmedhurst is a jewel in the roughrmedhurst is a jewel in the roughrmedhurst is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Er, is this really running in real-time? It looks like its pre-made for the video

:S

It is nice though!

------------------
rmedhurst is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:42 AM   #5
SadSandwich
Minor Glitch
SadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to behold
Plano, TX
MC Status: 760

How is this running in realtime? I am extremely interested to see how it was made as well.

Put something like this in VR and let people throw their own music in,
SadSandwich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:33 AM   #6
arpeggio_junkie
Soundscaper
arpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of light
San Diego, California

Yes, it's really running in real-time. MIDI events stimulate the graphical entities.

You can assign any instrument to any graphical entity.

I have even implemented a widget to display scales graphically.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:42 AM   #7
arpeggio_junkie
Soundscaper
San Diego, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSandwich View Post
How is this running in realtime? I am extremely interested to see how it was made as well...
MIDI notes are intercepted for each instrument and converted into packets by the computer running the DAW. The packets are then transmitted through a computer network. A second computer (not running a DAW) which is dedicated exclusively to processing graphics, receives the packets which are decoded and converted into graphical events. A projector displays the video output on a wall.

You can visualize an entire song showing every single instrument.

Advertisements